Pattaya Versus DaNang and the winner is?

Destiny1990

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

It's been debated on many threads on TV, so I will not start another debate on it, but, with 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, paying next to nothing in interest, just to qualify for an extension, it's costing you a lot more than 1900 baht, and a lot more than $400USD.

No, it isn't.

My 800kB earns 2.5% tax-free here. If it wasn't here it would be on deposit in the UK earning slightly less than that, also tax-free. Why? Because I like to have cash on deposit as well as other types of investments. I also have other deposits both here and elsewhere that pay much less than 2.5%, and I am fine with that also, and those deposits are entirely optional and have nothing to do with my visa.

When I think that my 800kB here was transferred at over 55B/1GBP compared to the current rate of about 39B/1GBP, I have actually done pretty well on it. And if I take into account the interest of up to 4% on it that I was getting a few years ago here I have done even better.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Like I said, it's been debated here, many times.

There are financial institutions, other than banks, that could be making your money work a lot harder for you, but by choosing the 800k method, it has to be a Thai bank, which pays very little.

I factor the losses of being forced to deposit 800k into a Thai bank into the the cost of the visa.

I agree that those who moved 800k for this purpose, several years ago, have seen the value of their 800k increase, when compared to some currencies.  The problem is, you can't use most of it for any purpose other than to show a letter to immigration once a year, so you can get next year's extension, so, on that basis, most of the money becomes worthless.

As said, there is a high cost to pay for a retirement visa / extension. way past 1900 baht.   

agree. i did the 65k baht / month transfer from abroad but 1 year worth of bank international transfer fees simply not worth the diminishing returns thailand has to offer.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, atyclb said:

if you can live without thailands massive bar girl/gogo industry danang is the winner hands down.  clean fresh air, better climate, great beaches, airport 10 minutes away, tons of restaurants, thai food also. good pizza and italian food. upscale hotels if you want.  big open unobstructed wide sidewalks on beach peninsula. and much of city. walk, bicycle easy. no rabid dogs. never seen a cop on the road extorting anyone. cost of living less, beer at least 50% less if thats your thing. excellent 7 bridges craft beer made in danang. relative scamming/cheating by locals tiny compared to thailand. great coffee abounds and a thriving barista espresso italian style industry.  and surfing though not world class like indo or sri lanka but much more consistent than thailand, far from world class.

Da Nang is 36.2% more expensive than Rayong   https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/da-nang-c5321/rayong-c5268  

Rent Prices in Da Nang are 83.09% higher than in Rayong

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Vietnam&city1=Rayong&city2=Da+Nang&tracking=getDispatchComparison

My biggest fear is health care as I understand from my friends who live in Vietnam that they have to go to Thailand or Singapore if they have any major health problem.  

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Da Nang is 36.2% more expensive than Rayong   https://www.mylifeelsewhere.com/cost-of-living/da-nang-c5321/rayong-c5268  

Rent Prices in Da Nang are 83.09% higher than in Rayong

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=Vietnam&city1=Rayong&city2=Da+Nang&tracking=getDispatchComparison

My biggest fear is health care as I understand from my friends who live in Vietnam that they have to go to Thailand or Singapore if they have any major health problem.  

rayong is not a major city but da nang is. sure rent prices in rayon are less than wireless road in bangkok also

what kind of medical care are you concerned about.  ho chi min and hanoi have international class hospitals and many european doctors as well as locals. what procedure or technology are you concerned about?  i already choose viet dentist over any thai dentist i have used and based on expertise and quality not lower price.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, atyclb said:

rayong is not a major city but da nang is. sure rent prices in rayon are less than wireless road in bangkok also

what kind of medical care are you concerned about.  ho chi min and hanoi have international class hospitals and many european doctors as well as locals. what procedure or technology are you concerned about?  i already choose viet dentist over any thai dentist i have used and based on expertise and quality not lower price.

CABG surgery and my hospital in Thailand direct bills VA medical payments.  Having lived in both DaNang and Rayong seems to me they are more alike than DaNang and Pattaya.  DaNang is nothing like Bangkok and Wireless road.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

CABG surgery and my hospital in Thailand direct bills VA medical payments.  Having lived in both DaNang and Rayong seems to me they are more alike than DaNang and Pattaya.  DaNang is nothing like Bangkok and Wireless road.  

i can understand your wanting to be close to the hospital that knows you and has treated you.

does the va reimburse for vietnam medical care or just thailand?

On 6/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, KhunHeineken said:

You need to stop thinking about Thailand's visa system.  Vietnam is a lot easier. 

You can make your own visa run.  Fly out and fly back, or, drive, or get a private driver, or get a bus, or ride etc to a land boarder, and come straight back in.

You have been able to extend a 3 month multi entry tourist visa, 3 times, inside Vietnam, for a long time.  Think of entering Thailand on a 2 month tourist visa, and being allowed to extend it 6 times, before you have to do a visa run, that's what Vietnam offers, but with a 3 month visa, extended 3 times. 

Where the difference is, there is no BS from immigration about how you must be working illegally, and which boarders are "friendly" and how many stamps or visas you have in your passport, if you can speak some Thai or not, and all of that grief that Thailand gives people. 

Vietnam's visa system is easy and cheap.

i have pain, i rather pay another 20k baht over walking 1km or standing 30 minutes

Edited by brokenbone
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, atyclb said:

i can understand your wanting to be close to the hospital that knows you and has treated you.

does the va reimburse for vietnam medical care or just thailand?

I don't know.  Would be ironic as I'm a disabled Vietnam vet.  Not that I believe in Karma but that'd be really tempting fate.  

4 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't know.  Would be ironic as I'm a disabled Vietnam vet.  Not that I believe in Karma but that'd be really tempting fate.  

Most will simply go back their home country  in case of a severe illness. for a broken leg surely a thai and a Vietnam hospital can fix it!

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Most will simply go back their home country  in case of a severe illness. for a broken leg surely a thai and a Vietnam hospital can fix it!

Not to Australia if your out more than 5 years you lose 100% of medicare entitlement and why do you assume all severe illness allows you to physically get on a plane. Countless conditions need top level care just to survive short term 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, atyclb said:

if you can live without thailands massive bar girl/gogo industry danang is the winner hands down.  clean fresh air, better climate, great beaches, airport 10 minutes away, tons of restaurants, thai food also. good pizza and italian food. upscale hotels if you want.  big open unobstructed wide sidewalks on beach peninsula. and much of city. walk, bicycle easy. no rabid dogs. never seen a cop on the road extorting anyone. cost of living less, beer at least 50% less if thats your thing. excellent 7 bridges craft beer made in danang. relative scamming/cheating by locals tiny compared to thailand. great coffee abounds and a thriving barista espresso italian style industry.  and surfing though not world class like indo or sri lanka but much more consistent than thailand, far from world class.

It does sound good, but then the idyllic image gets shredded to strips by the thought of Russians and Chinese herding around. And the nagging thought in the back of the head of being in a communist country.

Now, if they were to properly align with the US & West and get rid of all the aforementioned - I'd be there scouting the area. The free trade agreement they are about to sign with EU is a good sign. Some small glimmer of hope.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm paying $15/night for a small condo in Da Nang 500m from My Khe beach with kitchenette, terrace beach view (inc utils). Monthly rent is 1/2 that (plus utils). Bus from the airport costs 25c.

Doesn't seem more expensive than Thailand to me.      

There are many places in Pattaya for less then 15 bucks a night.

So you rented a cheap condo ( let's see some photos) and took the bus ( probably no air con). Hardly accurate examples of price comparisons....

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm paying $15/night for a small condo in Da Nang 500m from My Khe beach with kitchenette, terrace beach view (inc utils). Monthly rent is 1/2 that (plus utils). Bus from the airport costs 25c.

Doesn't seem more expensive than Thailand to me.      

if you ride a motorbike i suggest renting one there. it is great to cruise around beach side, cross the dragon bridge, have a look downtown. nice restaurants, coffee shops, etc.  beach side as u know is more relaxed.  for shopping check out  lottemart . ,  mega mart,  there is also a big c but not as organized as the other 2.

when you cross the dragon bridge to the beach side make a u turn to the right service road. thers several nice restaurants there that stay open later then many others. have english menus also

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So there I am having a heart attack and stroke and have a 4 hour window to start surgery.  What do I do?  Quite common in my experience.  

14 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

So there I am having a heart attack and stroke and have a 4 hour window to start surgery.  What do I do?  Quite common in my experience.  

And therefore you Choose Pattaya over DaNang ??

My friend got a heart attack in Thailand and his doctors started to negotiate the price of the operation with my friend before they did anything..

250 k he pay and they screwed it even up one month later the hospital said we need to do it operate it again..Good luck to you !

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

And therefore you Choose Pattaya over DaNang ??

My friend got a heart attack in Thailand and his doctors started to negotiate the price of the operation with my friend before they did anything..

250 k he pay and they screwed it even up one month later the hospital said we need to do it operate it again..Good luck to you !

Heart attack BDMS hospital.  From street to ICU 5 minutes, hooked up and started work in 10 minutes after asking my wife if she would guarantee payment. Now I'm pre registered and the hospital (not BDMS) has agreed to direct bill VA for any services connected with my heart.  Notice the difference between my post and yours?   I never quote hearsay, you'll only hear about my experiences which I can vouch for 100% because I was there.  

I did ask you a question as you implied if sick take a flight home.  In the overwhelming majority of cases it is not possible and if your in Vietnam you will pay cash at a premium for substandard care/compared to Thailand.  Comment on that with your own experiences if you can.  If not who wants to hear rumors or hearsay.  Just the facts as it may be a life or death decision.   

Edited by marcusarelus

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Heart attack BDMS hospital.  From street to ICU 5 minutes, hooked up and started work in 10 minutes after asking my wife if she would guarantee payment. Now I'm pre registered and the hospital (not BDMS) has agreed to direct bill VA for any services connected with my heart.  Notice the difference between my post and yours?   I never quote hearsay, you'll only hear about my experiences which I can vouch for 100% because I was there.  

I did ask you a question as you implied if sick take a flight home.  In the overwhelming majority of cases it is not possible and if your in Vietnam you will pay cash at a premium for substandard care/compared to Thailand.  Comment on that with your own experiences if you can.  If not who wants to hear rumors or hearsay.  Just the facts as it may be a life or death decision.   

in your case i'd cannot disagree with you wanting to be in pattaya close to the cath lab.  do you avoid travel out of the same concern?  usually after a cabg the vessels they replaced are quite good and unless there is some other stuff going on to accelerate the new vessels closing off it should last for a while.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

We are looking at prices, food, visas beaches ,night life, tourist friendly stray dogs..

Maybe you can make an hospital comparison thread here somewhere.

Even the Bumrunrad hospital hardly English speakers there except the cashiers. I dont think it matters a Vietnam or a Thai hospital and not interested in either one i dont base a relocation on hospitals.. 

Edited by Destiny1990

3 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

We are looking at prices, food, visas beaches ,night life, tourist friendly stray dogs..

Maybe you can make an hospital comparison thread here somewhere.

Even the Bumrunrad hospital hardly English speakers there except the cashiers. I dont think it matters a Vietnam or a Thai hospital and not interested in either one i dont base a relocation on hospitals.. 

The topic is Pattaya vs Danang.  Certainly health care is relevant.  Nonsense about English speakers at Thai good private hospitals.  I've been provided with an interpreter if the doctor was unsure of his English at BDMS hospitals but most nurses and doctors spoke English fine.  It is my understand that at many hospitals in Vietnam patients have to share beds is that true? 

50 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The topic is Pattaya vs Danang.  Certainly health care is relevant.  Nonsense about English speakers at Thai good private hospitals.  I've been provided with an interpreter if the doctor was unsure of his English at BDMS hospitals but most nurses and doctors spoke English fine.  It is my understand that at many hospitals in Vietnam patients have to share beds is that true? 

I dunno about shared beds but you seem to be the hospital expert here.

I do know that If i had a weak health situation and often in need of  complex specialized hospital services then i would never choose Thailand or Vietnam as my Residence. Even well of Thais go to England or Singapore for medical.

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There are many places in Pattaya for less then 15 bucks a night.

So you rented a cheap condo ( let's see some photos) and took the bus ( probably no air con). Hardly accurate examples of price comparisons....

I reckon Britman has found a good deal.

Pattaya is a big place but really, the statement of many places under 15 US $ a night, which implies 14 $ as the next lowest step, 430 baht?

With a kitchenette and terrace and sea view.

Could possibly be done in pattaya but you would have to do some serious leg work.

So as you say there are " many" matching BM s description it should not be difficult for you to rattle off a few.

The majority of places would be higher priced.

I have 20 years experience of the place and have helped friends that want to go budget find somewhere decent at around 500/600 baht a night ( daily rates)

Monthly somewhat easier to match the place BM has described, although many of the budget places do not have a kitchenette.

Why is it that the same old gang criticise anyone that dares suggesting an alternative to Pattaya.

Britman is only going for a visa run, I and others will be interested to hear of his thoughts.

At least he is making constructive posts.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Not sure why you'd compare government hospitals in Vietnam with private ones in Thailand. The last occasion I went to a government hospital in Pattaya there were stray dogs roaming the car park and the corridors. Ironically, I was there for treatment after a dog bite.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, seasia said:

Why is it that the same old gang criticise anyone that dares suggesting an alternative to Pattaya.

Britman is only going for a visa run, I and others will be interested to hear of his thoughts.

At least he is making constructive posts.

Well, he never suggested anything.

He said he rented a cheap condo and a 25 cent bus.

Why is it some continually assume things from a post that do not exist?

Yes, I would like to hear an update from him about Danang.

Maybe some food, drink, girl experiences and overall quality of life.

Edited by bkk6060