Global Warming - How Real Is It?

peter991

It strikes me as odd that whilst there is evidence for anthropogenic contribution to climate change, so little research is being done on the solar element in this. Further, I agree with Guesthouse, that energy efficient technologies should be explored and brought to market. Even if they only reduce the effects of change this would be a 'good idea', both environmentally and perhaps ironically for some economically.

Regards

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thin k most people agree that global warming is a big problem and that we as humans are a big cause but what can be done ? Scientists always come up with answers and different solutions . Apparantly the new fuel produced from palm trees is very efficient but by cutting down forests to plant more trees we are causing a negative impact .

Obvoius solutions that we can all take are easy but we really need our politicians to come up with a global solution agreed by usa and china, india etc very very soon . The longer they talk and put hard decisions off the harder it will become to reverse and already steaming train .

So every person in every country , that is aware , should pressure their leaders as much as possible for the sake of our children !

I can understand skepticism being the cause of sticking your head in the sand, after all Climate Change is a bit of a fuzzy thing to understand.

What I don't understand is the inability of some people, and in particular the bunch of clowns currently in control of the US Administration, failing to grasp that there are huge amounts of money to be made out of addressing climate change.

Almost all the technology to address climate change, with the exception of automotive efficiency, is held in the west, and in particular in the US.

Example: Failing to push for clean technology to be a requirement under international protocols leaves the emerging markets open to nations who are competing for business by selling old dirty technology.

China, India, Vietnam and I should add Iran, are buying crap technology because there is nothing stopping them polluting, if there was, they'd have to buy from the West instead of from Russia.

Alternatively:

The US can sit back, while other nations develop their own clean technologies - Just like they did with the automotive business.

It's true that that new technology is developing and that US companies owns most of this intellectual property. It's just that it is not quite ready for unveiling as yet. Venture capitalists are all over it however, and in the mean time they seem to want to wring every last dime out of carbon. perhaps ot's an attempt to get China to commit it's capital to outdated energy paradigms, I'm not sure.

I would say cheap solar is less than 3 years away and solar cracked hydrogen repalcement of NG power generators is maybe 12-15 years away.

Despite the international scientific community's consensus on climate change, a very small band of critics continues to deny that climate change exists or that humans are causing it.

As soon as someone mentions 'consensus' to try to justify that their view is the 'right one' you can be pretty sure the rest of their post is going to be full of BS.

Oh, and so you know, science isn't a majority vote. If it was we would still consider the world to be flat.

TEI organizes 3rd Global Warming Reduction project

The Thailand Environment Institute (TEI) is organizing the 3rd Global Warming Reduction project, with an aim for people to help reduce global warming in their local areas.

Mr. Chamnian Woraratchaiphan, the TEI's Director of Field Activities, says the TEI and Toyota Motor Thailand Company Limited are jointly organizing this project to stimulate schools, communities, and cities across the country to find constructive ways to lower global warming. Some of the solutions include using less energy and emitting less greenhouse gases.

The project will be implemented in the local administrative organizations, and they will educate people about global warming and ways to reduce it. The project consists of four main activities. They include the reduction of electricity usage, the reduction of garbage, the transportation alternatives, and the planting of trees. Interested schools that would like to join this project can register at the TEI before July 9th.

Mr. Chamnian says everyone has the responsibility to solve global warming. They can manage the waste materials in their residences, grow more trees, consume less energy, and live sufficiently.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 June 2007