Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Oi Rip! What's behind this mate? If anything just keep on this thread! Aside from this thread I post on only one other thread because the rest is a cluster bukkake of gibberish and armchair nonsense... 

This thread is truly one of the keepers...

But if it's because you took out the tipping this year and are bowing out on a high, I also understand hahaha

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Oi Rip! What's behind this mate? If anything just keep on this thread! Aside from this thread I post on only one other thread because the rest is a cluster bukkake of gibberish and armchair nonsense... 

This thread is truly one of the keepers...

But if it's because you took out the tipping this year and are bowing out on a high, I also understand hahaha

First BookMan and now Rip.

Mr Smith needs all the support he can get:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Finals Week Two

By Titus O'Reily

Footy is a passion, not some cold hearted, spread sheet dominated rational exercise.

On a Monday, you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

Hawthorn (71) v Melbourne (104) 

Who knew that football could make you happy?

It’s been a huge shock for me, right up there with learning football continues into September.

The idea that Richmond has a more stable administration than our country does and Melbourne have knocked Geelong and Hawthorn out of the finals means we are in uncharted territory.

The crowd of 90,152 made this the largest assembly of private school alumni in history, and the abundance of chinos, boat shoes and Country Road was truly terrifying. 

The game was marred by a lack of polish, especially by the Hawks in front of goal and some terrible umpiring.

Some of the umpiring decisions were simply bizarre, as were the non-calls. 

The contact below the knee calls against Melbourne highlighted the idiocy of the rule and something the AFL need to address before bringing in pointless rules we don’t need.

Hawthorn had plenty of bad calls against them too, including a few unrewarded tackles that dented their momentum.

After a fairly even first quarter, the Hawks established control in the second but then proceeded to blow every chance in front of goal they got. 

It got so bad that you had to wonder if the Hawks had money on the Dees.

In the third, that all came back to haunt them as suddenly, the Dees managed to get control and convert chances.

Nothing highlighted Hawthorn’s woes more than when Jack Gunston hit the post when running into an open goal, only for the Dees to then rebound and kick a goal.

It turns out relying on other people’s mistakes works as well on the footy field as it does in building a career.

Going into the fourth quarter, Dees fans were feeling pretty good, although a significant part of their brain was working on all the possible scenarios where everything goes wrong and life crushes them again.

One of those scenarios appeared to play out in the fourth quarter as the Hawks stormed back and the MCC Members panicked liked the Australian Tax Office had announced a crackdown on trusts.

The Hawks were all over the Demons, and every Melbourne supporter had all the times Melbourne had blown it before running through their minds. 

Hawthorn’s run of goals was the most terrifying thing I’ve been through outside of the rare times I’ve accidentally left the TV on and caught Roaming Brian. 

When Oliver and Brayshaw engineered a clearance out of the middle, and Jake Melksham wheeled around and booted a goal, the relief that swept over Melbourne fans was palpable. 

Melbourne then stormed home, and the Dees were in a Preliminary Final. The ground was jumping. Melbourne fans, so used to disappointment were no longer dreaming, a good thing was happening to them.

It resulted in a new world record for mistimed high fives. The lid, which was only purchased last week, was now off.

The Demons fans left happy, making calls to have the jet fuelled up and ready to head for Perth.

Collingwood (69) v Greater Western Sydney (59) 

It was certainly a different crowd on the Saturday night, with fewer cravats and a lot more tracksuit pants.

Cheese plates were replaced by pre-mixed spirits and, …well I don’t really have a stereotype for Giants fans. 

There were a few Giants supporters at the ‘G, but it was difficult to tell sometimes, given a lot of the MCG staff were in OH&S orange too. 

More than once I saw a Collingwood supporter approach a Giants supporter and ask for directions to their seat before realising their mistake.

The Pies had lots to cheer about on the night but also a lot to be frustrated about, with their team wasting opportunities so often it was a surprise when they did convert for a goal.

If the Collingwood had have kicked to their forwards the way they kicked to the Giants, this would have been over by halftime.

Instead, their inaccuracy gave the Giants hope but it was false hope, GWS were well beaten all across the ground.

It amazing how the Giants have gone from a side seen as a force that was going to sweep all before them to a team you don’t fear in September.

Toby Greene was indicative of the Giants lack of performance on the night, Brayden Maynard did such a good job on him that there were supporters sitting behind the goals who touched the ball more.

The most worrying thing watching the Pies is they didn’t even play well, they could be so much better. The scary prospect of a Collingwood Premiership is no longer a laughable thought; it’s a clear and present danger. 

The only winners out of this finals run are Pies fans and Cash Converters, who are doing a roaring trade as Collingwood fans fund their tickets.

The Pies now face Richmond in ‘The Battle of the Ferals’, a match that should have one of the loudest crowds in AFL history and will make the MCG the scariest place on Earth for several hours this Friday.

• Like 1

Scientists discover mysterious Western Australian club in AFL finals

Titus O'Reily

west-coast-eagles.jpg

Scientists at the CSIRO have detected a mysterious Western Australia based Australian Rules Club, dubbed The West Coast Eagles in the AFL finals.

CSIRO Chief Scientist Dr Cathy Foley said the club was detected using the most sensitive equipment available on the East Coast.

This is a surprising result. It has taken some painstaking work and will be a shock to many people.

The announcement has been met with scepticism in Melbourne where the hypothesis that there are clubs existing outside of Victoria is considered a fringe theory.

Dr Foley said the club was currently utterly undetectable in Melbourne.

It may be a shock, but the existence of an AFL club outside of Victoria and operating in the AFL Finals has now been conclusively proved

It certainly opens up the possibility that there may be other clubs outside of Victoria.

Collingwood fan Dennis Thompson said he was only just coming to terms with evolution and germ theory.

I guess you can prove anything with science and I tend to prefer to believe in what I can see with my own eyes, and I've seen no evidence of a Western Australian club in the finals. Go Pies!

While the discovery has been met with scepticism in Victoria, in Western Australia its come as no surprise. 

Of course, there's a Western Australian based team in the finals, said Eagles fan Tamara Borthwick.

They're playing someone this weekend. I cant remember who. Let me look in The West. Hang on; I'm looking, just flicking through the 17 pages on the Eagles oh, it doesn't say.

Dr Foley said the study found no evidence of a second AFL club in Western Australia.

We detected a signal close to an AFL club, but it fell short of the full requirements.

• Like 1

The season is nearly over only 4 teams left in it not much to write about there fore they jurnos are looking for some drama....and they tried to make a case out of Gawn not doing a training session they just got to Gosh paddock too late...he was inside...Dusty Martin is there other focus....is he carrying an injury?...even if he is they will stick enough needles and drugs into him to get him out for the prelim.....

Pies and Tigers....well you would think its a forgone conclusion, Eagles and Dee's......that idiot on morning radio for ever Neil Mitchel who is a mad Dee supporter claimed in his radio show Monday that Melbourne supporters were buying up tickets to the game in droves even if not planning to attend the game just to try and take the home crowd noise/advantage out of the game....now I ask you..this guy would have went to university so you would think he's got some brains but after a statement like that you would have to wonder....Well here is one Demon supporter who did not buy a ticket.....if you could see me now my eyes are rolling around.....WILL would be more nervous than me...Dee's have won the last 2 games against the Eagles in Perth....so the maths dont add up very well for you WILL...plus we got nothing to loose as we were not expected to go far PLUS there is the "law of attraction" thing where every other club supporters especially Freo would be hoping for a Dee win....just because we been hopeless underdogs for a very long time.....

The West Aussies over in Perth were making complains about ticket prices.....like just about every millionaire lives over there HEY Dee supporters have to buy a plane ticket you know...plus hotel and pay the same price...thought top price ticket is $180, bit rough I think still they rather you watch it on the telly, the cheap charlies can get in for around $70 but we all know those seats are limited to like a few thousand, saved you swillions living in Thai hey WILL?

There starting to dissect the new iPhones....as there hit more than the $AU2000 to own one, yes there getting a bit rich and its well known Apple margins are very healthy...well they got a problem now Trump has just announced new measures off tariffs on the Chinese its possible they could go up by 25% in the US but what about elsewhere?

The new iPhone is a bit of smoke and daggers......about the only really good upgrade is the faster chip which means nothing to me as I dont wize around on the phone then you get the bigger screens and a better camera....ummmmmmmmm yeah well my 7 can go on a few more years if Trumps war with China pushes up iPhone prices or...I do like that Samsung Note ive always been drawn to....  I love the sexy feel and curved edges...the pointier corners...the OLED screen......ho yes...its a nice phone and is for sure lighter than the Max at about the same size........makes me drool....only trouble is I love my "notes" on the iPhone write a note on my computer or tablet and it comes up on all my apple devices....plus take a picture and again its on all my Apple devices...the Android system is clunky compared to Apple's and there a lot off rooting around to get Android to do what Apple does so easy....Plus I have about 20 gigs of music on my phone iTunes is a breeze to work with........I just might have to suffer another year or two with the 7 untill the Yanks and Chinks work out there differences.....

Along with the Blues Suns and Lions WILL seek a priority pick....yep into days little big paper Lions actually have a good case with there win loss ratio over the past 4 or so years....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

The West Aussies over in Perth were making complains about ticket prices.....like just about every millionaire lives over there HEY Dee supporters have to buy a plane ticket you know...plus hotel and pay the same price...thought top price ticket is $180, bit rough I think still they rather you watch it on the telly, the cheap charlies can get in for around $70 but we all know those seats are limited to like a few thousand, saved you swillions living in Thai hey WILL?

West Aussies get raped every year by the airlines when travelling to Melbourne.

Funnily enough, I didn't see any outrage by the media then?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

West Aussies get raped every year by the airlines when travelling to Melbourne.

Funnily enough, I didn't see any outrage by the media then?

Flight time and costs associated with travel to Thailand from Perth dear WILL is shorter and cheaper than what I travel and pay....from the heart of football land.....

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Flight time and costs associated with travel to Thailand from Perth dear WILL is shorter and cheaper than what I travel and pay....from the heart of football land.....

With all due respect, that's got SFA to do with the topic on hand.

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

With all due respect, that's got SFA to do with the topic on hand.

The West Aussies over in Perth were making complains about ticket prices......to the "GAME" ......hey fella im not taking sides, i vote with my feet..i watch it on the 65inch telly now.....i did the hard years of going to almost every game and the few finals we were in.....of course i would have liked to go to the two GF's we made kinda glad they have limited tickets saved me from watching getting murdered twice..but even as a Dee member i wasn't high enough in the system to be eligible for a GF ticket.....the day i rocked up to Princess Park to play Carlton with my 2 kids just over 20 years ago and had to pay for reserved seating to be able to get into the ground for a princely sum of $50 they lost me....the following year i did not renew my membership...

Footnote....lucky we won that game by a few points or i would have been bleeding...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Does it have 5G modem?

Rumours on Sony Xperia xz3 will have it early 19.

I'd be waiting for the next iteration.

Does not have 5G and its not coming here for a while....by the time it does it will almost be ready to update ur Sony fella..Unless you use your phone like a computer you wont need 5G....

I wont be paying anymore than the offical quoted price for a new iPhone, should it go up i may look at alternatives or hang on the the 7, it works fine and does not pull my shorts down one side....

Tigers are due to loose one sudds....if the Pies dont get you this weekend either the Eagles or Dee's WILL next week....

It is in the tea leaves....well im my case coffee residue in the bottom of my cup...its been getting stronger tooo...

22 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

The West Aussies over in Perth were making complains about ticket prices......to the "GAME" ......hey fella im not taking sides, i vote with my feet..i watch it on the 65inch telly now.....i did the hard years of going to almost every game and the few finals we were in.....of course i would have liked to go to the two GF's we made kinda glad they have limited tickets saved me from watching getting murdered twice..but even as a Dee member i wasn't high enough in the system to be eligible for a GF ticket.....the day i rocked up to Princess Park to play Carlton with my 2 kids just over 20 years ago and had to pay for reserved seating to be able to get into the ground for a princely sum of $50 they lost me....the following year i did not renew my membership...

Footnote....lucky we won that game by a few points or i would have been bleeding...

I was just saying that when WC play finals in Melbourne, the airlines put the fares up by 300 or more percent.

I understand about supply and demand etc.

But flogs like Sam McClure harp on that Melbourne supporters have to stump up for expensive airline fares when

interstate supporters have to do it all of the time.

FWIW Alex, I hope that if your guys beat us, you go on and win the flag.

Richmond won it last year so they've had their fun and Collingwood....no way.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Does not have 5G and its not coming here for a while....by the time it does it will almost be ready to update ur Sony fella..Unless you use your phone like a computer you wont need 5G....

I wont be paying anymore than the offical quoted price for a new iPhone, should it go up i may look at alternatives or hang on the the 7, it works fine and does not pull my shorts down one side....

Tigers are due to loose one sudds....if the Pies dont get you this weekend either the Eagles or Dee's WILL next week....

It is in the tea leaves....well im my case coffee residue in the bottom of my cup...its been getting stronger tooo...

Tigers lose. I'll keep my chin up. Last year was a high I'm still on. Good to see Dee's win. I'd prefer a Vic team to win either way. So Dee's have my support to knock out WC.

But my tips still stand

Tigers by 40

Dee's by 20.

iPhone. Buy it.

Enjoy all of it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I was just saying that when WC play finals in Melbourne, the airlines put the fares up by 300 or more percent.

I understand about supply and demand etc.

But flogs like Sam McClure harp on that Melbourne supporters have to stump up for expensive airline fares when

interstate supporters have to do it all of the time.

FWIW Alex, I hope that if your guys beat us, you go on and win the flag.

Richmond won it last year so they've had their fun and Collingwood....no way.

Dear WILL the original article i wrote about said nothing about Melbourneits complaint about airfares cost to the game or even hotel avalibality and prices....Dear SIR it was West Aussies complaining about ticket prices.....geeeeesssssssss.....to the god dam game....top price was 180 or so dollars...lowest was about 70 and we all know the low prices are limited....did you have your coffee this morning? Make sure you have double dose tomorrow before you turn on ur lappie.....

It seems we read different articles on said coming up game i know how touchy you West Aussies are at finals time and i would never pour petrol on open wounds....if the Eagles win on saturday i hope they win the GF...and i really d= do....

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Dear WILL the original article i wrote about said nothing about Melbourneits complaint about airfares cost to the game or even hotel avalibality and prices....Dear SIR it was West Aussies complaining about ticket prices.....geeeeesssssssss.....to the god dam game....top price was 180 or so dollars...lowest was about 70 and we all know the low prices are limited....did you have your coffee this morning? Make sure you have double dose tomorrow before you turn on ur lappie.....

It seems we read different articles on said coming up game i know how touchy you West Aussies are at finals time and i would never pour petrol on open wounds....if the Eagles win on saturday i hope they win the GF...and i really d= do....

No probs, I read the bit about plane tickets and hotel prices and that's what we have to stump up every year.

Didn't mean to offend you.  TBH, you're pretty much driving the forum these days:wink:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

People on the east cost fly to Singapore, spend the night and have dinner then get a flight to Perth.  It's much cheaper than flying direct to Perth

Yup that's what my West Coast mates do as well... Better standard of flying... Rack up the Frequent Flyer points... Duty Free shopping.. Four Floors of Whores etc etc...

• Like 1

No probs, I read the bit about plane tickets and hotel prices and that's what we have to stump up every year.

Didn't mean to offend you.  TBH, you're pretty much driving the forum these days:wink:

I’m thinking of retiring as well, was going to last year then got a rush of excitement just before the season started....

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

While watching front bar I noticed odds for my tip tigers by 40 was paying 3.50. I've already got 8 to 1 for tigers to win granny. Placed that bet at start of year. Invest in the future. C'mon Tigers. Mick such a fun NY chap

Isn't life funny. Aussie footy very entertaining sport. But the rest of the world not interested. Creatures of habit. Each countries number one sport is set. AFL silly for pushing it o.s. just build more facilities in oz. And create more star players like Capper and Ackermanis.

Hope to see this forum kick on.. I'm 4 months away from Thailand but on SOI bua Khao an Aussie bar plays games there. I'll put a notice for the lonely fans that want to post here.

Just hope they don't get distracted away by the girls with no clitoris thread. Jeez . Abso loot nuts.

Edited by stud858

10 hours ago, Will27 said:

That would pretty much leave the forum dead methinks:sad:

Hahaha..im sure I wont be missed....might just scale back....dont know yet....im not really into the nitty gritty anymore, I once was a footy junkie my poor ex-wife had no social life unless she came to the football, once it got to late April she couldn't cope sitting at the G or standing in the outer in the cold...Anyway it did well to go from 2012 that 7 seasons Sudds above me looks like he can carry the torch just needs to stop mentioning the Tigers every post....

Dee's drop Baily F, well they had him down back last 5 or so games and his effectiveness has gone out the window, I thought he did well enough against the Hawks, he is a goal kicking forward not a defender can do some damage on the ball too, only missed one game all year so its a blow to him, Smith comes in, yeah sure play him but not in a final he is a pure defender only you can switch Baily F...I think it was a bad call and I think it will be curtains....an unchanged  team was my preference or bring in Bernie Vince...so its looking like WCE and Tiger GF...

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Sudds above me looks like he can carry the torch just needs to stop mentioning the Tigers every post....

Jeez I thought I was gonna be in trouble for mentioning a female body part but instead the Tigers hit the spotlight.

I'm not a leader. You need someone tuff, hard, disciplined to head the thread.

Woah

Didn't see that coming.

Looks like there will be a new premier for 2018.

Whoever wins tomorrow, Collingwood will take some beating.

Having said that, I bet both Melbourne and WC would be happy 

they won't have to play the Tiges.

• Like 1

Oddly enough. It wasn't such a painful blow as a tiger fan. They were outplayed from the start.

Would have killed to have lost by only a goal or two.

22mcg win streak over.

Great year for tigers and look forward to 2019.

But for now...

GO DEMONS.

But best of luck to all. The team that wins deserves the spoils.

Well it was written here a while ago, Fj and myself both said Tigers needed to drop one before the finals that would have smartened them up, the other glaring issue that came out of last night and do correct me if im wrong is that playing 2 games in 4 weeks dont go well for those teams....dont think a team with the double chance has won the flag since the adoption of the bye week before the finals...

Who ever should meet the Pies next week can rest assured that a few of the Pie players played there GF last night...Mason Cox was one, he was in my fantasy team as a cheap back up ruckman/forward worth a paltry 350,000 scoring around 50 points a game but could from time to time go has high as 70 or 80 and once did over the ton so fella's you can count on him not producing more than an average game next week...

The blitz that began with the bounce of the ball...was like the entire team were on ice, Tigers couldn't touch them...were the Pies that good or did the Tigers only turn up at half time?

Who douted Buckley? I thought he was brilliant the year his head was on the block how he turned up week in week out with speculation raging about his job...the Pies did what the Tigers did and looked at them selves instead of change the coach they changed the structure and some inner personal to support there coach better and wow instant GF appearance just as the Tigers did the year before... 

Interesting article I read yesterday about who the Demons wanted as there coach in waiting, it was said that Jackson and Roo's had wanted Goodwin originally, had been put off by the Essendon drug scandal where he was an assistant they turned to Drew who canceled himself out as not having earned the position and the rest is history.....

Smith comes in for Frich...cant spell his god dam name...only reason I can come up with that move is...Casey are in the VFL GF today and B Frich would boot 4 goals easy a class above a few im sure also a light weight who's been playing back for about 5 weeks as an intercept mark I guess they figured a bigger bodied more grunt type defender would suite playing the Eagles, me I think the team was balanced well enough, Smith does not get many possessions and is hardly likely to be running out of defence, at this stage of his 10 game career is a pure tagger spoiler type, I would not have called up Smith I would have ran the same team out and if we should make the GF then Bernie Vince assuming he does well with Casey today would come in.....

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

Richmond finished 3rd last year and had the double chance.

They beat Geelong and had the week off.

Having said that, I can understand why they bought the bye in but I don't like it.

It's one of those ones where if you win, you say the bye freshened everyone up

and if you lose, you didn't play enough footy.

I just reckon it takes away the momentum of the season.

I agree, the Pies played their best game of the year yesterday and Richmond their worst.

Denis Pagan said a few weeks ago he didn't think Richmond would win the flag which raised

a few eyebrows.

Part of what he said " 

Dual premiership coach Denis Pagan reckons Richmond are vulnerable heading into the finals.

Pagan, who will present the Jock McHale Medal to this year's premiership-winning coach, believes the Tigers are in danger of getting ahead of themselves after being installed as short-priced favourites to claim back-to-back flags.

I think the Tigers have had a long while to think about premierships, Pagan told reporters on Monday.

I'm sure their players would have been thinking about premierships probably from about four or five weeks ago when no other side in the competition had the opportunity to think about it.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-won-t-win-the-premiership-pagan-20180903-p501gt.html

• Like 1