105 road fatalities on first two days of Songkran

rooster59

7 hours ago, Mavideol said:

by the numbers provided it appears the restrictive measures were not implemented

I think they are implemented, since on normal days there are more traffic deaths!

If they think these are the most dangerous days, they don't have a f....ing clue about the rest of year with daily deaths averaging about 70 to 80!

As I mentioned several times: they easily CAN reduce the traffic deaths, but in reality nobody gives a s..t.

The government, the police AND the people themselves. ALL don't give a s..t.

Every time when I drive I see so many morons.

Driving within 1 meter distance of the car in front of them while doing 100km/h or more. Thousands of people driving on the emergency lane. Drunk drivers. I think this is the top 3 of causes for accidents. 

Not to mention the fact that they wipe out complete families who are in the back of the pick up trucks.

I really cannot understand why this is still allowed.

Yes, I do understand some people are depending on this, but then restrict the speed or use of big roads if you carry people in the back. 

I see morons with their families in the back of the truck passing me while I drive about 110km/h on the highway. 

Well, I can write all I want. Nothing changes soon for sure.

The problem is also that sometimes they try to do something, but they are really clueless on how to do something effectively.

Let's face it.  It's Thai style.  They like to party, many terrible (some good!) drivers, lazy cops, stupid checkpoints, the lame idea that a directive that deflects responsibility will have an effect, and in the final analysis, "mai pen rai."  

Perhaps a parallel situation: the horrendous flooding of about 2014 left as many as a thousand people dead from the floods, but it hadn't really been in the news. The reaction I got when mentioning this to a Thai woman was, "mai sam-kaan."  

• Like 2

So 105 deaths over two days = 52.5 deaths per day.  Seems to be under the average daily deaths. Maybe they are making a effort to scrape them up off the street and into the ambulance before they die to keep the numbers down.

For those saying they stay home during this period... isn't every day just about as dangerous? Taking ones life into your hands every time you venture out onto the roads.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:46 PM, Odysseus123 said:

I note that these statistics were announced by the "Tourism and Sports" Ministry.

One could read something into that,I suppose...

Welcome to Thailand .

7 minutes ago, wisperone said:

So 105 deaths over two days = 52.5 deaths per day.  Seems to be under the average daily deaths. Maybe they are making a effort to scrape them up off the street and into the ambulance before they die to keep the numbers down.

For those saying they stay home during this period... isn't every day just about as dangerous? Taking ones life into your hands every time you venture out onto the roads.

Maybe they haven't (just being nice here) collated all of the figures?

After all-it isn't easy to clear a battlefield

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

The the only way "This is Thailand "  is to limit the days to 3 for Songkran nationally to be celebrated all on the same days and no vehicles can be driven except public transportation. I hesitated to even make that exception but I guess if no one dies it just wouldn't be " This is Thailand "????

the thais love a good  party  as we all know.the only safe one is loi krathong i think.i,am sure we will get the figures after it is all over.next year will be the same                                                                                                 

I  have a  very  cynical friend who declares that  Thai holiday weekends  are actually  "culling days" .

What I have never been able to  convince  him of is that there are innocent victims  in the toll who  aside from deaths are the greater  number permanently  disabled and  maimed due to the pig ignorant who consider themselves immortal!

500 bts, here is your driving licence now see what you can do!

Police: 1. Its very hot today. 2. I have a shopping list for Big C-the air con is good! 3. Why should I do my job of upholding the law when nobody bothers to uphold the law and no one asks me to enforce it? Being a policeman is a great way of spending your day plus you get to wear a uniform with lots of badges on it ( even if its skin tight and looks like I was poured into it). Triple time at Songkran!!

13 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

wish they would break down the accident statistics into male and female.

Is that supposed to be sexist? Or ignorant?

Or both. 

I worked for years in mining "pits"

Preferred drivers to operate big haul trucks down into the pit were women.

Because they drove safely, they felt no need to be macho.

My wife drives very safely, as does the daughter.

And so I suspect, do many other non "influenced" men.

Of all the cars apprehended by police during Songkran, few were women. Most were influenced by alcohol or other drugs

I know you will not reply. 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Nicebus said:

Today i looked on "You Tube Thailand dash cam crashes "

Appalling really

Impatience.

Disregard for anyone else.

Inattention.

Not driving to the conditions.

Etc etc.

Ive been coming here for 15 years and sorry to say I cant see it ever changing in my time.

watch Russian dash cam carnage ...........

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, friendphil said:

Let's face it.  It's Thai style.  They like to party, many terrible (some good!) drivers, lazy cops, stupid checkpoints, the lame idea that a directive that deflects responsibility will have an effect, and in the final analysis, "mai pen rai."  

Perhaps a parallel situation: the horrendous flooding of about 2014 left as many as a thousand people dead from the floods, but it hadn't really been in the news. The reaction I got when mentioning this to a Thai woman was, "mai sam-kaan."  

RE - but it hadn't really been in the news.

It has or it hasn't - it cant be something between ... :thumbsup: