Pinched in Vientiane

58 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

What if one is at home or on the road with their smart phone or whatever and doesn't have a printer? 

Since it is you have to make the appointment 2 to 3 weeks in advance I would think you would be able to print it out before arriving at the embassy. 

But I have read that will allow you to show the appointment on your mobile device.

• Like 1

You would of been a getting a non-o visa since a retirement visa does not exist. It was mentioned in several topics that an appointment was needed for a non immigrant visa application.

Did you have a police clearance and a medical certificate that is required to apply for a non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would of been a getting a non-o visa since a retirement visa does not exist. It was mentioned in several topics that an appointment was needed for a non immigrant visa application.

Did you have a police clearance and a medical certificate that is required to apply for a non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement.

Thanks U-Joe.  For myself, my 90 day non-o is based on marriage.  Not booking an online appointment, was my oversight.  I missed (bypassed) the details in thread topics, discussing the necessity of the online appointment.  As mentioned, I thought appointments were only neccessary to resolve Visa "issues" at the consulate (which semi made sense).   As far as I can tell, no one is entering the consulate without the "appointment".  Thai's seeking consulate assistance may be the exception.

6 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Thanks U-Joe.  For myself, my 90 day non-o is based on marriage. 

You did write retirement.

I looked yesterday evening on the and the first appointment available was the 21st of May.

You could go to Savannakhet to get a non-o visa. No appointment needed there.

1 minute ago, thaitero said:

So these outside fixers, Can they arrange appointment or no ?

If yes how much ?

They are trying hard to scrape any business they can.  Now with the appointments, and visa seekers 100% prepped, the fixers have resorted to "I'll book your appointment for you" (for a price).   They can arrange the appointment, but the cue still exists, meaning your appointment may be weeks down the road.  I had the same thought Monday morning: pay whatever price, to get an appointment "now".  Not doable (as far as I know).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

They are trying hard to scrape any business they can.  Now with the appointments, and visa seekers 100% prepped, the fixers have resorted to "I'll book your appointment for you" (for a price).   They can arrange the appointment, but the cue still exists, meaning your appointment may be weeks down the road.  I had the same thought Monday morning: pay whatever price, to get an appointment "now".  Not doable (as far as I know).

They did it for me the next day. Maybe the system aka corruption has changed but I would be surprised. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

Got to feel sorry for those guys who get to Vientiane, cannot get an appointment at the embassy and have already used up their two annual "free" overland visa-waiver entries so cannot cross overland back in to Thailand. I guess they then have to face consider flying in to Bangkok from Vientiane and face the prospect of perhaps getting grilled on arrival.

A 9-hr bus-ride to Savannakhet would be their solution.  Or a flight to Vietnam or similar.

Or buy a slot from the guys out front - not cheap though (per reports), and might just rip you off.  Per this report, maybe not even being offered any more.

52 minutes ago, SEtonal said:

What date did they do it for you?

Around mid February. If someone consider using the fixer they should ask the date for the queue. In my case it was for the next day but the online system was full for the next 3 weeks. 

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Around mid February. If someone consider using the fixer they should ask the date for the queue. In my case it was for the next day but the online system was full for the next 3 weeks. 

Thanks.  That is what I thought - appointments could be sold before the system was updated in March.   On March 2 someone reported that the Vientiane Consulate appointment system was going to be updated from March 23 to prevent appointments from being sold.  On March 26 people started reporting on the updated system. 

Also from another post in the first link:  "There is an issue there with people booking all the slots and then attempting to sell those slots on. The system is being changed over the next couple of weeks so as this cannot happen again in the future."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Or buy a slot from the guys out front - not cheap though (per reports), and might just rip you off.  Per this report, maybe not even being offered any more.

Have their been any confirmed reports of people buying a place to "jump the queue" and it worked? If yes, how much? Just curious, will never go through it myself but always fun to know.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Have their been any confirmed reports of people buying a place to "jump the queue" and it worked? If yes, how much? Just curious, will never go through it myself but always fun to know.

I paid 3000 baht. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The bit I don't understand about the new system is why, in the past, I could just walk up and make an application (which I did on two previous visits) without even having to queue up but the introduction of a queuing system results in what is effectively a 3 week backlog?  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Danthai said:

Savannakhet also need appointment for MEO for marriage now?

No

They do not require an appointment to do the application.

2 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Details of this new rule please.

Thanks in advance.