4th metv - fly to subvarnabhumi or get connection and cross by land?

Hi

I arrived back in my home country yesterday from Thailand and planning to go back in two weeks again. I have 3 back-to-back METVs in my passport and will be applying for a fourth. Granted I get another METV, I'm uncertain if I should just get a flight to Subvarnabhumi or get a connecting one to a neighbouring country to cross back in via land-border. I've heard stories of people being denied and send back where they came from in Subvarnabhumi, even though they came with a valid visa.
Thoughts?

You are going to get differing opinions on this. My own view is that some immigration officials will disagree with the decision of your home embassy to issue you back-to-back METVs, consider they have the right to overrule that decision, and might deny you entry. Although both having a visa, and travelling from home country are points in your favour, there have been rare cases of people denied entry at Suvarnabhumi in similar situations. You need to balance the small risk of denied entry, and the costs and hassle associated with that, against the extra cost and hassle involved in using a land crossing.

• Like 1

just as likely get issue with an metv as an setv

4 back to back with minimal time out country has risks .

For small amount of hassle you can fly to malaysia and come in by land boarder .

Getting hassle at swampy would be a total ballache and huge expense in flights .

Put in small amount of effort along with belt and braces approach and your reward is no drama entry .

Go with your own instincts as no one on here going know your exact history like you do or truly know how immigration at swampy going react, your own due diligence is your best friend not immigration advice from strangers on a forum ...

Edited by BuckBee
  • Like 1

You are correct that some people are being turned back at the airports in Thailand with valid Visas. I just heard of another case from a friend. All you can do is make sure they don't have the reasons to justify it. IE have the ticket out, the cash on you for support etc. 

Hard to be specific on who/why people are being rejected but certainly those with substantial prior time in Thailand are likely to be looked at and the type of Visa (or absence of it) may be relevant. 

The case I heard of was an ED Visa, and trying again at a land border was OK.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I don't think the problem you could have is the number of METV's you have in your passport. It is more a case of how you have used them.

If it appears you have been using them to live here some immigration officers will make a problem when you enter the country. 

• Like 2

I have 6 or 7 METVs in row.
I enter 5-8 times a year by Suvarnabhumi Airport without problems so far but mostly use the Fast Track lane which cost me 1200 Baht or enter by C-Class ticket.
And I avoid female IO

How do you arrange the 1200 baht fast track lane?

I'm in a similar situation- in October got a METV which just expired, and will be going to my home country for a few weeks and will (try to) get a new METV while there. I'm considering:

1. Take the risk and fly directly to BKK.

2. Fly to Hong Kong, then get another flight from there so if I get bounced it won't be a huge cost.

Another option would be to fly directly to Philippines, spend some time (and money!) there instead, then go to BKK later on.

P.S. Does paying for fast track (or flying business class) really improve your chances of getting in? I would assume yes, but would be nice to get a confirmation...

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Good question. What happens if you're denied entry? If coming from Hong Kong, Singapore or Malaysia; will you be sent back there, or to home country?

General policy is back there -  but probably allowed to choose another location that the air-carrier who brought you flies to (per recent reports).  Immigration could demand you return to your home-country, but I haven't seen this reported recently (years).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thailandjo said:

I enter 5-8 times a year by Suvarnabhumi Airport without problems so far but mostly use the Fast Track lane which cost me 1200 Baht or enter by C-Class ticket.

And I avoid female IO

How long to you stay per-entry, and how long out between entries? 

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
6 hours ago, thailandjo said:
And I avoid female IO

How do you arrange the 1200 baht fast track lane?

www.limousine.in.th

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

How long to you stay per-entry, and how long out between entries? 

In Thailand 4-8 weeks, sometimes only 1-2 weeks

Outside Thailand 1-2 weeks

Edited by thailandjo
  • Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, elviajero said:

It’s highly unlikely you’ll get denied entry with a METV.

This is not correct. They are denying METV's. They are not drawing a distinction between them and SETV's.

I would strongly advise the OP @Dusit99 to cross a land border despite the extra expense and hassle.

17 hours ago, JackThompson said:

General policy is back there -  but probably allowed to choose another location that the air-carrier who brought you flies to (per recent reports).  Immigration could demand you return to your home-country, but I haven't seen this reported recently (years).

Yes, the key thing is the carrier. The airline that brought you in takes you out. Many only fly to one destination from Bangkok. Also if you are denied, the initial contact will be the liaison staff working as intermediaries between you and the airline. They will only tell you what they want.

They cannot demand and don't demand you return to your passport-issuing country. e.g. if you flew in on Etihad on a UK passport, you would need to go back to Abu Dhabi on Etihad but from there you could fly from Abu Dhabi to KL. A phone to purchase tickets quickly will help in that situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

This is not correct. They are denying METV's. They are not drawing a distinction between them and SETV's.

I would strongly advise the OP @Dusit99 to cross a land border despite the extra expense and hassle.

I didn’t say they haven’t denied any METV holders. But the chances of being denied remain very small.

And the OP should be aware that there is no guarantee that they will not be denied entry at a land border either.

I am sure immigration will catch on to westerners not flying direct to Thailand and using a land borders. Someone will get pulled up sooner or later.

So much comes down to how OP has used his previous 3 METV entries, if they all been fast 1 day turn arounds, no real long time out of country between use it will be the usage style they have been targeting .

Only the OP really know how bad his passport usage going look, I see no point taking risk as it 100% fact that swampy and DM are making obvious effort at checking passport history and causing hassle (anyone who been in and out a lot over last decade and paid attention can see the current difference at the counters) .

The smarter person doesn't get any hassle as they do best avoid risk by renewing passports and using consulates/embassies and borders in a planned order for less chance of hassle .

• Like 1