Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

8 hours ago, joboss said:

""8 Joseph 1-6 what can i say?""

Some BYES coming up mid season,,

My chance to trade up to a full team...

I am leading the tipping at work,  tips 49,  Margin 208.

Spread yourself about abit,  sure to pop up a winner somewhere.

Not many smart guys on high rise construction Jo, but lets look at it as glass half full rather than you dont have much competition....here your up against some very long in the years men from all back grounds with mucho experiences.....we will teach you a lot...

ps if your in need of that magic spray just drop me a line in my inbox fella...

Monday news...Angus Brayshaw a promising young Dee mid ironed out 2 1/2 min into his return game at Casey on the weekend after a 3 week lay off for confusion, this will be is 4th and 3rd in 12 months....we know how the story could unfold it could be time for the kid to wear  head protection..

Rocked Eade was dejected after the China game, after knocking off the Cats failed to turn up,  Rod was expected to have a dream run with the Suns, instead the Gold Coast malaise continues...The Lions never did any good on the HOLIDAY coast they improved once they hit the burbs of Brisbane, Suns should relocate and Tassie would love to have them.

The 2 mids Cats slamed by coach Scott as disgraceful there performance against the Dons, 13 tackles to half time then 39 for the game against 82, conceded that they would have been lucky to win as they drew within 12 points meanwhile Woosher says "it was a good team rolling the dice" what ever that means...

Kotch reveals the Power are working too make Hinkley a 10 year coach..then what? at the same time turns on the blow torch and says the club cannot afford to NOT make the finals this year for the 3rd straight season..

As i predicted the Swans have returned....the old guard rise to the occasion lucky in past seasons to have quality kids come in perhaps the depth isn't there anymore still the Swans system is the best in the land, I'm tipping for them to keep on rolling now there getting there regulars back.

The tagger maybe back, North's use of Sam Gibson and the Dee's use of Bernie 200 gamer Vince to Tagg Crow Sloane influence were keys to beating the Crows the last 2 games, Pies Greenwood tagged Cats Selwood to great affect as well...

• Like 2

The Tackle: Steve Johnson answers the critics and adds to Nathan Buckley’s despair

AFTER having his future questioned, Stevie J answered the critics the only way he knew how.

He denied Collingwood a brave victory with his superb last-minute goal, that also added to Magpies coach Nathan Buckley’s despair.

MARK ROBINSON looks at the highlights and lowlights from Round 8.

WHAT I LIKE

1. Steve Johnson

THE front and square, the one-touch gather, the goal, the fist pump, the spittle ... it was Stevie J’s finest moment at Greater Western Sydney. Under pressure for his performances in recent weeks, Johnson responded with his best game of the season. It was an emotional Johnson in the post-match as he spoke about recent conversations with coach Leon Cameron and clearly he was aware half the football world had been writing him off.

Not so his former coach Mark Thompson who declared you should never write off a champion. Moments after Johnson’s goal Thompson said: “Stevie might not be finished ... loved his post-goal celebration. Passion. Wish I was a good lip reader.’’

2. Josh Kelly

IT is beyond doubt the Kelly for Christian Salem/Dom Tyson deal has Kelly in front. So much so you could argue Kelly is the best performed Giants midfielder this year. Didn’t think he was worth $1 million per year over nine years, which is on the table from North Melbourne, but this kid might be worth every cent. The Giants will have to offer at least $700,000. He had a career-high 36 disposals, game-high 11 tackles and a game-high 10 score involvements, although Levi Greenwood did quell him somewhat in the second half.

3. Delivering

DOWN by four points, three of Fremantle’s best players seized the moment. At the centre bounce, with 20 seconds to play, Aaron Sandilands put his body between the ball and the opposition and knocked it to Lachie Neale, who had watched Richmond’s Dustin Martin go for the ball and not get it. Neale got a shepherd from Sandilands, scooted through the middle and kicked it to David Mundy, who kicked the winner. It sounds simple enough, but the tension was absolute.

4. Melbourne

THIS might be performance of the year. On Saturday night Melbourne dismantled the most attacking team in the competition at home. Defensively the Dees shut down the Crows, denying them their turnover game. Before this round, Adelaide averaged 87 points per game from turnovers. Melbourne conceded 44 points and the Demons kept the Crows to their second lowest score since 2015.

There was plenty to like, such as Christian Petracca playing midfield in the second half. But if you’re looking for a player symbolic of Melbourne’s commitment it was Jayden Hunt. He would be in the discussion for All-Australian because of his bravery off half-back, but it was a different kind of bravery and commitment that helped set the tone. He knocked himself out when he went at Adelaide’s Sam Jacobs in a tackle in the second quarter. It was indicative of how the Demons challenged for the remainder of the game.

5. Conor McKenna

DAVID Zaharakis made an impact after his heart-to-heart with the coach, as did Joe Daniher and his band of small forwards, yet the Irishman also pleased the coach. His skills are a work in progress, but McKenna’s positives are outweighing the negatives. He played his third game in a row and 18th of his career. His run and carry is a standout, as is his speed. And his game knowledge in terms of when and where to run from the back half has vastly improved. Could the project player keep his spot?

6. Carlisle and Billings

BIG Jake was the intercept king and continually thwarted Carlton’s attack. The Saints generated 10 scores from defensive-half intercepts and Carlisle recorded seven defensive-half intercepts. Up the other end, Jack Billings announced himself with an equal career-high 30 disposals, career-high five goals and 11 score involvements.

7. Ryan Burton

WE asked who was in the next wave of youth at Hawthorn and people in the know said Ryan Burton. They were right. This kid is a potential star. In his 11th game, he had a game-high 11 intercept possessions playing across half-back against Brisbane and rates above average across the season for intercept possessions.

8. Andrew Gaff

NOW that tagging is back, it’s time to fix up the prolific Eagles midfielder. Had 35 possessions, took 15 marks and had a game-high 11 score involvements against the Bulldogs on Friday night. He’s had 30-plus in five of his eight games and is one of the best linkmen in the competition. If he could kick more goals, he would an elite midfielder.

9. Patrick Cripps

THE Blues lost this match but Cripps lost no admirers. He doesn’t have the speed to be explosive from stoppages, but he is beast in a team that is becoming a beast to play against. The way Carlton defends keeps it in matches. It controls the game by foot more than any side, recording the highest kick-to-handball ratio of any side. But just 33 inside-50s against the Saints made it difficult to kick a winning score.

10. Port in China

IT was their gig and Port held up its end of the bargain against an ordinary Gold Coast and powered into the top four. Winners everywhere and Brad Ebert was best afield. A standout again was Patrick Ryder who has proved to be best performer of the returning players. Led all comers yesterday and is one of the major reasons Port Adelaide is a contender again

WHAT I DISLIKE

1. Geelong

THIS was so bad you’d think it was a protest from the players. Clearly there is a breakdown somewhere because the tackle differential of -41 was their worst ever. Their pressure factor differential of -42 (203-161) was also their worst recorded.

Their 14 tackles in the first half was the fewest in an opening half under Chris Scott. At halftime, the Cats had just three players who had at least two tackles and they were kids — Nakia Cockatoo, James Parsons and Mark O’Connor. On the other side, Essendon had 15 players. The positive is they lost by just 17 points. The negative is if they were playing a better teams the margin would have been 57 points.

2. So what’s happening?

THE Cats can’t defend and Saturday night’s performance wasn’t a one-off. In the past three weeks they have given up an average 58 points per game from opposition chains starting in the back half. That’s two goals more than any other side has given up. Brisbane is the next worse and if you’re in the same postcode as Brisbane, which is a developing team, you know there are issues. Is strategy the issue or attitude? More than likely both. The want wasn’t there to pressure and the defensive plans are being split open.

3. Has it come to this?

THERE is a possibility of an investigation into the sledging of Marc Murphy by some St Kilda players on Saturday which, if it happens, will be the final straw for the PC-haters. So what if the Saints players hit a nerve with Murphy. So what if Murphy went back at Jake Carlisle. If it has got to the point where it was unacceptable sledging, then it’s something the players should sort out via the Players’ Association. They have code of behaviour, so let’s go there instead of wasting everyone’s time with an investigation.

4. Bulldogs inaccuracy

WHAT is going on at the Kennel? They have an goal accuracy rate of 40.8 per cent, which is ranked 18th in the competition. They have kicked more behinds than goals in each game in the past six weeks — 8.13, 11.14, 9.19, 17.20, 12.17 and 10.13. West Coast’s Josh Kennedy was even worse than the Bulldogs.

5. Gold Coast

VERY poor performance from Rodney Eade’s men. They embarrassed themselves in the first half against Port Adelaide. The score was 65-23 and the lacklustre performance was the let down in the historic first match in China. Eade wasn’t in the brightest spirits having to take his team overseas and he will be even worse after that result because it undid plenty of the good ground made up in recent weeks.

6. No Rory, no Crows?

THE inspiring Brownlow Medal favourite has been tagged in his past two games (North Melbourne’s Sam Gibson first and then Melbourne’s Bernie Vince on Saturday night) and has had 18 and 11 disposals after averaging 30 disposals per game in the opening six weeks. Vince had him for 61 minutes, according to Champion Data, and in that time Sloane had just four touches. Again, why doesn’t it occur more often. Sloane has been tagged 11 times in his career — which is having an opponent for more than 50 minutes — and when he gets tagged he averages 16 disposals and when he’s not, it’s 23 disposals.

7. Tommy’s shoulder

TOMMY Rockliff has had super season and again on Saturday against the Hawks, he brought his own footy to play with. He had 30 disposals, 21 contested disposals, 16 clearances which was eight more than the next player, 13 tackles and five inside 50s. Unfortunately, he popped his shoulder in the final minutes, meaning the Lions will be without its two best mids — Rockliff and Beams — for several weeks.

8. Buckley’s despair

AFTER Steve Johnson kicked the winner, Nathan Buckley buried his head because he knew all was lost. Bucks just can’t take a trick. He took a team under siege without Adam Treloar and matched it with the Giants for all of the game, as his team has done in most matches this season. But the fact is the Pies are 2-6 and are in the bottom three on the ladder and the clock is ticking. And not just on Buckley. If he does go, who else follows?

9. Tigers

TOOK a spray from the coach at three-quarter time to spark a final-quarter surge and while it’s pleasing they responded, the 4.5 to 0.4 in the third quarter ultimately did them in. Still, the last bounce will come under review. Hardwick will ask where were his players off the back of the square to close in on Lachie Neale and who was helping Grimes on Mundy. In that situation, two big plays were two too many with 20 seconds to play.

10. Angus and Ben

ANGUS Brayshaw suffered yet another head knock in the VFL and didn’t finish the game, which must be a huge concern for him, his family and the club. Much like Richmond’s Ben Griffiths who is undertaking test for his concussions and hasn’t got a return date to play, Brayshaw might have to decide if footy is for him. His long-term health has to be a consideration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gazman1 said:

Goodmorning all, yes I have dropped the ball for the last few weeks. Retirement has taken it's toll and I needed a well earned break from retirement to take a holiday and recuperate. Having done this and feeling better although a visit from Ron may push me backwards I do not know. I need to now think carefully about my tips maybe if I change and try to select losers I may altered the selections to winners.
The Fantasy stuff, I am still getting my head around this and not knowing the players is a difficulty but watching the matches has been beneficial. I will see if I can improve and be a major contender in the coming weeks

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

You must stay in some cheap hotels when you travel there GAZ....pretty much every hotel in Thailand has internet....or maybe the wife is rather young and keeps you busy.....

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Rebuilding Alex, was out of the picture for a few weeks and lost a few players.  Only get 2 trades per week and hard to catch up when you get other injuries.  My Geelong boys let me down this week.  Danger averaged 122 per game but only manage about 70 this week and lost the game for me.  He was captain.

Vodaphone Chooks....got me out of a tight spot a couple of times while in BKK......$5 a day extra on ur bill.....connects to DTAC 4G...consider.

Get your boys to pull their heads in Chooks

Murphy sledges crossed the line, Saints concede

ST KILDA'S players have acknowledged their highly personal sledging of Marc Murphy crossed the line on Saturday, with Jarryn Geary attempting to contact the Carlton captain in the fallout from an ugly clash at Etihad Stadium.  

The Saints on Monday met to discuss what the club described as "two to three back-and-forth incidents" that were thrust into the spotlight by Murphy's furious response to stricken defender Jake Carlisle in the third quarter.

The player-led meeting did not involve the coaching staff and it is understood CEO Matt Finnis was comfortable to close the issue internally on Monday afternoon.

Barrett: Personal sledging must stop and the AFL should act

Carlton and St Kilda officials have spoken following the ugly incident, which saw an incensed Murphy lash out at Carlisle as he lay injured on the ground just before three-quarter time.  

That sparked a large melee instigated by Geary, who left a message with Murphy on Monday. 

Both clubs have told the AFL they don't want the matter taken any further.

AFL Players Association chief Paul Marsh released a statement on Monday afternoon, saying the AFLPA had spoken to players at both clubs and there was no need for further action to be taken.

"It's our view that on-field incidents are isolated and generally, players show great respect for each other," Marsh said.

"With respect to a potential players' code, we can see both the opportunity and challenges in how it might work and we will discuss its merits with our board and players during mid-season club visits before finalising any position."

Marsh was responding to comments by Essendon great Tim Watson, who said the players should develop a code of conduct for on-field sledging.

"Write a code among yourselves, boys, and be mature," Watson said on SEN on Monday morning.

"The players should develop their own code of conduct as to what is acceptable and what is not acceptable.

"By five o'clock today, I would hope that we would hear from the Players Association in some meaningful way and say 'OK, we're going to do something about this, this is not acceptable'."

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

It's getting tight for spots in the eight fella's.

I think Melbourne are certainties to make it which means someone has to come out.

Richmond and Geelong look vulnerable at this stage.

Richmond have GWS away next week and Geelong host the Bulldogs.

Are Freo a sneaky chance as well?

Looking forward to next weeks round already.

GWS injury list is growing. It will be a very close especially now that Crotchin escape a weeks penalty.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, farmerjo said:

After reviewing the MRP for the week,i have no idea where there at.

Years ago it was taboo to touch an umpire,Bernie Vince was in the umps path and headbutted him.

Phil Davis gave his own player concussion and nothing said,concussion is concussion.

Am i reading to much into it or should there be a duty of care from both sides to players welfare?

As stupid as the system is now they might as well get rid of suspensions and just fine accordingly.

With the way it is i would get the players to jumper punch the opponents every five minutes at the same time,good luck to the MRP having enough camera's to sort that out. 

Don't get me started on the deliberate rules.:smile:   

The MRP continues to be a blight on the game.

How Cotchins blatant punch to the face can be graded as careless instead of intentional was ridiculous.

• Like 2

Longer range/

As it stands after round eight.

FJ has a challenger to his recent dominance as Ronaldo wins the blind fortunes this week. Nice work Ron!!

Overall, a bit up and down with only the predictable punters selecting Essendon and Melbourne respectively / might be a plus in there for the Dees.

Lovin’ Joe’s work at the top. Hopefully, the longer-range form keeps nicely separated from his week to week tipping form!

Punter

Round 8

LR Cumulative

Weekly tip tote

Gentleman Joe

Ron

Arrr

Gaz

Ripper

Optad

• Like 1

We know know the reason for Hogans indifferent year, a double whammy for a 22 year old dare say the Demons would be getting professionals to advise him in the mental department, Gordon a former pie that moved over to us was cut down and died young, Stynes of course, it's part of life though at such a young age it really isn't fair. Too all sufferers of this silent killer we wish you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

We know know the reason for Hogans indifferent year, a double whammy for a 22 year old dare say the Demons would be getting professionals to advise him in the mental department, Gordon a former pie that moved over to us was cut down and died young, Stynes of course, it's part of life though at such a young age it really isn't fair. Too all sufferers of this silent killer we wish you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Very sad news but the prognosis should be good as they have got to it early and his CT Scan revealed only the one tumour so with rest and the right attitude he will have a good chance of recovery

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, farmerjo said:

After reviewing the MRP for the week,i have no idea where there at.

Years ago it was taboo to touch an umpire,Bernie Vince was in the umps path and headbutted him.

Phil Davis gave his own player concussion and nothing said,concussion is concussion.

Am i reading to much into it or should there be a duty of care from both sides to players welfare?

As stupid as the system is now they might as well get rid of suspensions and just fine accordingly.

With the way it is i would get the players to jumper punch the opponents every five minutes at the same time,good luck to the MRP having enough camera's to sort that out. 

Don't get me started on the deliberate rules.:smile:   

Time to jump on the 9G FJ and rip up 100 acres at 3 ½ miles an hour.

That should settle you.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thechook said:

I've gone with the roos well, also the swans to beat the saints as they decided to dump Josh Bruce and bring in bloody McCartin.  Saints have lost every game he has played.

Good advice,   thanks Chook.

Reckon Alex might be contemplating choking down a bit of doggy doo in the Fantasy come Monday.....

• Like 2

With all the levels required to be an afl coach these days the sources are limited.
Being biased i would be happy to see a Simpson come out of contract and return to Arden street,2nd choice Longmire.
As far as the Roos v Dees,it nearly goes back as far as the Dees last premiership when they last beat the Roos.:smile: 

Not knowing the history of AFL like some of you do I wonder why the coach is always to blame for a teams downfall and changing will make them better. I understand the coach is an important part but with the Dockers I have also felt the management of the club is also to blame by having too much input into the way the team is managed at the ground level.
Just my thoughts but I think there is an eagerness from the media especially to start talking about dumping the Coach.
Also what upcoming coaches are there out in the local league world. Maybe the likes of Sheedy, Worsfold and others have been around too long and there is no recognised d progression for younger coaches to be promoted through the system.
My theories be interested in what you think of my novice opinion??

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, joboss said:

Seems the “Roo” supporters on the job are calling for a new coach…

Who knows what they will think after Sundays result.  

I’m gonna go with the Blue & White stripy jumpers.

I've gone with the roos well, also the swans to beat the saints as they decided to dump Josh Bruce and bring in bloody McCartin.  Saints have lost every game he has played.

INTERESTING TOPIC. ..

PROTECTING FIRST ROUND PICKS.....

2016 draft St Kilda made a deal with Hawthorn and got their 1st pick in this year's draft which maybe a top 5.  Talk of future protection for these deals, only get 1st round pick if say hawks finish top 8, if finish bottom then all deals voids.

Personally I say a deal is a deal.  Love to hear opinions..  

Read more

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/05/19/do-future-picks-need-protection/

22 hours ago, joboss said:

Seems the “Roo” supporters on the job are calling for a new coach…

Who knows what they will think after Sundays result.  

I’m gonna go with the Blue & White stripy jumpers.

lucky your  a crap tipster....and hopefully that wont change...

21 hours ago, Thechook said:

Thats news to me...thanks officer dibbles...to late to change  my pics now....time to put some faith in the kid...

21 hours ago, joboss said:

Good advice,   thanks Chook.

Reckon Alex might be contemplating choking down a bit of doggy doo in the Fantasy come Monday.....

No man if theres something i want to be good at its FANTASY....the big guns are starting to arrive,...but at the end off the day if the players off he's off....im not being swayed with my selections....Saints over Swans and that breaks my heart..... the Dee's over  North and thats no given...either....

• Like 2