Elon Musk to face defamation lawsuit for calling Thai cave rescuer “pedo guy”

rooster59

2 hours ago, connda said:

I wonder how effective issuing an Interpol Red Notice will be.

What relevance does Interpol have?

This is a U.S. civil lawsuit and there's no evasion from legal authorities by the defendant Musk, ie., from an arrest warrant or criminal conviction.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A number of troll posts have been removed, along with the replies, one or two of which were actually quite good.

Please report such posts, and do not respond to them.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

All over this. Can't you take a little criticism Elon?

Except it wasn't just criticism, it has pejorative overtones. When asked by CNN to comment there was no need for the derogatory words - especially when talking about a fellow volunteer, as Musk essentially was. If he told Richard Harris or Richard Stanton to stick their ideas where it hurts we would all be horrified. 

Bear in mind Richard Stanton was in email contact with Musk encouraging him to continue working on the Sub idea. Therefore Vern's views were not universally shared. 

Musk overacted, but i can honestly understand why he was wound up.   

No question Musk is an arrogant fool. He does not seem to have much common sense, for a guy as bright as he is. Perhaps it is just dumb hubris? Some of the stuff he says is a bit much. For him to react like he did, after a very experienced and well respected cave diver, who was very familiar with the cave in question, criticized his ridiculous submarine plan, was foolish, inane, juvenile, thin skinned, and just ignorant. He showed the world how petty and hateful he really is. 

Sometimes, when you are in such a comfortable and high profile position, it is best to let things go. Water off a ducks back. Not Musk style I suppose. 

Personally, I hope Musk gets hammered. I doubt that will happen.

The US justice system is rigged in favor of those who have the most to spend on a legal team, usually. Let us hope for an exception. Musk deserves that. From everything I hear Unsworth is a stand up guy, who is well liked and respected. 

I dont like Elon either. Ill give him credit. He is a genious and a visionary and makes things happen to improve the current and future world. But he talks ans acts like a child at the same time. Just because yiu are incredibly smart and a great visionary doesn't excuse child level behavior. Id be open to getting a tesla car but thats not to support him its for use sometimes for fuel savings only ae tesla cars have the longest electric ranges and the best all electric cars you can buy right now. Thats why im looking at getting the s560e next yr for the hybrid ability to turn on all electric mode for just around bkk. For example if go siam paragon use electric mode and charge at their charging station in parking garage. Just sucks it only gets 50 km on a charge using all electric as id like to get more from it maybe like say 200km or so with plug in charging and charging from using the gas engine. 

9 minutes ago, brian2f2f said:

<Snip> I dont like Elon either. Ill give him credit. He is a genious and a visionary and makes things happen to improve the current and future world. But he talks ans acts like a child at the same time. Just because yiu are incredibly smart and a great visionary doesn't excuse child level behavior. 

I despise Musk for this one act alone. He reminds me of the fictional "Sheldon" in The Big Bang Theory.  Everything is me,me,me without any concern for others' feelings however generous the others may be.????

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The US justice system is rigged in favor of those who have the most to spend on a legal team, usually.

It hasn't worked in his favour in getting the case thrown out, has it. How someone can have so much money and at the same time be an arrogant idiot is rather sad. What he accused the 'caveman' of would get him in very serious trouble anywhere in the world. Why was he too stupid to know that.

i see the whole thing as mutual bi-lateral bar room banter that got publicity. because musk has a lot of money he is a target for lawsuit.  if it were me and musk or anyone publicly called me a pedo i would smile then move on and get on my life.

1 minute ago, atyclb said:

i see the whole thing as mutual bi-lateral bar room banter that got publicity. because musk has a lot of money he is a target for lawsuit.  if it were me and musk or anyone publicly called me a pedo i would smile then move on and get on my life.

So ..you are ok to be called  a Rapist and Paedo then ?

3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Looks like Vern Isn't going to have to worry about money ever again, and quite deservedly so. 

Mr. Musk should grow up and learn to keep his shitty mouth shut, and hopefully the financial hit he takes will commence that process.

Well, last I read, Vern was only going for £75000.  Extremely reasonable, and probably less than he could (if that figure is still current).  

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It hasn't worked in his favour in getting the case thrown out, has it. How someone can have so much money and at the same time be an arrogant idiot is rather sad. What he accused the 'caveman' of would get him in very serious trouble anywhere in the world. Why was he too stupid to know that.

Arrogance. Hubris. Insularity. Ivory tower complex. Silliness. Lack of common sense. A personality deficit. A lack of social skills. He is obviously not dumb. But seems to possess little in the way of "street smarts". Why else?

Bad advice?

No advice?

Surrounded by only sycophants?

One can only guess. 

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

This is a U.S. civil lawsuit

Just as well for Musk, then, that this isn't a Thai criminal defamation lawsuit - which might have resulted in him being banged up in the Bangkok Hilton for an exceedingly long stretch!

3 hours ago, racket said:

I hope Musk wins and that Unsworth ends up paying Elon for the stupid comments he made. That would be really fun to see! 

Apart from being fun to see, what logical reason do you have for wanting Musk to win? Or did you post simply to get a reaction?

Since Musk is rich and Unsworth is not, Musk will spend him into the ground with motions of all kinds and, if he loses, appeals, possibly even countersuits.  Unsworth can't win against a pile of cash like Musk's.  Although Musk did defame him, the suit is ill-considered as his lawyer should have advised him.

21 minutes ago, Dice Man said:
24 minutes ago, atyclb said:

So ..you are ok to be called  a Rapist and Paedo then ?

in the context of what i consider escalating bar room banter, yes absolutely no problem for me.

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

I wonder why he said in the first place he knew he would get in trouble once he said it

mr. musk seems to have some trouble with substance abuse, resulting in strange twitterings.

see: funding secured 420

see: 500k production

he recently paid a fine of $20 million, and tesla also paid a $20m fine for musk releasing company data designed to affect the stock price.

was under court order to have tesla lawyers review his twoots before twattering, but he was unable to control himself.  yet another sec court case just concluded.

I don't get this.  Unsworth insults Musk after trying to assist, then Musk has to pay Unsworth for retaliating?

Why is Unsworth insinuating that Musk takes long metallic objects up his rear?  Is that too not a case for character defamation, or is Musk just not that petty to take it to court and let other peoples money pay for the legal teams?

If I recall, it was the rescue team that gave the Musk team the dimensions in which such a device must be capable of navigating.  Musk working to supplied poor specifications is not a failure on his teams part.

With what little I've seen, I'm leaning a little to the Musk side of the story, but then again, a legal case for calling names? 

I should make myself a public person then go after every kid that ever called me a name in the school yard.  I think I should go for a tenner off each of them.

29 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Since Musk is rich and Unsworth is not, Musk will spend him into the ground with motions of all kinds and, if he loses, appeals, possibly even countersuits.  Unsworth can't win against a pile of cash like Musk's.  Although Musk did defame him, the suit is ill-considered as his lawyer should have advised him.

What you say seems worthy of note but the issue about the lawyer advising him is open to argument. Yes perhaps he should have advised him differently but like all lawyers isn't it their foremost intention to make money for themselves so a long drawn out litigious case is beneficial to them ?

3 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If they had something against him they would have made him stop his lawsuit already before losing this.

Why is that so unbelieveable that unsworth is just another boring european that didn't do anything too bad in his life?? emoji848.png

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

So to be "interesting"you have to do "bad" things?

Archived