Check your shoes! Baby snakes could be lurking inside!

rooster59

Check your shoes! Baby snakes could be lurking inside!

snake.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Thais have been urged to check their footwear after a baby cobra was found lurking in a child's shoe. 

The very hot weather in Thailand at the moment means that animals such as snakes are trying to find anywhere for a bit of cool shade. 

Jakchai Banyensakul went on Facebook to say it was lucky that his elder brother's child was not bitten by the baby cobra. 

Dad saw it in time. 

He warned people to watch out for snakes - even in their shoes!

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-27

Definitely a risk. Frogs like to sneak into my jogging shoes to hang out, so I suppose that's further incentive for the snakes to take refuge there. Hade a fairly large spitting cobra in our yard a week ago in Hua Hin. Spat at my wife, but luckily it only got on her hand. The week before that a neighbor was bitten (probably by the same snake) and had to spend several days in the hospital.

22 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have a snake dog.  She is worth every penny of her food and upkeep.  Found two Malayan Pit Vipers this week.  She has a snake bark and she points till I tell her to back off and I take care of the snake. 

malayan-pit-viper.jpg

how do you "take care" of ze snake?

44 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have a snake dog.  She is worth every penny of her food and upkeep.  Found two Malayan Pit Vipers this week.  She has a snake bark and she points till I tell her to back off and I take care of the snake. 

malayan-pit-viper.jpg

I thought you said you lived in a condo in Bangna....

Just 3 days ago I had a baby snake in my kitchen and I discovered it just after showering. I called my wife for help and in came my neighbours to see what all the fuss was about. Talk about red faced, me wrapped in a towel 2 sizes to small.

Anyway they caught and killed it by repeatedly beating it with a metal mop handle. Then after they'd eyed up the contents of my downstairs rooms, they went back to sit on their doorsteps.

2 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Ready made snakeskin shoes then ..

Easy fix. Just get a large plastic storage tub with a top that snaps shut and have everyone place their shoes in it when they get home and ensure the top is secure. No more "anything" in your shoes. 

Also, it's wise to place moth balls around the outside of your home as it deters snakes, spiders and other "critters". Placing them in Mason jars and punching holes in the top will make them last longer but it's a quick and easy thing to do to reduce the number of times you need to encounter something harmful in your home. 

Easy fix. Just get a large plastic storage tub with a top that snaps shut and have everyone place their shoes in it when they get home and ensure the top is secure. No more "anything" in your shoes. 

Also, it's wise to place moth balls around the outside of your home as it deters snakes, spiders and other "critters". Placing them in Mason jars and punching holes in the top will make them last longer but it's a quick and easy thing to do to reduce the number of times you need to encounter something harmful in your home. 

Moth balls that's a new one. I was told to put lemons next to the door. I also used plasticine to seal all the tiny gaps in the walls and entrances. Still every year I seem to have a close encounter with a snake. Inside and outside the house. The thing to remember is they won't bite you unless you step on them. Snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. Saying that though someone down my street last year had one slithering around upstairs outside their bedroom.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Mothballs are poison.  I put a bunch in the attic and had to pay a guy with a gas mask to remove them.  Think twice.  Ask the wife to smell before applying.  

Well you just might have put far too many in your attic. ???? Snakes and other critters have a far better sense of smelling that us humanoids. It doesn't take many to dissuade them yet it won't bother humans at all. 

26 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Moth balls that's a new one. I was told to put lemons next to the door. I also used plasticine to seal all the tiny gaps in the walls and entrances. Still every year I seem to have a close encounter with a snake. Inside and outside the house. The thing to remember is they won't bite you unless you step on them. Snakes are more scared of you than you are of them. Saying that though someone down my street last year had one slithering around upstairs outside their bedroom.

Take a peek at what Dr. Google says about it. It's a really good fix for snakes and spiders. Also, try spraying insect repellant around your floor boards and especially around the outside of your doors and windows. It'll help immensely.

2 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Well you just might have put far too many in your attic. ???? Snakes and other critters have a far better sense of smelling that us humanoids. It doesn't take many to dissuade them yet it won't bother humans at all. 

Moth balls keeping snakes away is a well-known myth, not to mention they're extremely toxic.

1 hour ago, Myran said:

Moth balls keeping snakes away is a well-known myth, not to mention they're extremely toxic.

It may be a myth for some and others swear by it. There are companies that sell snake repellent and it sounds like the best chemicals are Cedar Oil, Sulfur, Cinnamon Oil, Clove Oil. Not sure if those products are sold in Thailand but most likely are. Ortho has a good product (Snake B Gone). There are actually solar-powered snake repellents, as well, which work by emitting soil-penetrating sonic pulses that chase off a range of vermin, including snakes. That would work well in sunny Thailand. 

6 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Just 3 days ago I had a baby snake in my kitchen and I discovered it just after showering. I called my wife for help and in came my neighbours to see what all the fuss was about. Talk about red faced, me wrapped in a towel 2 sizes to small.

Anyway they caught and killed it by repeatedly beating it with a metal mop handle. Then after they'd eyed up the contents of my downstairs rooms, they went back to sit on their doorsteps.

Snakes are an important part of the environment. Leave them alone and they go away.

And I know spitting cobras and pit vipers are deadly. Check out how many people die and assess the risk - minimal.

I get pythons (mostly reticulated but some Burmese) and lots of very large rat snakes.

And others I have not identified. But I do as I did in outback Australia where truly venomous snakes roam.

Ignore them. Leave them alone and they go home, wagging their tails behind them.

Apologies to Enid Blynton

7 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Snakes are an important part of the environment. Leave them alone and they go away.

And I know spitting cobras and pit vipers are deadly. Check out how many people die and assess the risk - minimal.

I get pythons (mostly reticulated but some Burmese) and lots of very large rat snakes.

And others I have not identified. But I do as I did in outback Australia where truly venomous snakes roam.

Ignore them. Leave them alone and they go home, wagging their tails behind them.

Apologies to Enid Blynton

Do you have young children and dogs that play outside with the Malayan pit vipers and King cobras? 

15 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Call the snake guy if have time if not I pretend I am a Saudi. 

I worked on farms in Saudi during the 1980's and 90's.    The farms were located in desert, sand / black stones and black stone hills / ancient wadis, kilometres from anywhere.     The first farm I was at used to have desert foxes, feral cats and other wildlife.  

A major pest control company in Jeddah decided it didn't like to kill the stray dogs it rounded up so, they blow darted them, drove them 70km out of town and dumped the unconscious dogs near to the farm.

Goodbye wildlife hello snakes and scorpions.    The snakes found ways in to the nice cool chicken houses and would sleep in the nest boxes.

The farm had a Pakistani snake catcher who would take care of the snakes, and sometimes give them to Thai staff who would eat them.

Some snakes, snake eggs, hatching snake eggs, scorpions and camel spiders I would put in formalin and, when on leave take them to the UK and present them to my daughters school.

My children lived for a year or so in Saudi and visited often, they learnt from a young age to always empty shoes out or, better still, leave them in the house but still look inside them just in case.   With clothes always shake them out before putting on.

I spent many years in farming here in Thailand, only bitten once by a snake but numerous spider and other insect bites.    One farm found a 220kg python which duly ended up in the market for meat.

I have lived / worked in South America, Saudi, Kuwait, Asia etc. since the 1970's and still check my clothes everyday.

7 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Moth balls are good at keeping cats away from your property.

+1.....Right on Sir,

I scatter them around the car port on a regular basis to stop the cats spraying my wheels. It also helps stop dogs in town spraying them as some are crushed into the treads........

14 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

It is a fallacy that snakes are more afraid of me than I am of them. I pray for all snakes to become extinct, preferably tomorrow. And don't give me the environmental arguments about how they are essential for the 'balance of nature'. New Zealand doesn't have any and gets on fine without them.

Archived