Check your shoes! Baby snakes could be lurking inside!

rooster59

16 hours ago, Scutty said:

25 years in SE Asia and I have never had a snake in the house . That is quite a rare occurence and most likely for farmers living in the fields and jungles . Most unlikely in built up areas

I saw far more snakes when living in a mobaan in Udon Thani than I have since moving to a rural village. But like you say, never in the house.

I did have one in the house in Singapore when I was working there.

Well, *maybe* it's worse that finding a black widow spider and a scorpion when I lived in Las Vegas...

Regarding putting your shoes in a sealed plastic bin when you take them off -- do the shoes have a chance to dry out and not become stinky?

21 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

There's lots of scary critters lurking about in Thailand. Look what just landed near me! Urgh!20190427_193430-1.jpg

Pussy!

Hate to think how'd your react to a frigin male funnel web spider reared up on its back legs dripping venom from its centimetre long shiny black fangs !

Pussy!
Hate to think how'd your react to a frigin male funnel web spider reared up on its back legs dripping venom from its centimetre long shiny black fangs !

I've had many encounters with snakes. A cobra in my toilet I saw after taking a number 2. A 3 metre Burmese python in my backyard had just eaten a fully grown cat and my son plays out in the backyard and he was 3 years old then. Many encounters especially in the bathroom with giant centipedes coming up the flooded pipes. Scorpions on my trips out to Isaan. But to be honest the scarest encounter is walking around late at night in Bangkok citys side streets. Gangs of stray dogs barking, growling and nipping at you. That's scary!

Baby cobras are born with enough venom in a bite to kill a man, smaller quantity but much stronger in the potency. We had a hatching in our base camp on the Malacca Straights, caught about a dozen of the little blighters, about 3/16" in diameter but perfect replicas, and we all walked around very carefully for some time afterwards !

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Pussy!

15 shots in my High Power, make way for spray and pray.

14 hours ago, Saladin said:

It is a fallacy that snakes are more afraid of me than I am of them. I pray for all snakes to become extinct, preferably tomorrow. And don't give me the environmental arguments about how they are essential for the 'balance of nature'. New Zealand doesn't have any and gets on fine without them.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/80026544/venomous-snake-found-in-taranaki-could-actually-be-a-native-species-of-new-zealand

10 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Well, *maybe* it's worse that finding a black widow spider and a scorpion when I lived in Las Vegas...

Regarding putting your shoes in a sealed plastic bin when you take them off -- do the shoes have a chance to dry out and not become stinky?

Gee, I don't know. Please apply common sense and you should be fine.

Yeah look into you shoes, you could find a centipede too.

In Thailand you need to snake-proof and rodent-proof your house (snakes are looking for rodents): fill or seal any opening bigger than 0.5cm: holes in the garden, gaps and holes in the walls, around the basement, doors and plumbering, down your fence, etc (Use spray foam, and plastic mesh or steel mesh). Keep the grass short, remove piles of wood or junk and open containers where they could hide.  Cut the bushes or branches that are touching or going over the wall of your garden from outside.

Most snakes will go away before you see them, only vipers are standing still like "landmines".

Most accidents happens when people try to kill or to catch a snake. If you know it's harmless just sweep it with a long broom, else safely sprinkle them with water to force them to flee.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:10 AM, TrueOrNothing said:

Yeah look into you shoes, you could find a centipede too.

In Thailand you need to snake-proof and rodent-proof your house (snakes are looking for rodents): fill or seal any opening bigger than 0.5cm: holes in the garden, gaps and holes in the walls, around the basement, doors and plumbering, down your fence, etc (Use spray foam, and plastic mesh or steel mesh). Keep the grass short, remove piles of wood or junk and open containers where they could hide.  Cut the bushes or branches that are touching or going over the wall of your garden from outside.

Most snakes will go away before you see them, only vipers are standing still like "landmines".

Most accidents happens when people try to kill or to catch a snake. If you know it's harmless just sweep it with a long broom, else safely sprinkle them with water to force them to flee.

How do you "safely" sprinkle them with water? By "sprinkle" do you mean full blast garden hose?

• 4 months later...

Archived