Visa exemption question

Hi just needed to ask a question about back to back visa exemption entry. 

I'm a UK citizen and I normally apply for non imm O visa based on marriage. I had to come over urgently for 3 weeks in January for a funeral for my brother in law so I entered using a visa exemption.  I came again on 22 March on a VE as I was leaving on 12 April for a trip with my wife to the uk. I'll be back in Thailand on 5 May but my flight back to the UK is on 9 June which 35 days. Can I just take a quick trip to Lao before the 30 days to cover this? 

I've had a clean record for about 10 or 11 years at immigration until last year. Originally my trip to the UK with my wife was planned for the end of August and all the dates worked for a VE but her sister died suddenly so it was cancelled and in all the chaos I never gave it a thought until I checked in at the airport and they told me I'd overstayed.

4 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Can I just take a quick trip to Lao before the 30 days to cover this? 

You don’t need to do a visa run. You can apply for a 30 day extension at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You don’t need to do a visa run. You can apply for a 30 day extension at your local immigration office for 1,900 baht.

Thanks.  Fortunately there's an immigration office near my wife's office so that shouldn't be a problem. I might still do a trip to Lao though as I haven't been for a while and I quite like it. 

3 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Thanks.  Fortunately there's an immigration office near my wife's office so that shouldn't be a problem. I might still do a trip to Lao though as I haven't been for a while and I quite like it. 

Vientiane Consulate now requires that you make an online appointment prior to your visit or you will not be let inside.   It make take as long as three weeks to get an appointment.   No appointment is needed at Savannakhet. 

3 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

Vientiane Consulate now requires that you make an online appointment prior to your visit or you will not be let inside.   It make take as long as three weeks to get an appointment.   No appointment is needed at Savannakhet. 

I was only thinking of a couple of nights. That hasn't been a problem before but thanks for that. I'll check it out if I decide to go.

23 minutes ago, kimamey said:

If you do go to Laos you don’t need to get a visa, you could re-enter by land using visa exemption for another 30 days.

Whenever you enter as a tourist it would be worth carrying a copy of your marriage certificate, wife’s ID and Tabian Baan — in case the IO starts questioning the reason you enter so often.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If you do go to Laos you don’t need to get a visa, you could re-enter by land using visa exemption for another 30 days.

Whenever you enter as a tourist it would be worth carrying a copy of your marriage certificate, wife’s ID and Tabian Baan — in case the IO starts questioning the reason you enter so often.

A good point. If I were to go to Lao it would be with my wife but I have a copy of my marriage certificate wroth me in my carry on bag. 

As for the visa I've been a few times for a maximum of 3 days which used to be the limit without a visa application. I know people that do visa runs and just go over the border and come straight back again but that doesn't seem with it unless you're short of time. 

Entering Thailand I will have pictures of the 2 funerals and relevant flights to explain the short trips and frequent VEs. I doubt I'll need them but I like to be on the safe side. 

• Like 1