Very Disappointied N Spoil My Holiday Mood At Samui

I was at Chaweng to rent a motorbike for sightseeing. However, the tyre punchart n I immediately called back the rental person in-charge. I asked whether the claim can be made after I repaired it at the workshop n the person in-charge said the claim can be made. It costed me 1000 Baht. After the repair, I went back the rental counter to claim back the payment but it didnt happen. The person in-charge (called Oak) said it's impossible to claim the payment as it's not their responsibility. I was disappontied about the statement as i was told earlier that the claim can be made. This is the 1st time i went to KohSamui n i had this bad experience. It shouldn't be happening. I was upset about the irresponsible person in-charge who didn't care their customers' satisfaction n concern. :o:D:D:D:D

Although this guy got ripped off by whoever changed his tire & TiT it does annoy me that someone would rip him off, I mean it is hardly common knowledge to a green tourist that a basic tire repair costs no more than 200 baht max IME. Put it down to experience & if your ever back that way then you will know the real cost for future!!!

not even a 5 star rental company would re-imburse you for a puncture , its always down to the renter , be it car or bike.

and to expect any samui business to refund you anything is living in cuckoo land , think yourself lucky you werent kneecapped by the manager for waking him up and making him lose face in front of his mangy dog and fat sweaty wife by asking for a refund.

"customer satisfaction" is a largely unknown and alien concept on koh samui , unlike cultural traditions such as "you pay in advance" or "overcharging" or " special dumb tourist price" , traditions that as visitors , we are duty bound to respect.

me actually is repair in n out tyre that why the repair costs is high n we r rent 3 motorbike n 2 motorbike is puncture..... just rent for a day is really bad enough already....... ............. :o

maybe the taxi service will be the best choice to any 1st time holiday in Samui that won be hv this happening on..... we r not actually is bcos of the repair costs but is the service they r did to tourist ...... btw we r still very enjoy the trip on KohSamui n Phangan Island..... :o

The guy was had over BIG style. The cost to repair the innertube with a patch 40-50 baht. Cost to replace innertube 80-100 baht. A new tyre only 200 baht. If you are going to rent something like a bike do a bit of research. No bike rental place is going to give you 1000 baht for a flat tyre when the bike only cost 120-200 baht for the day. For me that would have given the game away for the repair. Lets hope the OP learns from his experience.

IF YOU CANT DIVE! RIDE!

I was at Chaweng to rent a motorbike for sightseeing. However, the tyre punchart n I immediately called back the rental person in-charge. I asked whether the claim can be made after I repaired it at the workshop n the person in-charge said the claim can be made. It costed me 1000 Baht. After the repair, I went back the rental counter to claim back the payment but it didnt happen. The person in-charge (called Oak) said it's impossible to claim the payment as it's not their responsibility. I was disappontied about the statement as i was told earlier that the claim can be made. This is the 1st time i went to KohSamui n i had this bad experience. It shouldn't be happening. I was upset about the irresponsible person in-charge who didn't care their customers' satisfaction n concern. :o:D:D:D:D

1000 baht!mental cost.....probably more than the bike was worth.....no refunds guaranteed...

It's happen to me as well, I rent it from "fat Oak" and 5 min later... gone...

Cost me 150 bath, I already know that tyre punchart are not covered so I did not even ask

him, but I was lucky enough to be still in Chaweng area and did ask to a couple of them

before to repair it but price was only slightly different one asked for 250 the other 150....

Cheers

Ps.: always ask in advance the cost of everything in Samui...

I was at Chaweng to rent a motorbike for sightseeing. However, the tyre punchart n I immediately called back the rental person in-charge. I asked whether the claim can be made after I repaired it at the workshop n the person in-charge said the claim can be made. It costed me 1000 Baht. After the repair, I went back the rental counter to claim back the payment but it didnt happen. The person in-charge (called Oak) said it's impossible to claim the payment as it's not their responsibility. I was disappontied about the statement as i was told earlier that the claim can be made. This is the 1st time i went to KohSamui n i had this bad experience. It shouldn't be happening. I was upset about the irresponsible person in-charge who didn't care their customers' satisfaction n concern. :D:D:D:D:bah:

Happened to a friend of mine as well when both of us were driving in a very remote area on the western part of Samui. We found a repair shop and the wife of the guy who took the motobike there changed the tire....the guy went to sleep again :bah:

The rental shop (near Coco's -north Chaweng) guys just shrugged their shoulders and didn't refund.

But, it was a nice adventure to loop back upon; Oh, what the heck, it's another experience in life, isn't it?

Cheer up. :o

LaoPo

The OP is complaining about being told he would be reimbursed, not overcharged for the repair.

This should be unacceptable, I agree.

It's sad to see so many just bend over and take their punishment.

A squeaky wheel will eventually get grease....even in Thailand.

Don't accept this as normal treatment, and someday the tide will turn in the favor of the tourist.

Wishful thinking I know.

I'm a union man, I can't help it!!

I was at Chaweng to rent a motorbike for sightseeing. However, the tyre punchart n I immediately called back the rental person in-charge. I asked whether the claim can be made after I repaired it at the workshop n the person in-charge said the claim can be made. It costed me 1000 Baht. After the repair, I went back the rental counter to claim back the payment but it didnt happen. The person in-charge (called Oak) said it's impossible to claim the payment as it's not their responsibility. I was disappontied about the statement as i was told earlier that the claim can be made. This is the 1st time i went to KohSamui n i had this bad experience. It shouldn't be happening. I was upset about the irresponsible person in-charge who didn't care their customers' satisfaction n concern. :D:D:D:D:bah:

No be angry, this is Samui, you have flat tire you fix it yourself for free, or go to a mechanic and he charge you! Logic!?! I would advic you next time you have a vacation try Pattaya! :o

Edited by SamuiJens

if motor bikes have let you down , perhaps you could try the taxi service on samui.

Please dont take this seriously , only a joke. Do not try it.

Was wondering how much THEY charge if THEY get a flat while you're in the Cab??! :o$$$$$

Edited by SamuiJens

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think you might be expecting Western Standards of Service from a Developing Country? Since this is your first time on Koh Samui, you should be aware that the countryside of Thailand is much less developed and coming to Koh Samui or other resort areas of Thailand gives a misconception of the general standard of the country compared with the West; especially when we're presented with 5 Star Hotels accomadation here - which we expect to have the same standards of home but 50% of the price. I wonder how much it would cost you to rent a moterbike in your home country for the day. Obviously in your home country you would be covered for things such as tyre puncture as they've been renting bikes and cars a few more hundred years than the 10-20 years on Koh Samui. If you can imagine, 5-10 years ago, it was out of kindness that Thai's assisted Farang tourists here, and only recently has the green-eyed monster seen all the money that can be made - but where in that time were they supposed to learn about Western Business Standards? I fully appreciate the frustration - I've lived on the island nearly 3 years now - and find I have to contantly remind myself of the above fact to calm my aggrevation down. Its frustrating but you must keep in in perspective and not expect a service standard which is un-reachable. It is something Koh Samui will have to address in the future however if she'd like to continue increasing her prices, advertising "Luxurious" holiday etc the service will have to support it otherwise you won't get any return customers!

:bah: Pardon me I hope you understand my point

Do you think you might be expecting Western Standards of Service from a Developing Country? Since this is your first time on Koh Samui, you should be aware that the countryside of Thailand is much less developed and coming to Koh Samui or other resort areas of Thailand gives a misconception of the general standard of the country compared with the West; especially when we're presented with 5 Star Hotels accomadation here - which we expect to have the same standards of home but 50% of the price. I wonder how much it would cost you to rent a moterbike in your home country for the day. Obviously in your home country you would be covered for things such as tyre puncture as they've been renting bikes and cars a few more hundred years than the 10-20 years on Koh Samui. If you can imagine, 5-10 years ago, it was out of kindness that Thai's assisted Farang tourists here, and only recently has the green-eyed monster seen all the money that can be made - but where in that time were they supposed to learn about Western Business Standards? I fully appreciate the frustration - I've lived on the island nearly 3 years now - and find I have to contantly remind myself of the above fact to calm my aggrevation down. Its frustrating but you must keep in in perspective and not expect a service standard which is un-reachable. It is something Koh Samui will have to address in the future however if she'd like to continue increasing her prices, advertising "Luxurious" holiday etc the service will have to support it otherwise you won't get any return customers!

:bah: Pardon me I hope you understand my point

not all motorbike rentals are the same look at the shop and the bikes before you rent older looking bikes (check milage) will give you more problems than new ones check out your hotel or bungalow resort they all rent bikes or advise you where to go you may pay 50 b more but in the long run its better :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have a puncture every month more or less, costs me 90 Baht every time - that's the price for the new tube... fixing it old-style by fixing the hole would cost bht 30. If anything, you can report the shop to the tourist police but most likely nothing will come of it. I assume you don't have a receipt?

If not, or if you want to save yourself some aggravation, 1000 Baht is not the end of the world, consider it the price for the lesson you learned and don't take it too seriously :bah: in any country, when you don't know the price for services or goods it's possible to get ripped off.

sabai-sabai. let it go...

Edit: For the record, no rental company will pay you for a punctured tire. Not here, not in the west. And if you tried to claim this in the west - let's say this rental company has amazing service - and arrive with a bill that's 10 times what it _should_ be I can guarantee you no-one would compensate you for that. Direct your anger at the shop that ripped you off not the rental company.

Edited by nikster

Obviously in your home country they've been renting bikes and cars a few more hundred years than the 10-20 years on Koh Samui

are you quite certain about that ?

a few more hundred years???? what, you mean like people have been renting cars and motorbikes for 200 years? :o

Obviously in your home country they've been renting bikes and cars a few more hundred years than the 10-20 years on Koh Samui

are you quite certain about that ?

a few more hundred years???? what, you mean like people have been renting cars and motorbikes for 200 years? :o

Sure,the Egyptians invented car rental, Rent A Chariot with your choice of 1 or 2 men to pull.But then the chinese stole the idea,re branded it called it Rikshaw( I hope that's the right spelling). :D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

while i rented out a bike from 1 resort in samui,on the paper you sighn it even noted that it would cost you 1000baht to fix a puncture.

now when i moved upto the lamai area i rented anothe scooter from another place and over night somebody knocked my scooter over and it snapped the brake lever and brake cable.so i take the bike back thinking there going to sting me big time for the bill but all it ended up costing me was 150 baht for a new brake lever and a new brake cable which i thought was a total result.

while i rented out a bike from 1 resort in samui,on the paper you sighn it even noted that it would cost you 1000baht to fix a puncture.

now when i moved upto the lamai area i rented anothe scooter from another place and over night somebody knocked my scooter over and it snapped the brake lever and brake cable.so i take the bike back thinking there going to sting me big time for the bill but all it ended up costing me was 150 baht for a new brake lever and a new brake cable which i thought was a total result.

Lucky you to find somebody honest.

If anyone has a motorbike problem they can take to any of the bike service places and get get it fixed at a fair price. I have never had a problem.

Lucky you to find somebody honest.

If anyone has a motorbike problem they can take to any of the bike service places and get get it fixed at a fair price. I have never had a problem.

One thing I would add here is that renting a scotter at your resort is MORE expensive. I always looked for a small local shop and got great deals for the time I was here (60-75 Baht per day) compared to the resorts that go up to 200Baht+! And if you get a flat they're not greedy and as LB said, you need not worry about the small places, its the resorts and Bigger places, that you will likly be ripped off at! Remeber renting from the small guy will get you a fair shake. Just a train for thought. :o I could be wrong, but I've never had problems, either!

Edited by SamuiJens