Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

5 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Well once again McCartin plays and the saints get thumped.  Every time that useless turd plays the saints get thumped.  The saints desecrated their working forward line to fit that piece of useless filth in then during the game had to disassemble the back line to go forward to help that turd McCartin.  He may be an average VFL player and kicks 5 goals but in the big time he is useless and definately the most uncoordinated and worst player in the history of the game.  Zac (the hack) Dawson stand down and hand over the title of worst ever, you are now a superstar, a legend and the games greatest ever player.

Followed AFL for many years now. Have learned to really appreciate the game.....and most of the recent rule changes have created a better and more free-flowing game.

BUT I hate the "runners"....you know the guy's in pink running around like headless chickens during play.

There are 3 breaks during a match with plenty of time for the coach to make tactical changes ....I fail to see how a pink chicken's words to a single player, can turn a match around...

Just today in the match between Collingwood and Brisbane...5 minutes to go....match decided a long time ago...and still 3 pink guys on the field...

IMO disallow the runners.......Is it only me?

2 hours ago, joboss said:

Fantasty: 

"Bye starts next week upon checking earlier the set up is were not in combat mode there for its fine tune time and it all starts again in 4 weeks....."

4 weeks??   I am going to miss the AlexRRR fantasy updates.   

Please maintain your witty momentum. 

Worked out i've got about 900K to spend.

It's a fine line and a long season.

The fixtures in the finals are the key,but what week do you want to be strongest?

Been happy so far with weekly scores but think will be needing around 2200 in the finals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOC said:

Followed AFL for many years now. Have learned to really appreciate the game.....and most of the recent rule changes have created a better and more free-flowing game.

BUT I hate the "runners"....you know the guy's in pink running around like headless chickens during play.

There are 3 breaks during a match with plenty of time for the coach to make tactical changes ....I fail to see how a pink chicken's words to a single player, can turn a match around...

Just today in the match between Collingwood and Brisbane...5 minutes to go....match decided a long time ago...and still 3 pink guys on the field...

IMO disallow the runners.......Is it only me?

For me the runners serve their purpose,if i could change one thing it would be 3rd man in at a contest on the ground.

Let two battle it out to get the ball out and in the open.

Everybody thinks the game is quicker these days,over the weekend i saw games that were picnic pace compared to the 96 GF.

• Like 1

Worked out i've got about 900K to spend.
It's a fine line and a long season.
The fixtures in the finals are the key,but what week do you want to be strongest?
Been happy so far with weekly scores but think will be needing around 2200 in the finals.

Only 900,000$ in reserve.... I had 1.2 million worth of players not participating plus 100g in reserve....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

Only 900,000$ in reserve.... I had 1.2 million worth of players not participating plus 100g in reserve....

It's actually very tight in the top 4 around 150 points separates us, in the end when the finals comes around it comes down to who's performing, when I won the first gf I had about 7 Melbourne players in the team, the day of the gf we played someone that we were expected to beat because our performance indicated it over the previous weeks, was a nervous affair and true enough a number of Dee's played well to elevate me in a tight game.... you can only pick consistent performers in the end it's on the day do I get lucky?

Last year I did what I did first year and failed miserably luck was on my side year 1 ( though we were all novices then) this year i had a plan which to date I'm happy with stage 1 is completed stage 2 starts now, though I think luck still plays a part in it all.

Chooks in year 1 got the wobbles about 4 games out, to much faith in his team, I don't have any sentiment at all... 2 or 3 so so weeks and I'm itching to move them on...I have 3 players in my current team I want out...

• Like 1

The Tackle

Indigenous stars light up Indigenous Round as more umpiring controversy splits the AFL

THE Indigenous Round produced some of the best moments of the season ... it also produced a few of the worst.

Herald Suns chief football writer Mark Robinson looks at the Round 10 highlights and lowlights, including Shaun Burgoyne, Adelaide and Richmond’s indigenous guns, the sorry Saints and more umpiring controversy.

1. THE STEALTH - JEFF GARLETT

NEEDS to be in the All-Australian selectors’ discussion after yet another dazzling game. Kicked five goals — four in the second half — to take his tally to 25 for the season and goals are just one aspect of his game worth discussing. He rates elite for goals, is above average for score assists and score involvements, and is elite for forward-half pressure. It’s two and half seasons forward, but Carlton would love that sort of contribution. Garlett’s 24 disposals against the Suns were a career-high and maybe only Eddie Betts as a small forward can make opponents look so pedestrian with their defence.

2. THE TRIO

FREMANTLE was obliterated by the Crows led by a trio of indigenous players who just might decide if the Crows win or lose the flag this season. The Crows were lining up in the wet and Betts, Charlie Cameron and Wayne Milera filled their boots. They kicked nine goals and laid 12 tackles and embarrassed the Fremantle defence. The question on small forwards is: do they stand up in high-pressure finals games.? If these three do, then the Crows will take some beating. That’s 31 goals this season for Betts and barring injury, he’s looking at a third consecutive All-Australian selection. Sorry, Blues fans.

3. THE GATHERING

NOTHING personified indigenous input than a series of actions by Daniel Rioli, Shai Bolton and Shane Edwards in the second quarter on Saturday night. The ball was deep in Richmond’s forward pocket and Rioli and Bolton - who is just 18 and playing his second game - harassed and pressured the Bombers and won the ball. Edwards was the recipient of that pressure and kicked a left-foot snap goal. Bolton, who was the youngest player taken in the draft, looms as a wonderful pick at No.29.

4. THE CLUTCH - SHAUN BURGOYNE

HE said on Channel Seven he will consider his future at the bye break. So he should. He was enormous on Friday night. He kicked two goals, one from the pocket and one from 52m, the latter clutch in the moment. The numbers are one aspect - team-high 19 contested possessions for his 26 overall and nine score involvements - but numbers can’t tally his experience, his body work and his will to win. In the second half in particular, he was the third ranked player on the ground with 16 disposals (second most by a Hawk), 10 contested possessions (game-high) and five score involvements

5. THE CHAMPION - LANCE FRANKLIN

EVEN Luke Bruest thought Buddy was BOG ahead of Burgoyne and clearly Franklin was the most influential player on the ground with 16 disposals and five goals. He was aggressive on Friday night, to the point of having a crack at both Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead. Now a top-10 all-time goalkicker, he is the best key forward since Wayne Carey and although some will scoff, Franklin is approaching Carey’s standing in the game. Carey played 272 games and kicked 727.457. Franklin has played 257 games and kicked 819.578. Carey clearly was the better mark, Franklin is the more dynamic athlete and both had/have a presence that scares the opposition.

6. SELWOOD ... SCOTT THAT IS

YES, Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood were massive, but a game-plan tinker (it seems) and the inclusion of Scott Selwood have stiffened up the Cats. Selwood’s past two weeks have averaged 17 disposals and 17 tackles (he is the first player to lay 16 or more tackles two weeks in a row) and the Cats repeated their pressure from the week before against the Bulldogs, recording a pressure factor of 193 against Port. Nothing happens by chance and it seems the Cats are back playing the territory game. Port is the No.1 side for time in forward half differential, yet Geelong won time in forward half by more than 17 minutes.

7. BAILEY DALE

IT was Jake Stringer early and then Dale later on. “Dale was the one that set us alight in that third quarter with his creative play, it was great that he could step up that way,” coach Luke Beveridge said. They have so many kids at the Dogs you get confused sometimes, but Dale looms as yet another tick. He stands out because of his class and in this, his 18th game, he showed he is in the team to stay. Had a career-high 27 disposals and was often the calm amid the Bulldogs’ madness.

8. SHAUN HIGGINS

HE’S got to 29 years of age quickly and, other than his 2009 and 2015 seasons, you wonder what he’s done with all that talent, despite his serious injuries. The welcoming news is his 2017 season is on track to be arguably his best yet. Was instrumental on Sunday with 27 disposals, eight clearances and five tackles. His quality of use makes him the go-to man in the midfield. He was very good, but not the best player. That should go to Carlton’s Matthew Kreuzer who beat Todd Goldstein.

9. JAMIE ELLIOTT

HE’S kicked three, one, three, three, three and four goals in his past six games and is a revelation after missing all of the 2016 season. Collingwood’s midfielders feasted and Elliott and Darcy Moore (three goals) got on the end of it. Always thought Elliott’s standing grew in his absence without foundation, as often does when a player is injured, and admittedly was wrong. He’s 24, is incredibly talented and is helping to fix Collingwood’s long-standing forward problems.

10, ROUGHY

THERE are moments when the football world wishes for the best and that came on Friday night. New captain, over cancer, poor start to the season and game on the line, and when Jarryd Roughead kicked the winner with 75 seconds to play, football became a little bit more personal that it usually does. “Captain’s goal” was never more apt and as much as I’d like to know what Steve Johnson said after his match-winner, I’d would love to know what Roughy bellowed when raising the finger. Still, it was one of the magical moments in a magical season.

DISLIKES

1. ST KILDA

COACH Alan Richardson said: “Right now, if you were just to look at us in the last two weeks, then we are nowhere near where we need to be.” He’s right. First Sydney and then the Bulldogs exposed the Saints for their lack of class players. The effort has been solid, but not enough players have stood up in the heat of two big games. They’re 10th after 10 rounds and despite some encouraging wins (GWS, Collingwood, Hawthorn), they are yet to convince anyone they will be a September team. Jack Newnes and Seb Ross are ticks in the midfield, but if Jack Steven is quelled, as he was by Lachie Hunter, they don’t have weapons to carry him and worry the better teams.

2. DELIBERATE

THE rule is wrong. Jayden Short and Josh Green were running full tilt. Short was faster than Green, he busted his gut to best Green and Green took the easy option to stop and play for the free kick. It’s kind of cheating the spirit of the game. He gave up and won the free kick. People will say it was smart. I reckon it’s wrong. Short had noise, drama and pressure all over him as he chased the bouncing ball and knocked it through for a behind. All he knows is he’s under pressure. All of us know Green pulled out. The AFL rules look after the ball player, but not in this situation. It is a contradiction to what the game is about. The AFL was right to strengthen the rule this year, but didn’t count on players exploiting it and being encouraged to exploit it. It’s not right.

4. THE MEDAL

DUSTIN Martin was very good on Friday night and was a worthy winner, but Brandon Ellis would’ve been worthier. He was huge. Had a game-high 148 ranking points, 30 disposals, 18 uncontested possessions and a team-high nine intercept possessions. He’s not damaging enough to play out-and-out midfield and this year has gone to defence. Against the Bombers, he had Parish for 34 minutes and picked up anyone else who came near him. He went at 90 per cent efficiency which is outstanding for Ellis and an equal career-high 13 contested possessions. While Martin was influential, Ellis was stellar and I look forward to Damien Hardwick giving him five votes.

5. FREMANTLE

THE final numbers were a blitz, the first quarter numbers were an abomination. The score was 39-6, the Dockers had eight disposals in its forward half, the second fewest ever in a quarter, and the inside 50 count was 25-3. And it was also Ross Lyon’s first loss in his coaching career by 100 points. Take your pick on what word to describe the performance. Insipid. Humiliating. Pathetic. Skipper Nathan Fyfe has to be better despite the conditions and the pressure heaped on him. He had 25 disposals and 13 clangers and was the only player in double figures for clanger disposals. The output from Walters, Mundy, Hill and Hill and Neale were as poor as Fyfe’s disposal.

6. HOOKER FORWARD

CALE Hooker plays with ample effort but doesn’t have enough tricks to play forward and some of his errors — and some of his teammates’ errors to be fair — were demoralising. As the midfield continues to muck around with the ball — it was 71-42 inside 50s — Hooker needs to play defence, where he was an All-Australian, to help cover for the midfield’s failings. The option is to play Bellchambers forward for the dump kick long alongside James Stewart and Joe Daniher and bring back Matthew Leuenberger to play ruck. Top heavy maybe but something’s got to give.

7. KURT TIPPETT

COACH John Longmire continues to play him and would never criticise him publicity, but boy he must be frustrated with his ruckman-forward. Tippett might be the most overpaid and underperformed player in the history of the game. In five games this season he has had 10, one (injured), five, 12 and 12 disposals, has taken just 15 marks and kicked three goals. He is said to be earning in the range of $800,000 and if true, he’s far from value for money. He simply has to impose himself on games

8. GOLD COAST

PUT up the white flag in China and put it up again in the second half on Saturday in the Alice. Still think a coach should get more than three years, but if Rodney Eade’s team continues to lay down in matches, the pressure on Eade increases. He will get experienced players back this week, but gee whiz, does he and the team need a win.

9. OH, CHARLIE

RECKON Dixon was unlucky, but the moment got the better of him and he didn’t listen to the umpire. His lack of awareness might’ve cost Port Adelaide the game. If he kicked the goal, it certainly did. All class from Port coach Ken Hinkley in the post match. “Unfortunately, they got it 100 per cent correct, right on the dot,’’ Hinkley said. “Don’t think I have ever seen it before. But that does not matter. The umpires got it right.”

19 hours ago, joboss said:

Fantasty: 

"Bye starts next week upon checking earlier the set up is were not in combat mode there for its fine tune time and it all starts again in 4 weeks....."

4 weeks??   I am going to miss the AlexRRR fantasy updates.   

Please maintain your witty momentum. 

Ahhh dont worry about that....i will keep you entertained.....The Dee's have that hack Pederson racking up around 100 average per game but i know once they take him off the ball he's going off the boil....made 100 grand on him so far and do expect to see his $ go up at least another 25,000 before mountain man is back on the job..... already looking at my options for a trade....no mercy no loylties when your playing in the Big league of TV Fantasy football...

The other worry is Bugg....love him in defence loath him in attack...little bit smarter this week still couldnt find a way to kick a goal, and he had enough opportunities.....might have to rip off another letter to Goodwin with a cut up membership to get the guy moved back into defence....since i dont have one anymore Jo could you send me your Eagles one...or the inlaws Freo one you use as a freeloader to see games....will cut it up and offer it to Goodwin...

Well....i was quick to move a few on in Fantasy today...they allowed me 3 changes...i like that...thought reversing trades 3 times they forced me to keep the last one, refresh the page...all locked up....you know its 2017....scratch my head...Million $ boy Boyd got the chop...back to his old ways...had him all year did manage to play above himself recently but this week was uninspiring again...at least he played 9 of the 10 games so being good at getting on the ground was very inprotant early,  a ruckman i was desperate for and a decent ruckman i got, the other area thats been a worry has been the forward line, Freo's Macarthy not lived up to early season hype again a starter every week...but the pressure is on i can feel Fjs breath on the back of my neck and lets not forget Optus....got to make up some points...In fact all members will be fine-tuning looking for an edge......the blow torch is on in earnest....Even humble Joseph will come at us hard....Next week I'm looking to bolster the defence and a possible change in attack....the Mids I'm pretty happy about except one of the Dee's needs to go....who will come on and who wont? Jones is proven who can get better even while been tagged, Oliver been doing just fine think he can maintain it too....what to do...what to do.... one must go...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joboss said:

Alex writes "might have to rip off another letter to Goodwin with a cut up membership to get the guy moved back into defence....since i dont have one anymore Jo could you send me your Eagles one...or the inlaws Freo one you use as a freeloader to see games....will cut it up and offer it to Goodwin."

That's not going to happen..

Don’t have Eagles membership as I sold my Indian Pacific Ltd shares (with guaranteed seats) to help fund the daughters Melbourne Uni  Newman College residence.

Was seated amongst a batch of snobs anyway.

Do remember a day at the footy about 10 years back that was enhanced by 2 ladies that must have snared seats for the day.

Both dressed as for a night out, they climbed the stairs with high heels, a balloon of red culched in each hand, and found their seats with a fair dose of disruption to the Blue Rinse Eagles Snobs.

The fun started when they periodically informed the ground with a shout of,,, “I love big Cox” 

Now that your a Perth slum dog feel free to stay at my place when over in the east to visit future lawyer daughter....I only ever got to sit near old ducks with umberllas ....got hit a few times too....

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

On Paddy M,i think the Saints should get The big Fev in to mentor him.

Besides being injured,dropping marks,missing tackles and generally being no where near the ball,he needs a bit of character about him.

What do you think Chooks:smile: 

You dont need to ask CHOOKS for his opinion its etched into the minds of everyone here...but hey......the much maligned J Watts got his act together why cant this kid? 

Im pretty sure if the Saints do trade him off after all the fan fare of taking big Nicks shoes on trade day way back someone will pick him up nice and cheap and i hear Brad likes him....after the blood flowing coup of last year he's got plenty of mula in the salary cap for a cheap forward who will one day rival big Nick...i mean Fj if you can keep that Jarrod "Wait for me i might able to get a kick today" in your team foooooooooor sooooooo many years and a total underachiever what have you got to loose with McCartin? 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, farmerjo said:

On Paddy M,i think the Saints should get The big Fev in to mentor him.

Besides being injured,dropping marks,missing tackles and generally being no where near the ball,he needs a bit of character about him.

What do you think Chooks:smile: 

Free to anyone and we will throw in our 1st 3 picks in the draft if you take him.  Free delivery and a slab of beer

• Like 2

On 5/30/2017 at 7:54 AM, AlexRRR said:

Now that your a Perth slum dog feel free to stay at my place when over in the east to visit future lawyer daughter....I only ever got to sit near old ducks with umberllas ....got hit a few times too....

Thanks Alex.

Hope I get to take you up on that offer.

Could buy us a couple of tickets to the footy.

Maybe we could scam the NDIS for a carers payment.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

Records are tumbling this season.

Hawthorn have scored their lowest halftime score ever. 3 points.

First time Port have held a team to 0 points in the first quarter.

My margin is up to <deleted> again.

Is there a new bakery that is chic for buttered croissants in Hawthorn?

Hope they can wash their hands at half time.

Spectemur Agendo.   Let us be judged by our acts.