Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

46 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Hmmm kinda sounds like its a boring place.. How about NhaTrang

my experiences in da nang have been different. each time usually spend 1 month there. i take a surfboard focus on sport and fitness during the day. explore nice food and venues at night. have made local friends as well as others. maybe as my priority is not social life i have a different perspective. not focusing on it and just doing normal stuff. have met many nice gals also. one gal invited me out to dinner and karaoke and refused to let me pay but i left a tip at venues. many chinese, korean, some japanese single women travel as friends together and are friendly. many get frustrated trying to pickup girls when you can meet them in a better way, a spontaneous way.  wechat is full with p4p if thats what interests you.  its a healthy place with clean air and decent climate. lotte mart mall is quite nice and there is a vincom mall also nice. vincom mall has an ice skating rink and i believe movie theatre. 

if duly interested, so called free range women are abundant at hoi an 20 minutes away but they are not p4p, you actually must exercise charm and tact.  da nang has an underground companionship lady business if you make friends with viet locals that set introduce you. there are some freelance bars also

nha trang has a shorter beach and smaller footprint and is way more developed. same tourism demographic plus russians. have met russian gals there.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, atyclb said:

my experiences in da nang have been different. each time usually spend 1 month there. i take a surfboard focus on sport and fitness during the day. explore nice food and venues at night. have made local friends as well as others. maybe as my priority is not social life i have a different perspective. not focusing on it and just doing normal stuff. have met many nice gals also. one gal invited me out to dinner and karaoke and refused to let me pay but i left a tip at venues. many chinese, korean, some japanese single women travel as friends together and are friendly. many get frustrated trying to pickup girls when you can meet them in a better way, a spontaneous way.  wechat is full with p4p if thats what interests you.  its a healthy place with clean air and decent climate. lotte mart mall is quite nice and there is a vincom mall also nice. vincom mall has an ice skating rink and i believe movie theatre. 

if duly interested, so called free range women are abundant at hoi an 20 minutes away but they are not p4p, you actually must exercise charm and tact.  da nang has an underground companionship lady business if you make friends with viet locals that set introduce you. there are some freelance bars also

nha trang has a shorter beach and smaller footprint and is way more developed. same tourism demographic plus russians. have met russian gals there.

Yes that sounds much more pleasant in my ears.

Perhaps Britmantoo was missing the exact same Pattaya bar scenery in DaNang that I personally don't care much about.

I don’t get much satisfaction sitting in a hot soi Bukaw bar with an isarn chick playing 4 in a row for hours long

4 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:
28 minutes ago, atyclb said:

Perhaps Britmantoo was missing the exact same Pattaya bar scenery in DaNang that I personally don't care much about.

I don’t get much satisfaction sitting in a hot soi Bukaw bar with an isarn chick playing 4 in a row for hours long

hehe not to mention listening to the same bar girl come on lines from the script book.

13 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

If you end up doing that in Pattaya , you will end up doing that in Vietnam as well 

On 7/8/2019 at 8:13 AM, atyclb said:

and i know a thai dentist that vacationed in france with her thai husband and also remarked about tasteless food.

I usually give them a bottle of Tabasco because when I Thai says it's tasteless they mean no chillies.

Might depend on whether or not you are a single man. Pattaya is far better in that regard. In Vietnam it is not as common to see mixed couples. I was there with my Thai woman, and since she has a kind of Pan-Asian look, we got alot of dirty and looks of disapproval, from the locals. Not that I care. What others think of me means less than zero. But, it was not the kind of environment you have in Thailand. Here, we just fit in. Also, traveling within Thailand is a joy if you have a Thai woman, as the local just embrace you, and tend to be very kind to you, wherever you go. That is a real joy. Not at all the case in Vietnam. I felt scorn, at times. I tend to like to travel to places where the people are either friendly, or at least indifferent. 

I have taken three long trips to Vietnam over the past 20 years, to both the north and the south. The entire country leaves me underwhelmed. The people can be like cold fish. Not particularly warm, nice or friendly. And they most definitely do not have the fun loving, light hearted quality alot of Thai people have. Many really seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Cannot blame them. They have a horrendous history. 

I agree about immigration here and I despise the army and the hardships they have imposed on ex-pats and most Thai people too. But, I will take them over a communist government any day of the week. And I will take the Thai people over the Vietnamese people any day of the week!

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have taken three long trips to Vietnam over the past 20 years, to both the north and the south. The entire country leaves me underwhelmed. The people can be like cold fish. Not particularly warm, nice or friendly. And they most definitely do not have the fun loving, light hearted quality alot of Thai people have. Many really seem to have a chip on their shoulders. Cannot blame them. They have a horrendous history. 

i don't like foreigners much, don't really care what colour/religion/nationality of foreigner they are, fake smile or no.

As long as they're polite when they serve me, that's all I require of them.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

i don't like foreigners much, don't really care what colour/religion/nationality of foreigner they are, fake smile or no.

As long as they're polite when they serve me, that's all I require of them.

I do not know if your post was tongue in cheek, or not. I love foreigners. Of all stripes and colors. I tend to find most white people back in the US to be empty suits, who are boring beyond imagination. And I say this as a white man, so no racism involved, just stating it as I see it. Not so with foreigners. 

I do agree with the polite part. And I get alot of that here. Not so much in Vietnam. I ran into people there who were so rude, I had to restrain myself. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was there with my Thai woman, and since she has a kind of Pan-Asian look, we got alot of dirty and looks of disapproval, from the locals.

a friend of mine had the same problem in vietnam and its just that viet people need a little more time to get used to tall woman with deep voices and big feet

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Might depend on whether or not you are a single man. Pattaya is far better in that regard. In Vietnam it is not as common to see mixed couples. I was there with my Thai woman, and since she has a kind of Pan-Asian look, we got alot of dirty and looks of disapproval, from the locals. Not that I care. What others think of me means less than zero. But, it was not the kind of environment you have in Thailand. Here, we just fit in. Also, traveling within Thailand is a joy if you have a Thai woman, as the local just embrace you, and tend to be very kind to you, wherever you go. That is a real joy. Not at all the case in Vietnam. I felt scorn, at times. I tend to like to travel to places where the people are either friendly, or at least indifferent. 

I agree about immigration here and I despise the army and the hardships they have imposed on ex-pats and most Thai people too. But, I will take them over a communist government any day of the week. And I will take the Thai people over the Vietnamese people any day of the week!

That's a really good point.  My Thai family and I socialize all the time in public with never a problem.  I go the the hospital to see a well known doctor who treats hi so patients with never a problem.  And a lot of other examples but you hit the nail on the head.  

21 minutes ago, atyclb said:

a friend of mine had the same problem in vietnam and its just that viet people need a little more time to get used to tall woman with deep voices and big feet

When faced with reality and a negative that strikes Vietnam off 90% of expats list you try and fluff it off with a joke.  Why not just admit Vietnamese people are not nice and neither is the government.   

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:
24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

When faced with reality and a negative that strikes Vietnam off 90% of expats list you try and fluff it off with a joke.  Why not just admit Vietnamese people are not nice and neither is the government.   

that wasn't even a thought. i saw an opp to reply in a slightly lighthearted way.

i have yet to perceive such negativity-hostility in vietnam and have spent a lot of time there.  i got robbed once in hcm many years ago but i was not being streetwise.

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Since all of your posts in each and every thread are always Pro Thai therefore i take them like a grain of salt!

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Since all of your posts in each and every thread are always Pro Thai therefore i take them like a grain of salt!

They are not all pro Thai by a long shot.  They are all pro truth.  I see many things wrong in Thailand.  Less than America or Vietnam but many.  

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

They are not all pro Thai by a long shot.  They are all pro truth.  I see many things wrong in Thailand.  Less than America or Vietnam but many.  

Mate we all read every day your meaningless controversial pro Thai baseless posts.

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
50 minutes ago, atyclb said:

in conversations i have had with multiple viet people it seems they most resent the chinese as trying to strong arm and control their country. these people never expressed resentment towards other nationalities. the viet war ended 40 years ago and dont forget it was a war by proxy usa against china

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I was there with my Thai woman, and since she has a kind of Pan-Asian look, we got alot of dirty and looks of disapproval, from the locals.

My Thai wife and I travelled last March to Hanoi. She hadn´t this experience. What was annoying, that everybody wanted to talk Vietnamese with her and she had to tell always that she is Thai.

We hated the traffic, the annoying beep beep everywhere and the selfish people they parked and drove everywhere. But I have heard, that Hanoi is the worst city in Vietnam at this.

I checked some FB estate groups and saw that it´s MUCH more expensive a nice house in Da Nang, nearly the double price than Thailand. I found nothing nice below 1,000 USD. 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:
8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That's a really good point.  My Thai family and I socialize all the time in public with never a problem.  I go the the hospital to see a well known doctor who treats hi so patients with never a problem.  And a lot of other examples but you hit the nail on the head.  

first off as you and i are both coffee buffs let me say viet has some very good coffee as growing conditions and soil are more akin to south america. thai coffee is usually bitter. have had some superb boutique roasts in viet.

i once wlked off the street into a hanoi dentist office as i have a known dental abrasion that can cause pain. dentist examined me and put composite over abrasion. took about 3 minutes total. she refused to accept payment. we have been friends on facebook ever since.

my personal dentist in da nang speaks great english and is highly competent and very friendly. her dad is physician so seems she could have reason to be arrogant but not so.

4 hours ago, atyclb said:

first off as you and i are both coffee buffs let me say viet has some very good coffee as growing conditions and soil......

Could it be the residue of Agent Orange adds to the flavour?

As for Vietnam, I agree with most of the comments.... it remains, for me, as a back up plan for when Thai Immigration finally outdo themselves with ridiculous rules and I scream 'get me outta here!' Cambodia and Da Phils are similarly on the list, but I have yet to find a replacement for Thailand.

21 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Could it be the residue of Agent Orange adds to the flavour?

As for Vietnam, I agree with most of the comments.... it remains, for me, as a back up plan for when Thai Immigration finally outdo themselves with ridiculous rules and I scream 'get me outta here!' Cambodia and Da Phils are similarly on the list, but I have yet to find a replacement for Thailand.

Out of interest, could you tell me what Thai immigration would have to impose on foreigners in order for you to decide they have finally "outdone themselves?" 

Many here are so used to being compliant with EVERYTHING imposed upon them that they fail to see other options.  Yes, the boiling frog scenario. 

12 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Out of interest, could you tell me what Thai immigration would have to impose on foreigners in order for you to decide they have finally "outdone themselves?" 

Many here are so used to being compliant with EVERYTHING imposed upon them that they fail to see other options.  Yes, the boiling frog scenario. 

There have been no changes for me from Immigration since 2005 and I think many are the same.  Normal expat behavior would preclude any Immigration changes.  Move to Thailand 20 years ago open a bank account and go to Immigration once a year.  No change.  The only possible change I see on the horizon is health insurance and what prudent old man would not already have health insurance?    

52 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

There have been no changes for me from Immigration since 2005 and I think many are the same.  Normal expat behavior would preclude any Immigration changes.  Move to Thailand 20 years ago open a bank account and go to Immigration once a year.  No change.  The only possible change I see on the horizon is health insurance and what prudent old man would not already have health insurance?    

There you go again, posting about "me me me and 20 years ago." 

How relevant is that information to the new retirees coming through, and future retirees considering Thailand?

Also, you conveniently left out the part about the longer seasoning of 800k, and the untouchable 400k until you decide to leave Thailand, or die. 

As far as insurance is concerned, how many will qualify with pre-existing conditions, and at an older age, the premiums will be rather cost prohibitive.  Put 2 and 2 together and most expats will have an expensive "junk policy" that covers next to nothing, just so they can qualify for a retirement visa and remain, or immigrate, to Thailand.

The writing is on the wall.

Thailand will soon be closed for business for retirees.

1 hour ago, KhunHeineken said:

How relevant is that information to the new retirees coming through, and future retirees considering Thailand?

Also, you conveniently left out the part about the longer seasoning of 800k, and the untouchable 400k until you decide to leave Thailand, or die. 

As far as insurance is concerned, how many will qualify with pre-existing conditions, and at an older age, the premiums will be rather cost prohibitive.  Put 2 and 2 together and most expats will have an expensive "junk policy" that covers next to nothing, just so they can qualify for a retirement visa and remain, or immigrate, to Thailand.

Agreed, they are slowly forcing us out. The ever changing regs leave us unable to plan for a secure retirement here. Though, this being Thailand, I suspect we will be able to stay.... so long as we have money.

No country for old men who cannot even qualify for medical insurance.

Wait till their economy crashes again and they need big Daddy Farang to bail em out as in 1997.

The writing is on the wall in flashing neon.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

wasnt quite sure how to add this but regarding vietnam coffee heres the hcm boutique roaster barista shop i visited .  LM GS3

11 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall about the policies here, or the culture, some guy who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any time, study, or focus on the issue at hand, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or "maybe you should leave", or "it's not fair", or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Granted yours is a bit more creative and thoughtful.

Why? Because I have some issues with the place, I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful thing to be blessed with, it is not something most of us enjoy. The fact that I complain does not mean I do not love Thailand, my lifestyle, and most of the Thai people. I have a good life here. But, I do have some issues with the place, as most do, and I do not like the government, and there are some things I would like to see improved. Do you not see any room for improvement? I should leave because I complain? 

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not entitled to complain, or voice my opinions? Half of the posts on this forum are complaints. What is wrong with that? Don't we need someplace to vent? Why the sensitivity? Why such thin skin? T

What does that have to do with Pattaya vs Da Nang?

On 7/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, CNXexpat said:

I checked some FB estate groups and saw that it´s MUCH more expensive a nice house in Da Nang, nearly the double price than Thailand. I found nothing nice below 1,000 USD. 

Plenty of houses around at $450/month, you just didn't look very hard.

Archived