2 month 800K THB seasoning on Retirement extension of stay renewal?

I have just been reading some of the Retirement extension reports from Chonburi Immigration (Jomtien) .. I will need to make my extension of stay around the beginning of Sept 2019.

I do not have the 800k THB in the bank yet.

What I plan to do is actually just put 26,000 US dollars in a dollar account with Bangkok bank. IS THIS OK ?? (this is the equivalent of more than 800,000 THB)

Does the money have to be in the bank for 3 months before I plan to file?

Or has the rule changed recently and now it's only 2 months for retirement extension renewals?

It used to be on your first extension you could "season" the money for 2 months prior to filing the extension? and have to have it in 3 months prior to renewal.

Has that changed now? Have they become more lenient on the rule and now it is 2 months for both 1st extension and every renewal after that?

Edited by likerdup1

I don't remember seeing a report this year where someone at Jomtien Immigration applied for an extension with only two months of seasoning.  Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the change was announced January 31 or February 1 and didn't go into effect until March 1.  Nearly everyone who has applied for an extension renewal up until today (April 30) would have already started their three month seasoning before the new 2-month seasoning was even announced.    

Someone did report that Nong Khai Immigration refused to do his extension because his funds were only seasoned for two not three months.  He was told to come back the next day.   

Jomtien immigration will accept a foreign currency account. Best to watch the exchange rates. The $26k is good today but it wouldn't be if the the rate dropped to 30.5 to the dollar.

It is 2 months before the date you apply for the extension now. The 60 days for the first extension no longer exists in the police order.

3 hours ago, SEtonal said:

I don't remember seeing a report this year where someone at Jomtien Immigration applied for an extension with only two months of seasoning.

They have been giving people a paper that shows the new 2 month rule so that should be a good indication that they will accept 2 months.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, from the home of CC said:

so, did you post for exercise?

No, I got my exercise at the beach earlier this evening.

Seriously though, what kind of question is that?

If I can get some reliable information here then it saves a trip to Immigration. Now I'm gonna have to get some real exercise and spend my time doing my own research to get correct info rather than trust a bunch of unconfirmed hearsay.

You are certainly free to go back and forth and type aimless nothingness if that's what you wish to do here.

Edited by likerdup1

1 minute ago, likerdup1 said:

No, I got my exercise at the beach earlier this evening.

Seriously though, what kind of question is that?

If I can get some reliable information here then it saves a trip to Immigration. Now I'm gonna have to get some real exercise and spend my time doing my own research to get correct info rather than trust a bunch of unconfirmed hearsay.

You are certainly free to go back and forth and type aimless nothingness if that's what you wish to do here.

I asked the question because in your original post you asked some questions. Then in a subsequent post you stated you get unconfirmed information from this site so you're going to go to immigration and ask them yourself. This was after ubonjoe answered your question directly about Jomtien, and where it comes to immigration questions in Thailand I've been guided very well for the last 12yrs by this moderator. I repeat, did you post for exercise?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

Although I agree that this forum often has third hand information or conjecture; but, it also has first hand reports of peoples' experience with Immigration (I just wish they would post which Immigration Office they had the experience as often this information is lacking).  As mentioned, I have found that the information provided by ubonjoe is usually accurate and can be relied upon.

It would be too easy to check accuracy of the reports. 

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe someone should drop by with the new rules ahead of their extension. Someone could just report to the Immigration hotline 1178, way in advance of an extension

Use a burner-phone, though - and wait a week or so so they don't know who it was - or who knows what hell you'd face for every extension thereafter.

12 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

It's a good start, but only helps much if you get the instructions from the person who will process your extension - not front-desk staff, who hand you the "official rules" from Bangkok, which will not include all the local office's extras (my experience, anyway).

Even with info direct from your desk, they may still add on new things with each attempt to submit your extension application.  This varies by desk, of course, with retirement generally more straightforward, at that location.

• Like 1

Use a burner-phone, though - and wait a week or so so they don't know who it was - or who knows what hell you'd face for every extension thereafter.

Yes use Skype or something to phone anonymously 1178. Completely grass the woman up, as many times as possible
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

so, did you post for exercise?

"I like Thaivisa but this forum is full of a lot of hearsay".

How can you say that? Any help or advice from UbonJoe is certainly not hearsay

14 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

ion here then it saves a trip to Immigration. Now I'm gonna have to get some real exercise and spend my time doing my own research to get correct info rather than trust a bunch of unconfirmed hearsay.

You can always request a refund of your Thai Visa subscription fees.

i agree it's always frustrating when you ask for some information and end up with answers that equate to yes, no and maybe, but fairly soon you should realize that answers from BritTim, Tanoshi, ,UbonJoe, Elviajero and a few others tend to stand a high probability of being accurate and that other posters who post gibberish are quite often self-evident. It is, after all a (relatively democratic) discussion forum, not a research service that you're paying for answers.

And let's face it, often even if you get an answer to your question directly from an immigration officer on Monday, on Friday the "facts" will have changed. And what's true on paper won't necessarily mean anything in practice.

Edited by Suradit69

Anyone in CM beware. I had 800,000 baht seasoned for two months plus all correct docs. I also had a Thai friend with me. This was my third extension. IO wouldn't budge. I had printed out copies of the new police order in both Thai and English and politely questioned him. NO. CM makes their own rules he said. BTW, I'm 75 and not well. On my way to the US tomorrow morning. Not a happy camper. Also talked to someone who works at CM Immigration and apparently there is a new manager... 

Edited by Hummingbird
Add info
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hummingbird said:

Anyone in CM beware. I had 800,000 baht seasoned for two months plus all correct docs. I also had a Thai friend with me. This was my third extension. IO wouldn't budge. I had printed out copies of the new police order in both Thai and English and politely questioned him. NO. CM makes their own rules he said. BTW, I'm 75 and not well. On my way to the US tomorrow morning. Not a happy camper. Also talked to someone who works at CM Immigration and apparently there is a new manager... 

"CM makes their own rules he said"

sorry but thats BS. No way he would have actually said it. Perhaps your thai buddy misunderstood

What didn't he like? the 2 months only?

Two months only. CM will accept two months only if first application for extension of stay. Any subsequent ones are three months. And to the poster who said there was a misunderstanding, I can assure you that ALL was understood, speaking both in English and Thai. I happen to speak Thai as well. 

Edited by Hummingbird
Added info
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hummingbird said:

Two months only. And to the poster who said there was a misunderstanding, I can assure you that ALL was understood, speaking both in English and Thai. I happen to speak Thai as well. 

Im only going by what you posted that you took a Thai friend along to translate, but you speak Thai yourself? now Im confused 

I was pre-warned by a friend who had a similar experience in CM. I anticipated that I might have a challenge therefore I wanted to be as prepared as possible. Thus I printed out the new law and had a friend as a second set of ears and if necessary, to argue my point. The IO kept smiling and told me better if I go to America. I politely questioned him several times. I wrote this simply to tell of my experience and that of a friend. 

15 minutes ago, Hummingbird said:

I was pre-warned by a friend who had a similar experience in CM. I anticipated that I might have a challenge therefore I wanted to be as prepared as possible. Thus I printed out the new law and had a friend as a second set of ears and if necessary, to argue my point. The IO kept smiling and told me better if I go to America. I politely questioned him several times. I wrote this simply to tell of my experience and that of a friend. 

Why would the IO tell you to go to America? Like telling you to leave the country. And, to be clear, they told you that you needed 3 mths seasoning, correct? Just asking.. 

Edited by JohnnyBD

18 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

You posted on the general Thai Visa, Residency and Work permits forum, so you'll get general answers relating to individuals experiences, not specifically of your IO.

If you wanted a more specific answer about Jomtien, then you should have posted it on the Pattaya form.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/forum/29-pattaya-forum/

Guess you were to tired from your exercise on the beach to do a little research first.

3 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

Why would the IO tell you to go to America? Like telling you to leave the country... And, to be clear, you needed 3 mths seasoning, correct? Why not ask for a 30 day extension or something to help.

2 months according to the amended rules.

You can't get a 30 day extension to a 1 year extension.

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

2 months according to the amended rules.

You can't get a 30 day extension to a 1 year extension.

Yes, I know what the rules state. He said on his post that he was rejected with having only 2 mths seasoning in CM. I was asking him to clarify for me that they told him he needed 3 mths because he wasn't very clear. I guess that's why they told him to go to back to America because he couldn't get an extension. Sounds kind of rude to me for an IO to say that.

Edited by JohnnyBD

For what it's worth three months also in Nong Khai no matter what the rules say. Has I have said on previous occasions unless you want a shock I would ensure that you season for 3 months not two if you can.

Edited by khastan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1