Moved back to USA after 14 years in CM- 1 yr later

amykat

So here is my report:  I never miss Thailand. Never think about it other than I might miss to get a cheap massage.  I sometimes remember my house as in it existed and that it was bigger than my current house and more useful in some ways.  I miss some of my dogs that I was forced to leave there. I miss my car (Subaru SUV) that I had to sell and I had not owned for a long time and did not buy again here because my Mother gave me her old car, which is a nice car, but not my style and I sort of hate it. This is a more luxury car but I like my old car better.  My house here is more luxury also but smaller and I am having trouble adapting and feeling comfortable here.  More a situation of that I don't like the exact layout and that I picked it over the internet and it does not suit my purposes as well as my Thai house, although I often hated my Thai house and thought I made a mistake with it, but it seems I really liked it!!!  I guess it really suited me!!  Exactly what I liked but I always felt like it was shit because it was Thai and somewhat strange. I had two houses on my property and that used to bother me after a while.  I did that because Thai people stole from me and used to invade my privacy ...also I had parrots (and 7-8 dogs) and wanted to save them from aircon. (Aircon is not good good for birds for those of you who do not know.)   Anyway I picked an area of town that was perfect in all ways, the entire time I lived there and became more and more popular.  My house had 2 living rooms, 3 bathrooms with bathtubs, a big central front room that I used for the parrots that most people call their living room, etc.  I don't call that my living room but my entry way.

Now I have a huge yard, I had a reasonable yard in Thailand but the difference was the heat!!  I never could do anything in the heat there.  Now I planted a big butterfly/hummingbird garden and spend a lot of time outside because the freaking heat does not KILL ME.  I also have bird feeders and bird houses and birds have built nests out there.  Oh and I have hummingbird feeders. I spend several hours per day outside. I feel I am much healthier just getting daylight to my eyes than in Thailand were I lived like I might as well been in Alaska hiding from the heat. My house was dark like a cave.  I have a covered patio and 1/3 acre backyard with many kinds of old trees.  I used to be a photographer before I moved to Thailand. I gave it up a bit before that because I was busy doing other things and did not pick it back up again WHY? OH, well ...import taxes on equipment, poor choice of equipment that exists there, lack of feeling to do ANYTHING IN THE HEAT, feeling that I might get burglarized if I had $20K or 30K or more of equipment in my house.  Also not wanting to go out here and there with that kind of thing strapped to my body. I feel that one way I survived there was not making myself a target in many ways. (Not only Thailand but also traveling in all the associated countries including India ...keep in mind I am a small blonde woman.) Now I came back and I have easily $50K of photo equipment and the computer things that go along with it.  That is without that bullshit taxes in Thailand that I would have had to pay.

But I always felt it wasn't safe really.  Face in camera, motorbike wipes you away.  Stories of getting killed for $500 cameras in various countries ...western ladies. Much less lady with $10,000 birding lens.  Yes, yes, I am sure some of you now will write me and say you do it all the time.  MEN, big western men.  Whatever. I made choices while I lived there and I survived. I lived there with a bit of money for 14 years and some serious issues from time to time, some death threats, my daughter kidnapped, employee issues people said I need to move house or pay extortion fees and I said I will kill people first! I got driven off the road a few times and followed all around, things happen in Thailand and you have to deal with it and you find out what kind of person you are if you don't know already ...you find out!! I am a fighter ...I will fight you even if I think I will die!!!!  I got beaten a few times there to be honest ...I got beaten but I fought back every time and scared the hell out of the Thai people!!!!  Things that happened to me are no joke and I am lucky I survived I guess?  Or they are lucky they survived because I was pretty pissed off too???  No but seriously Thailand is no joke and people die there.

Case of sour grapes? spittin in the well you drank from? or just venting anger? horses for courses sir, not everyone feel like you... i don't think Thailand, worts and all, will not miss you either... 

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I gave up after the first couple of lines about the comparison of your houses and your cars.

Wasn't that post supposed to be about Thailand?

You missed all of the Superhero stuff. I'm sure there's a Marvel character in the making there somewhere.

wow...I'm glad we never met.  maybe stick to Facebook and post about everything you own, include receipts, feelings, all your great equipment.  these narcissistic ramblings only tell me you hate your life and are really insecure.  but if you are 19, don't worry, it might get better.  

and hate your mom for giving you that car!!!!   

And that's the beauty of it all. Some of us really, REALLY like LOS.  I've been in California since last August nursing a sick relative back to health. She did very well for herself and lives in a posh section of Silicon Valley, and I hate it. Counting down the seconds until I get to come back in June. Happy for your choice, that many more massages for us (soapy or otherwise).

42 minutes ago, amykat said:

I lived there with a bit of money for 14 years and some serious issues from time to time, some death threats, my daughter kidnapped, employee issues people said I need to move house or pay extortion fees and I said I will kill people first! I got driven off the road a few times and followed all around,

Where the heck did you live? :shock1:

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I gave up after the first couple of lines about the comparison of your houses and your cars.

Wasn't that post supposed to be about Thailand?

yes, it was about Thailand, did you get a complex feeling inferior?

28 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Case of sour grapes? spittin in the well you drank from? or just venting anger? horses for courses sir, not everyone feel like you... i don't think Thailand, worts and all, will not miss you either... 

Really?  you guys can NEVER SEE???????????????????????  I tell you like it is <deleted>.  I tell you things I like now, things I did not like then straight like a police report and you freak out like little girls with bows in a knot!!!!!

1 minute ago, amykat said:

Really?  you guys can NEVER SEE???????????????????????  I tell you like it is <deleted>.  I tell you things I like now, things I did not like then straight like a police report and you freak out like little girls with bows in a knot!!!!!

I take it English is not your first language?

did I say EZZRA somewhere in my report that I thought all western men thought like I do?  did I say somewhere that I thought anyone thought same as I do <deleted>?  did I say all people think same as I do <deleted>? 

Sounds nice, hope your daughter likes her new school and has made friends.

Too many posters on this forum attack those who don't think Thailand is the perfect place, probably insecurity.

I'd be gone too, it it wasn't for my kids.

Has it really been a year since you left?

3 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

???? This kicks ass. ???? Where did you move to, the same place you came from? ...iow, cold / not too cold...crazy or not so crazy...

No, I came from Los Angles and moved to the southern USA ...in between I lived in Chiang Mai

You're not that mad woman who posts on the other forum are you?  The one who can't <deleted> compose a <deleted> sentence without <deleted> using <deleted> <deleted> swear words all the time?

'Cos you sound like her.....

How are your parrots BTW?

"No but seriously Thailand is no joke and people die there".

Try living in Detroit. People die everywhere. I've been living here 9 years and never had a problem from anyone, but then, I'm pretty easy to get along with.

Why did you move to thailand in the first place? 14 years is a long time to cuss about heat.

If you can afford to live in the USA with "little money" and have all your birds and cameras. and stuff - good for you.   Cost of living is very high in the USA, unless you live in a trailer in Arkansas or Mississippi 

28 minutes ago, Vacuum said:
1 hour ago, amykat said:

I lived there with a bit of money for 14 years and some serious issues from time to time, some death threats, my daughter kidnapped, employee issues people said I need to move house or pay extortion fees and I said I will kill people first! I got driven off the road a few times and followed all around,

Where the heck did you live? :shock1:

The OP hasn't replied, so I'll ask again.  Because it's pretty bizarro.  "Death threats, daughter kidnapped, extortion"....I mean, seriously.  I do not know one person with any of these problems in CM.  Either the OP just made this up, or she's mistaken CM for Honduras.   

6 minutes ago, Liverpudlian said:

If i was  mod here i would have locked this topic way back !  so many handbag slingers.

What the hell is a "handbag slinger", did a Google search and can't find that term anywhere.

I do not have to be right but if i was forced to guess people with problems that huge will follow them no matter what country they are in. Took five years to build up a rage and almost get killed in Thailand.... wait five years in your current country and see how things are going. Hopefully ok. 

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What the hell is a "handbag slinger", did a Google search and can't find that term anywhere.

Viz a bunch of old women with nothing to do but sling there bag at someone they dont see eye to eye with, the easy thing to do is simply ignore the topic if it winds you up. Get my drift ?

Just now, Liverpudlian said:

Viz a bunch of old women with nothing to do but sling there bag at someone they dont see eye to eye with, the easy thing to do is simply ignore the topic if it winds you up. Get my drift ?

If people did that this forum would cease to exist.

10 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

The OP hasn't replied, so I'll ask again.  Because it's pretty bizarro.  "Death threats, daughter kidnapped, extortion"....I mean, seriously.  I do not know one person with any of these problems in CM.  Either the OP just made this up, or she's mistaken CM for Honduras.   

Seems to happen fairly frequently to elderly white men living the rural life in Thailand.

Plenty of posts about murder, knife attacks, buried bodies, child snatching and buying houses you get thrown out of.

I find her tale of woe commonplace and completely credible.

Archived