U.S. mayors decry Trump sanctuary city threat, 'prepared to welcome' migrants

rooster59

On 4/13/2019 at 8:01 AM, bristolboy said:

You got some figures to back up your contention that California is the destination of most of these people? Or are you just bloviating?

both your questions are idiotic.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, papa al said:

both your questions are idiotic.

Thanks for your reasoned analysis of my questions. Can you believe that there are people out there who just denigrate others' responses without supplying reasons? I think you and I can both agree that they are more to be pitied than scorned.

2 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Thanks for your reasoned analysis of my questions. Can you believe that there are people out there who just denigrate others' responses without supplying reasons? I think you and I can both agree that they are more to be pitied than scorned.

Not an analysis; just pointing out the obvious.

Yes, that is normal human behaviour.

papa doesn't give a shit one way or the other.

Why should i?

Why do you?

19 minutes ago, Scott said:

When illegals are picked up, they are transported from the Senoran Desert to cities like Phoenix.   There are numerous shelters, mostly run by churches, that provide them with temporary housing.  

Large numbers are simply dropped off at the bus station in Phoenix to find their way to wherever they are going.  

The President is being cruel and inhumane in using people as pawns against cities he doesn't like.   He made his National Emergency.   He has the resources he needs, but he is still unable to solve the problem. 

Agreed, but it’s also a little more than that.

Trump frequently states that these immigrants are a threat to the safety of the communities into which they move. 

His proposal to transport undocumented immigrants ( that he regards a threat) to communities is a proposal to actively intend harm to those communities.

The proposal to single out communities that are predominantly Democrat is to actively do harm to communities that do not support him.

Putting aside whether or not these immigrants are an actual threat, the President actively acting to commit what he believes harm to communities that do not support him is an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump frequently states that these immigrants are a threat to the safety of the communities into which they move. 

His proposal to transport undocumented immigrants ( that he regards a threat) to communities is a proposal to actively intend harm to those communities.

The proposal to single out communities that are predominantly Democrat is to actively do harm to communities that do not support him.

Putting aside whether or not these immigrants are an actual threat, the President actively acting to commit what he believes harm to communities that do not support him is an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

I doubt very much that Custom and Border Patrol would knowingly let criminal elements lose on any city, sanctuary or not.   I am reasonable sure they do some screening before sending them to shelters or bus stations.  

Since the big uptick in people entering the US are mostly families from Central America,  I don't think they are a threat to the sanctuary cities.   There may very well be a threat and a major problem, but I doubt it is from the asylum-seekers.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Why would it harm them, as they welcome illegal migrants?

• Thanks 2

Just now, dick dasterdly said:

Why would it harm them, as they welcome illegal migrants?

Refer extract from my response that you seem to have missed.

Putting aside whether or not these immigrants are an actual threat, the President actively acting to commit what he believes harm to communities that do not support him is an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm still missing the point, as regardless of what trump believes - these communities believe differently and welcome illegal immigrants.

Surely it's a win/win?

I would think welcoming climate migrants would be the first part of the GND?

• Like 1

I'm still missing the point, as regardless of what trump believes - these communities believe differently and welcome illegal immigrants.

Surely it's a win/win?

I believe it’s a win win and have said so.

But you are missing the point.

Trump is playing to his base and proposing what he believes to be committing harm.

Read the numerous posts from Trump supporters here on TVF blaming immigrants for a wide range of crimes and criminality.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Trump is playing to his base and proposing what he believes to be committing harm.

Read the numerous posts from Trump supporters here on TVF blaming immigrants for a wide range of crimes and criminality.

"I believe it’s a win win and have said so."

In which case, I'm not sure why we are arguing on this topic ????.

It's obvious that the different sides believe different things, but as long as both sides 'win' - who cares?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

"I believe it’s a win win and have said so."

In which case, I'm not sure why we are arguing on this topic ????.

It's obvious that the different sides believe different things, but as long as both sides 'win' - who cares?

It matters because the President is threatening to wield Presidential power to commit what he believes is harm to communities that do not support him.

This occasion releasing interned immigrants is a win win but the precedent is an act of intended harm.

That is an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It's not so much the crime buddy,It's the total optic !To come over under and around a border is illegal! These  Asylum seekers  are circumventing the law! I think its a good idea to send them to cities that go to extreme lengths to welcome them

• Like 1

Just now, riclag said:

It's not so much the crime buddy,It's the total optic !To come over under and around a border is illegal! These  Asylum seekers  are circumventing the law! I think its a good idea to send them to cities that go to extreme lengths to welcome them

Your support for releasing undocumented immigrants from detention and providing them with tax payer funded transport to cities where they will not be persecuted for their immigration status and from where they can travel as they wish (de facto open borders) is noted.

Pause and think about it.

16 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It matters because the President is threatening to wield Presidential power to commit what he believes is harm to communities that do not support him.

This occasion releasing interned immigrants is a win win but the precedent is an act of intended harm.

That is an extremely dangerous precedent to set.

I give up!

We both think it is a win/win situation, but you would prefer that it shouldn't be allowed to happen as it suits trump and his supporters....  The fact that it also suits 'sanctuary cities' isn't relevant.....

I would agree with you if the hierarchy were looking to impose something that wasn't wanted in those cities - but this is not the case!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your support for releasing undocumented immigrants from detention and providing them with tax payer funded transport to cities where they will not be persecuted for their immigration status and from where they can travel as they wish (de facto open borders) is noted.

Pause and think about it.

Then you are also against releasing illegal immigrants into the general public and against  illegal immigration in general. I am too. I also strongly support legal immigration and the right of sovereign countries, communities, and families to control their own destinies. It is a world wide thing and has been for at least 10,000 years.

What Trump is trying to do is force the problems back onto the perpetrators of our failed immigration system in the hope that eventually the laws and system can be fixed.  He is trying to solve a problem, not make one like so many of our corrupt politicians.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

44 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Nancy Pelosi is an elected congresswoman serving at the federal level . She has nothing to do with the local government of the great city and county of San Francisco.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Republicans have given up on the the separate and sovereign powers of States within the Union.

• Like 2

for anyone even partially 'awoked" ,    blaming immigrants  is  an obvious  distraction   from  what is really bleeding the world  which  is    inequality    ,   look no further than the  LOS  .....

the global south  will try to survive  by  coming to your country  if  you  bomb  and  pillage  their  natural resources ,   make butcher leaders into your allies ,  Sisi,  MBS  ,    what a great team  your on ......

more enforcement of your "laws"  will only end up destroying  whatever civil rights that remain,  so they will turn to violence  as their  last refuge  , thinking their guns will save them  from themselves

IMO

Edited by mooping20Baht
ss
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1