Obtaining a birth certificate, Thai mother, English father

Seanyboy

Hi All,

I’m sure this has been done to death, but a cursory look through the forum didn’t yield a complete answer so I’ll start a new topic.

My wife and I are expecting a baby in August and I would like to know the entire process for obtaining a birth certificate, right from birth to getting the certificate.

Pertinent information: I’m English, but live and work in Bahrain. My wife is Thai (Married in February). The baby will be born in a private hospital in Udon. The birth certificate will need to be in our family name as I then need to apply for a passport for the baby ASAP so that my wife and child can come to Bahrain and I can begin the process of applying for a residence visa for them both sponsored by my employer.

To be named on the certificate as father, what documents do myself and mum need to supply? What is the process and approximately what timescale can I expect before I get the birth certificate? Do I need to be present for the registration/application?

I would have liked the baby to be born in Bahrain but unfortunately the laws there will not permit this very easily. As such, I will probably only be in Thailand for about three weeks after the birth, assuming the baby comes on time.

Any advise appreciated.

There is a good chance the hospital will register the birth at the district office for you. Get your wife to ask them if they provide this service. If they do, they will provide your wife with a copy of the requirements. Normally, it would be a signed copy of your passport and your marriage certificate. Your wife will have to provide her documents aswell.

As you are married then your name has already been transliterated into Thai, so no problems there. It needs to be exactly the same spelling on the birth certificate.

Do check the requirements of your own country regarding translations of Thai documents into your native language (if required). It's going to be much easier to get things sorted in Thailand if you are certain what is required.

Remember that your child must be registered in a Thai house book within 15 days. Your wife can do this or she can authorise someone to do it for her.

Once the house book is completed you will be able to get the child a Thai passport. Remember that you must be at the passport office with your wife to apply for the passport. It's also a good time to renew your wife's passport if the validity is short.

Good luck, congratulations in advance and feel free to ask questions so you can get your timeline sorted.

Archived