At least 156 dead, hundreds injured in multiple blasts at churches, hotels on Easter Sunday

Jonathan Fairfield

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Perhaps 20 years is a bit exaggerated, but i have noticed that the younger generations are less interested in religion.

I don't have stats, but there seem to be a trend.

That's probably because the younger generation gets their information from internet and not from the clergy. Once you start comparing religions objectively, without hard-core indoctrination by parents/clergy/schools/etc, it's like picking out the best turd. Better without.

Anyway, knock yourselves out: http://www.selectsmart.com/RELIGION/

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

Not just hours before the attack, but repeated warnings from Indian & Sri Lankan intelligence in the months prior with caches of explosives being found in Sri Lanka, specific people being identified and so on. The attack was not a spur of the moment event, been planned for months. Lack of action by government apparently due to political dispute between PM & President. Would not be surprised to read of complete shake up of politicians in Sri Lanka (potentially criminal charges?)

7 hours ago, arithai12 said:

More than the Sri Lankan intelligence service, the President & Prime Minister should answer.

Easter Day attacks: death toll reaches 359.

The number of fatalities reported in the suicide bomb attacks that took place on the Easter Day (April 21st) has increased to 359 as of today, the Police Media Spokesperson stated. Article

16 hours ago, Thainesss said:

Death toll up to 321 human beings. 

Three HUNDRED and twenty one innocent people slaughtered. 

321 people and counting and the liberal left thought leaders have not once mentioned that they were christians nor called out radical muslim terrorism. 

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attacks, along with local Sri Lankan extremists and not one peep from the left calling out radical islam, islamic hatred, or terrorism. 

Muslim extremism is the biggest threat to modern society since Hitler and nobody on the left even has the balls to acknowledge it, yet have no issue bashing the political right anytime 'someone does something' horrible. 

Complete trash, and I wholly believe there will be more to come. 

Death toll now up to 359. 

Muslim extremism, biggest threat to modern society since hitler. 

6 hours ago, simple1 said:

The attack was not a spur of the moment event, been planned for months. Lack of action by government apparently due to political dispute between PM & President. Would not be surprised to read of complete shake up of politicians in Sri Lanka (potentially criminal charges?)

What about investigation of muslim extremist groups? 

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The rest of the world may take a while longer

Sri Lanka is a small island with decades of counter terrorism experience. Extremely tough  and cruel, look what happened at the end of the Civil War. However, Western security chiefs have estimated violent Islamist extremism will take decades to resolve.

45 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Sri Lanka is a small island with decades of counter terrorism experience. Extremely tough  and cruel, look what happened at the end of the Civil War. However, Western security chiefs have estimated violent Islamist extremism will take decades to resolve.

It's been going on for 1400 years so a few more decades would be a good result!

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

I (and I think most) am more concerned with 1.5b Muslims following an increasingly fundamental Islam and trying to force it on us

Logically looking ISIS was following the purest form of Islam, weren't they? Literal instructions from the original instructions. Others are watered down versions. Question is how eager are they in moving to the higher octane stuff.

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

You are correct. Terrorists will understand ONLY one language - their own... terror. The then leaders, spoke that language fluently and crushed the terrorists without any mercy. This did disturb many 'humans' but the daily carnage was stopped and the civilians lived peacefully until the 21 April 2019 morning.

Now the country is searching for a proper leader to finish the pending job.

Unfortunately, today there is a great lacuna of a proper leadership.

13 minutes ago, ravip said:

This did disturb many 'humans' but the daily carnage was stopped and the civilians lived peacefully until the 21 April 2019 morning.

At the end of the Civil War, Sri Lanka military were accused of War Crimes, bordering on genocide. As you will know Sri Lanka denied entry of appointed investigators so nothing eventuated.

I visited Sri Lanka about six years ago, travelled around independently & liked the place. At the same time there was a strong military and armed police presence in some areas, so not so sure "the civilians lived peaceably".

6 minutes ago, simple1 said:

At the end of the Civil War, Sri Lanka military were accused of War Crimes, bordering on genocide. As you will know Sri Lanka denied entry of appointed investigators so nothing eventuated.

I visited Sri Lanka about six years ago, travelled around independently & liked the place. At the same time there was a strong military and armed police presence in some areas, so not so sure "the civilians lived peaceably".

After 3 decades of war... I am not sure if relaxing security is a good idea - Just look at the current situation. Although the military 'presence' was seen, people were not intimidated nor were they harassed. In fact the people got along very well with the forces! During the war AND after the war and even now, there are many parties who are interested in destabilising the country for their own gain. As you know, war is money, big money.

Today, many are under the opinion this unfortunate carnage could have been avoided...who knows? How far this will go... Even today, some explosives had been found by the security forces and detonated in a controlled environment.

Yes, the civilians were living peacefully with no restrictions.

10 hours ago, ravip said:

After 3 decades of war... I am not sure if relaxing security is a good idea - Just look at the current situation. Although the military 'presence' was seen, people were not intimidated nor were they harassed. In fact the people got along very well with the forces! During the war AND after the war and even now, there are many parties who are interested in destabilising the country for their own gain. As you know, war is money, big money.

Today, many are under the opinion this unfortunate carnage could have been avoided...who knows? How far this will go... Even today, some explosives had been found by the security forces and detonated in a controlled environment.

Yes, the civilians were living peacefully with no restrictions.

OK. Let's rephrase "most civilians were / are living peacefully" i.e. there were riots and harassment by Buddhist nationalists destroying Muslim owned businesses, property and attacking individuals. Also it is known Sri Lankan security forces continue to use torture and other crimes against Boat People returnees, one would assume such activities are not limited to Boat People.

16 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

The better starting point is the hadith a Bukari 'I was made victorious with terror'- the prophet Mohammad. Wikipedia is not a reliable source for many things, the history of Islam being one of them

Wikipedia provides original sources to enable further review of a topic. To flatly dismiss Wikipedia links as a starting point for review and research is IMO not constructive.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:28 AM, simple1 said:

OK. Let's rephrase "most civilians were / are living peacefully" i.e. there were riots and harassment by Buddhist nationalists destroying Muslim owned businesses, property and attacking individuals. Also it is known Sri Lankan security forces continue to use torture and other crimes against Boat People returnees, one would assume such activities are not limited to Boat People.

Which brings us back as to why the authorities have closed down the internet?

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Which brings us back as to why the authorities have closed down the internet?

Actually social media platform. However, from a recent media article...

"It says it is necessary to stop the spread of misinformation and the incitement of violence in the wake of the Easter Sunday bombings. The ban raises questions as to whether it is censorship or a government fulfilling its duty of care to its citizens"

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/04/sri-lanka-continues-social-media-ban-to-prevent-violence-190425123835834.html

I concur with the latter as social media commentary in Sri Lanka has previously led to riots e.g. Buddhist attacks on Muslims

On 4/25/2019 at 3:58 AM, simple1 said:

Well... for this may I answer as yes and no?

there were riots and harassment by Buddhist nationalists destroying Muslim owned businesses, property and attacking individuals

Yes. there had been sporadic incidences. Mostly by political goons on both sides, spilling over to the civilians.

Also it is known Sri Lankan security forces continue to use torture and other crimes against Boat People returnees...

No. The rumour mongers machines have been working over time! There are refugee colonies that has become a huge burden to the country, especially with an economy going down hill very rapidly. There are many 'do good' organisations that do a lot of talking, but doing sweet nothing except wining and dining in a glorious manner and spinning around in luxury vehicles!

Re the Sri Lankan security forces and torture... is there a single security force in this world that handles terrorists with kid gloves? But they been accused of torturing boat people? I cannot imagine, to gain what. The SL forces today are a quite battle hardened lot and are not too uncivilised as some say...

Here are some interesting links about this subject.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-refugees/u-n-says-sri-lanka-illegally-returning-pakistani-asylum-seekers-idUSKBN0G20JX20140802

https://www.newsfirst.lk/2014/08/03/sri-lanka-strong-criticisms-pakistani-asylum-seekers-deportation/

16 minutes ago, ravip said:

Well... for this may I answer as yes and no?

there were riots and harassment by Buddhist nationalists destroying Muslim owned businesses, property and attacking individuals

Yes. there had been sporadic incidences. Mostly by political goons on both sides, spilling over to the civilians.

Also it is known Sri Lankan security forces continue to use torture and other crimes against Boat People returnees...

No. The rumour mongers machines have been working over time! There are refugee colonies that has become a huge burden to the country, especially with an economy going down hill very rapidly. There are many 'do good' organisations that do a lot of talking, but doing sweet nothing except wining and dining in a glorious manner and spinning around in luxury vehicles!

Re the Sri Lankan security forces and torture... is there a single security force in this world that handles terrorists with kid gloves? But they been accused of torturing boat people? I cannot imagine, to gain what. The SL forces today are a quite battle hardened lot and are not too uncivilised as some say...

Here are some interesting links about this subject.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sri-lanka-refugees/u-n-says-sri-lanka-illegally-returning-pakistani-asylum-seekers-idUSKBN0G20JX20140802

https://www.newsfirst.lk/2014/08/03/sri-lanka-strong-criticisms-pakistani-asylum-seekers-deportation/

Sri Lanka hasn't ratified the UN Convention for Refugees. However, refoulement is considered a major abuse of Human Rights. In Australia it has been reported that forcibly returned Boat People have been  subjected to abuse by security forces.

In the bigger picture of torture and other human rights abuses in Sri Lanka I refer you to the latest US State Department Human Rights report which doesn't come across as a particularly good reference.

The most significant human rights issues included unlawful killings; torture; sexual abuse; arbitrary arrest; lengthy detention; lack of property restitution by the military; and surveillance and harassment of civil society activists and journalists. Government discrimination toward and security forces harassment of Tamils and nondenominational Christian groups persisted. Same-sex sexual conduct was prohibited by law, though rarely prosecuted.

https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/hrrpt/2017/sca/277293.htm

If so, why did the ISIS backed Islamic fanatics go for “Christian targets” and not Buddhists in Sri Lanka?!? Christians account for 7-8% of the population whereas the Buddhist population makeup to around 87%. The comment above said Buddhists were harassing the Muslims. I have been to Sri Lanka twice on holiday ( the first time traveling solo & visiting the areas outside the tourist areas. The Christian church communities provide hospitals, schools, and preach love- not hate. What do these Muslim enclaves have to offer that is positive to their communities???

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If so, why did the ISIS backed Islamic fanatics go for “Christian targets” and not Buddhists in Sri Lanka?!? Christians account for 7-8% of the population whereas the Buddhist population makeup to around 87%. The comment above said Buddhists were harassing the Muslims. I have been to Sri Lanka twice on holiday ( the first time traveling solo & visiting the areas outside the tourist areas. The Christian church communities provide hospitals, schools, and preach love- not hate. What do these Muslim enclaves have to offer that is positive to their communities???

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
ISIS just want to kill indiscriminately.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Archived