Hello everyone , I,m off to issan to marry my lovely girlfriend in September , her house is in a little sad way , so she wants to demolish it and build new, to me it seems a waste , we can sell her home and  we can build on her 5 rai , she said she wants to have her excisting house in joint names , is this ok to do ,or would it be better to have the house in my name for some  security for me , or build the new house on the original/farm site and have it joint or in my name ,what a minefield , thanks for any reply

The land can't be in your name but you can protect any investment you make. See a lawyer and take out a mortgage over the land if the local land office will accept a foreign mortgage - some will, some won't, the lawyer can call them and enquire on your behalf.

If you are able to, basically you are asking your future wife to sign a document saying she owes you x amount of baht - secured against her land.  If she's genuine and the amount of the mortgage only covers your investment, she should be happy to do so.  If she won't, well if it was me, I would be thinking long and hard about her real intentions/marrying her.

As she already owns the land, you would have no legal claim on it should the marriage fail (different rules for assets obtained after marriage).

I also seem to remember that its better to wait until after your married to take the mortgage out - the lawyer should be able to advise on that.

Jeez mate. You are a potential lamb to the slaughter. If you dont even know you cant own a house here for christ sake do some homework.

There are reports on here everyday of blokes who have been rinsed dry from these <removed>. They can be perfect angels until they have pumped you for everything they can and then you will see their true colours. Please be aware also that she more than likely wont be satisfied after youve bought the house, given her gold etc then want to knuckle down to a "normal" life living within your means. She'll be off like a frog in a sock, or more to the point you will be as she will be the owner of your property. Not sure on ur circumstances but if shes from a bar ud be better off walking away now.

Slow your roll bro. Unless you have money you can afford to lose put the brakes on now. No reason u need to buy her a house just now. Rent a place for a year or 2 and see how things work out. If she doesnt like that stiff biccies. You'll know her true feelings and can walk away knowing u made the right choice. Now she is testing you. You also need to test her. After a few years if shes in it for the long haul buy a house. She would be accutely aware (even if your not) there are literally millions more fish in the sea in Thailand.

Isaan girl lol. I remember when I first came here proudly telling everyone I had an "isaan" girl. A genuine village girl, country girl haha. Until someone told me in Thai speak Isaan girl means low class, redneck etc. That is an unfair generalization and many good people here in the North but an Isaan girl from a bar is something akin to a prostitute back home from the housing projects. Forget any notios you have of the hardworking country girl, or pure virginal village princess. Mine turned out to be the village bike.

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

You are a potential lamb to the slaughter. If you dont even know you cant own a house here for Christ sake do some homework.

Many here should do homework. 

If OP officially marry's his lady he is entitled to 50% of the house value, whether he get's it or not depends mutual agreement.

OP cannot own land but he can get a lease or Thai usufruct arranged on it.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If OP officially marry's his lady he is entitled to 50% of the house value, whether he get's it or not depends mutual agreement.

I don't think that's correct. As far as I know. assets held before marriage are not included in settlement orders.

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

OP cannot own land but he can get a lease or Thai usufruct arranged on it.

Yes and a superficies for the house too.

18 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't think that's correct. As far as I know. assets held before marriage are not included in settlement orders.

My answer is from experience in relation to OP's post, her 5 rai he can get a lease or Thai usufruct.

If he builds a new house on her land he can get 50% of it's value if sold.

Thankyou guys for all your replys , I think I,ll wait until I,m married, she wants me to show money to the family at the wedding to say I can take care of her , this must be sin sod , she wants security for her family, I think I,ll  keep living in her house for awhile or get her to sell her house and rent for a few years and if  all goes well build on her land  with her money and a small mortgage as mentioned in a post , PS she,s not an issan bar only a lovely mother to three lovely girls and a wonderfull family 

13181212_1584242971904678_401115945_n.jpg

10 hours ago, Cabrinha switchblade said:

I think I,ll wait until I,m married, she wants me to show money to the family at the wedding to say I can take care of her , this must be sin sod

Good thinking, time spent together is important at the early stages within a Thai relationship.

Just show your western ATM cards & credit card and buy your lady a nice wedding ring that should do it along with paying for family party.  

Goodluck.

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Good thinking, time spent together is important at the early stages within a Thai relationship.

Just show your western ATM cards & credit card and buy your lady a nice wedding ring that should do it along with paying for family party.  

Goodluck.

Thanks Kwasaki , the ring I,m giving her  is my mothers , whom she loves and the wedding party is being thrown by her sister who has a great location for the party on her farm , 

On 5/3/2019 at 2:33 AM, Cabrinha switchblade said:

she wants me to show money to the family at the wedding to say I can take care of her , this must be sin sod [...] mother to three lovely girls

If she has children or was married already there is no need to pay sin sod. You might of course decide to pay a smaller amount for her to make her look good, but don't be as stupid as many other foreigners and pay a million baht or something similar ????

Archived