Dislocated Shoulder Joint

dddave

Yesterday, I tripped on a floor mat and fell hard.  Result;  dislocated shoulder joint.  It was obvious though Have never had one before, arm hanging at an odd outward angle and mucho pain.  Taxied to Sukhumvit Hospital, Ekkamai and entered through the E.W.  I've used them in the past so no registration delay.  Straight into treatment area, quickly on my way to X-ray.  By the time I returned from X-ray an orthopedic doctor was waiting.  He stretched me out prone, gently extended my arm vertically and very methodically manipulated the humerus back into it's socket.  I was expecting the procedure to be very painful but all I experienced were a couple of sharp twinges; very skillfully done.  

My arm was put in a sling and I was given an appointment for a follow-up visit in a weeks time but in the noise and side chatter by nearby staff, I totally missed his care instructions between now and the follow-up. He was gone before I could ask him to repeat them.  I was prescribed Celebrix and Myonal.

Total bill; B6500

From what I read online, I should just keep it in the sling and do no exercise or stretching, is this correct?  It is not giving me pain at a relaxed hanging position, even out of the sling but if I make a move the wrong way, it lets me know. 

Anybody have experience with this?  A friend noted that tendons take longer to heal than bones. How long does it usually take to regain full movement?

i

i

Hi, i had a dislocated shoulder many years ago, remember i kept the sling for 2 weeks.

After that, my arm was awfully thin, and had no power whatsoever, so it took me some another 2 weeks of physiotherapy exercises to be back to normal.

Let it rest is the correct procedure i guess, and the "socket" will always be a bit loose after that, i noticed that when playing volley and basketball.

I was 38 at the time of the accident, i think the way and time of recovery may depend on your age.

Have a quick recovery !

• Like 1