airconditioner not cool after power cut

giddyup

26 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Maybe the power is too low because everyone and his dog is using aircons now.

If the power is down, turn on a fan, it will be noticeably running a lot slower than with "full" power, be easier if you have a "meter" and can check the actual voltage.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

If the power is down, turn on a fan, it will be noticeably running a lot slower than with "full" power, be easier if you have a "meter" and can check the actual voltage.

The other two aircons work fine, so I assume we're back to full power.

• Like 1

you mentioned "gas" earlier...sounds like it previously leaked, and using it low on refrigerant wears it out at about 5X.  It takes a lot more power to start, if it has been abused...capacitator may not be able to deliver enough voltage to start it up.  Also, three aircon?  with 15/45 service, that could be problematic...the broken one could need 20+ amps to start.

1 minute ago, moontang said:

you mentioned "gas" earlier...sounds like it previously leaked, and using it low on refrigerant wears it out at about 5X.  It takes a lot more power to start, if it has been abused...capacitator may not be able to deliver enough voltage to start it up.  Also, three aircon?  with 15/45 service, that could be problematic...the broken one could need 20+ amps to start.

Never had 3 aircons running at the same time, not even 2, and not sure I mentioned gas. I did have one in the spare bedroom re-gassed some time ago, but not the one in question here.

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

with 15/45 service, that could be problematic...the broken one could need 20+ amps to start.

The size and age will make a difference but I have been running 5 AC for decades on 15/45 service without issues (although only one normally during day).  And have 3x 19CF refrigerators running full time.  

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Was thinking the above - if unit turned on when circuit breaker turned back on any computer malfunction might not get cleared - wanted to be sure you had actually turned the unit itself off using remote and not just removing electric supply.

Guess it time for tech help - good luck getting on hot/holiday/wet evening.

I have exactly the same problem after a power cut. Im not getting this. Are you saying turn the AC on and then turn the circuit breaker off ?

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The size and age will make a difference but I have been running 5 AC for decades on 15/45 service without issues (although only one normally during day).  And have 3x 19CF refrigerators running full time.  

my 17k btu ac uses 9 times more energy than my fridge.  Tally up the amps...

1 minute ago, madmen said:

I have exactly the same problem after a power cut. Im not getting this. Are you saying turn the AC on and then turn the circuit breaker off ?

No. Have the aircon turned off, then turn off the circuit breaker for 15 minutes, turn power back on and start the aircon again to see if it will blow cold or not. Mine didn't.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No. Have the aircon turned off, then turn off the circuit breaker for 15 minutes, turn power back on and start the aircon again to see if it will blow cold or not. Mine didn't.

Ok trying it now

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

How do you know if you have 15/45 service, where is it mentioned on the bill?

3 minutes ago, elmrfudd said:

you are lucky it lasted that long.

time for a new one

`Why are some people so eager to throw appliances on the garbage heap and adding to the landfill rather than repair them? My 8 year old washer stopped working a few weeks back, people said, 'get a new one", had it fixed locally for 900 baht, it will probably go another 8 years now.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How do you know if you have 15/45 service, where is it mentioned on the bill?

It isn't AFAIK, at least for MEA.  It will be clearly indicated on front of meter however.  15/45 is standard for most multi room homes.  Upcountry bungalows will often be 5/15 

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

The fan runs but not the compressor. It's a Samsung.

it hasnt come back on in fan/dry or clean mode, (selectable on the remote) ? 

I have an old samsung that has done similar at least once, off at the breaker for a while and came good.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

`Why are some people so eager to throw appliances on the garbage heap and adding to the landfill rather than repair them? My 8 year old washer stopped working a few weeks back, people said, 'get a new one", had it fixed locally for 900 baht, it will probably go another 8 years now.

You are right, I have had 3-4 air-conns repaired over the years, 1000 baht for a service call and parts. Then run for another couple of years.

I've had the same thing happen to me twice after a power out rages ....the problem was  the starter motor capacitor blow each time ....and had to be replace ( about 700b) ..it only effected one of my 5 units ....the engineer recommended turning the power off to that unit at every outrage ....and turning in back on again a short time after the power is back on ...that way there's not a power peak that can blow the starter capacitor. 

33 minutes ago, banglay said:

I've had the same thing happen to me twice after a power out rages ....the problem was  the starter motor capacitor blow each time ....and had to be replace ( about 700b) ..it only effected one of my 5 units ....the engineer recommended turning the power off to that unit at every outrage ....and turning in back on again a short time after the power is back on ...that way there's not a power peak that can blow the starter capacitor. 

Will keep that in mind for next time. Thanks.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Cleaning often cost 600 alone so not too bad - and good service time.  

Agreed, it's a Sunday and Songkran, so happy for him to come at 8.00 in the morning.

When I turn the circuit breaker back on there is a light that keeps flashing on the unit itself and only stops when I use the remote to turn back on, but still no luck. Organised for someone to come tomorrow. Thanks for trying though.

That flashing light is probably an error code so if you identify which light and how many flashes or just continuous then look it up and get the man in to fix it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Wirejerker said:

That flashing light is probably an error code so if you identify which light and how many flashes or just continuous then look it up and get the man in to fix it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was fixed this morning, new starter and a clean required. Working better than ever now.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Was fixed this morning, new starter and a clean required. Working better than ever now.

Yes as has been said, very often power surges will blow the capacitor, which to all intents and purposes could be called a "starter"..........unfortunately there is nothing much you can do about it unless you can get an anti-surge device to protect it and/or possibly the whole system.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes as has been said, very often power surges will blow the capacitor, which to all intents and purposes could be called a "starter"..........unfortunately there is nothing much you can do about it unless you can get an anti-surge device to protect it and/or possibly the whole system.

All I can do when there's a power cut is turn off the breaker for that aircon and turn back on after power has been restored.