Repatriation and Insight

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Most people who feel they are unable to really settle here put all the blame on Thais and Thailand without recognizing that at least some of the problem belongs to them and their misconceptions of Thais, Thailand and how green the grass will be elsewhere.

Yep, corrupt Police harrasement is normal for Thailand in 2019, and it's my fault their abuse upsets me. I don't understand Thai culture well.

They spend very little time  getting to know the country  and people before deciding to settle here and once they make the move they experience homesickness. Rather than admit to that they begin to catalog all the things that are "wrong" in Thailand .

I did not experience home sickness.

Thais and Thailand are pretty much the same as they were a few months ago when you decided to move here.  You concocted some fantasy about Thailand (aka donned the legendary rose colored spectacles ... often wrongly said about those who actually are happy here) and, despite your best efforts, Thailand hasn't rushed to accommodate your fantasy nor do they seem eager to become pseudo Americans (or Brits or Germans or whoever). And basically you miss Mom and Dad or whoever it is you imagine is pining away since you left home.

You must be confusing me with some other poster, I stayed 8 years in Bangkok and 13 years in total in Asia.

Yeah, I did miss Mum and Dad, but not enough to disrupt my existence in the region.

Edited by lkv

@Captain Jack One piece of advice. I've got exactly the same car as you, plus a Ford Escape.

Sign up for AARP, they have a great deal on car insurance with the 'The Hartford'

I pay $900 a year (and yes they sign you up for 12 months) for the two cars. Comprehensive, max liability limits, towing, glass, the works.

It's the best insurance deal you can find.....well at least for us old 'un's"

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, lkv said:

You must be confusing me with some other poster, I stayed 8 years in Bangkok and 13 years in total in Asia.

Sorry, I used the word "you" in part of what I wrote with the intention of addressing many people who find it hard to adjust to life in Thailand. I didn't mean to be speaking about you or any specific individual since I know nothing about your personal experience. 

There are are undoubtedly people who have lived here for longer periods of time and simply want a change and/or otherwise have rational reasons for moving on.

I meant to be speaking about those who make no effort to understand what their lives in Thailand will be like, who make a knee-jerk decision to move here, who discover it's different from what they imagined and who almost immediately start kvetching about what's wrong with Thailand rather than admitting it was a dumb move on their part.

Poor choice of pronoun on my part.