2 Year Old Tires - Do I need To Replace Them Right Away?

I have a pair of Michelin Pilot Street tires on my Honda CBR that were purchased brand new and have been on there exactly 2 years now. I haven’t ridden that much lately so they probably only have a few thousand kilometers on them and the treads still look almost brand new. I have been told many times though that tires in Thailand get hard and dried out from the heat and then become slippery and dangerous to ride on and that normally people change them every 2 years, regardless of tread wear.

I can see they are a bit hard and shiny now, definitely not as soft as when I put them on there in April 2017, but they are not too bad either in my opinion and when I brake relatively hard I don’t find myself going into any skids. So they still seem fairly grippy.

I am wondering how safe or unsafe it is to keep riding on these tires for another 6-8 months before I change them? As the rainy weather in Bangkok is likely to start in the next week or two, I might get caught in the rain at times and this is what concerns me the most about continuing to ride on these tires. I don’t make it a habit of riding in the rain, but sometimes it can’t be avoided if it starts to rain while you are already out. I am normally not riding very far though. At most usually a 20 kilometer distance in Bangkok when I do ride, but most often it is only a few milometers on city streets within Bangkok I am traveling in fact. So should I replace them as soon as possible or is it safe to ride on them a bit longer?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Cheers...

Edited by TylerBKK
  • Haha 2

Hard tires don't get slippery, they gain more grip, but lose material faster. They lose the "glue effect" ... but that is probably irrelevant for hobbyist riders.

• Like 1

How about going to a decent bike shop and asking them? If you don't have the personal knowledge to make a decision ask those that do know. Far better than asking random people on the Internet. (Cue the 'but of course they will say you need new tyres ' comments.)

I noticed one day a tire was bulging a bit but decided not to do anything about it. A few hours later it blew at 120km- an interesting experience even in a truck. Best not to ignore your two bits of contact with the tarmac. Don't scrimp when it comes to your life.

• Haha 1

I agree in general that you shouldn't run your tires beyond the manufacturer recommended date, but one thing to consider beyond how much you have driven on the tires is location and the environment you have your bike parked when not in use.  I keep my truck and bikes parked in a fully enclose garage for the most part in at or near darkness.  In this environment, the rubber looks very good, no cracks and will last much longer than a vehicle parked outside in the heat under a cover and even worse, parked in the sunlight along with the other environmental factors, temperature, humidity, rain etc.  As the tires age, they should demand more frequent inspection.  The UV rays from the sun are the worse enemy of tires, vinyl, leather, dash, door and window seals.  The seals on my 12 year old Vigo are just as pliant as they were when new.

What I am saying is that there is no hard and fast rule on when tires should be changed; it all depends on how they were used, how they were cared for and how they were protected from the elements; my two cents worth.

• Like 2

Old school, my parents and grand parents used to buy new tires about 2 years before they needed them. Putting them into the garage to become 'harder', so they last 2 or 3 years longer than bought new, when finally put onto the wheels.

But that was "old school" aka cars usually not running faster than 100km/h - 120 km/h.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/3/2019 at 7:16 PM, TylerBKK said:

CBR that were purchased brand new and have been on there exactly 2 years now. I haven’t ridden that much lately so they probably only have a few thousand kilometers on them

I would get out a bit more, before I stopped riding my CBR as I needed more exercise I was changing the rear tire at about 9 months, the front was changed at about 15~18 months. 2 years is well within the life of those tires 

• Confused 1

Queensland, Australia has similar conditions to Thailand and tyres when inspected for a road worthy certificate does not have a cut off date for age. It is recommended that tyres over five years old regardless of mileage be very carefully inspected but age alone is not a failure factor.

Tyres are reasonably cheap here so if you see any bulges or nicks in the sidewalls change them, the same goes for multiple puncture repairs.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

They don't.

Depends on conditions, usually they do. Hint: we are not talking about F1 racing tires, but about ordinary car and motorcycle tires, so: yes, they gain more grip.

10 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I suggest you send your question  to Michelin Co, preferably not Thailand, and seek their recommendation.

I think the advice you may have received here will not be substantiated.

Much of the advice here has been given by people who have bikes in Thailand and have no interest in selling tyres. Michelin on the other hand, have a great interest in selling tyres.

Depends on conditions, usually they do. Hint: we are not talking about F1 racing tires, but about ordinary car and motorcycle tires, so: yes, they gain more grip.
Amazing, must be new technology 555

15 minutes ago, shaurene said:

No, do NOT need to change them. But a big mistake many people make is to not swap the tires around after new each 6 months. Back right change with front left and back left with front right. While you get the guy to do it have him and yourself give them a good look over for any little splits, stones or other stuff in the tread   And the sides on each tire.

Bit difficult on a motorcycle, be impossible on my car as well as different sizes front and rear.

In the heat and dry hot conditions slicks work best! so tyres will be fine - if wet damp raining - different story - visual inspection - if they look ok, which they should after two years be fine though you should be riding harder and wearing them out quicker ????

Michelin is talking real about checking after 5 YEARS! SO they can run long time.

Not that you shouldnt check on a regularly base, so inspect maybe every month.

All depends on how you expose your bike to sunlight and heat, on what roads you drive to have wear. ALso what is the the pressure in your tires? Keep them on the desired pressure.

On the tire there is a wearspot, so on that you can see if it is still in limit.

A little bump in the profile.

Take care not to put them in direct sonlight, every time, long time. That will make the rubber hard, beware of that. 

Every month or what ever you please check your tires on pressure and failures, like cracks or other anomalies and then you can keep on running longer time, no problem.

Be aware if you have new tires, they can be slippery in the beginning as they have to wear a little for better performance.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Enki said:

lol. You can't be serious.

Some nonsensical responses above without scientific proof.

Tyres have a "wear gauge" built into the tread. It's a small built up piece of rubber between the tread in 1 or maybe more locations around the tyre. Look for it. When the tread wears down to the same level then replace the tyre. It's usually 1 or 2 mm, which in some countries is a legal minimum limit for tyre tread. I have the original tyres on a Ranger truck after 5 years and 73,000ks and still show 2 mm above the wear gauge, and apart from discolouration they look like new. 

Michelin affirms that tyres do NOT expire with age.

Here is a more reliable link: http://timeattackmanila.com/news/generalnews/michelin-affirms-michelin-tires-not-expire-age/   

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, Psimbo said:

How about going to a decent bike shop and asking them? If you don't have the personal knowledge to make a decision ask those that do know. Far better than asking random people on the Internet. (Cue the 'but of course they will say you need new tyres ' comments.)

I noticed one day a tire was bulging a bit but decided not to do anything about it. A few hours later it blew at 120km- an interesting experience even in a truck. Best not to ignore your two bits of contact with the tarmac. Don't scrimp when it comes to your life.

My experience in Thailand is that many tyre dealers will try to sell you new tyres based on any irrelevant reason at all, especially if it appears that you are concerned. I had a recent experience on an almost new car (at an authorised Michelin dealer) where I mentioned I wanted the balance checked (a 5 minute job) because I had noticed some vibration at high speed. After just glancing at the wheel, they said I need new tyres. The car and tyres were almost new...so much for "knowledgeable experts'...they are just preying on gullible non-technical customers who don't know any better. Fortunately I'm not one of those, and insisted that they remove the wheel, put it on the balancing machine, and check it. This they did...adjusted the balancing weights and solved the problem.

As for driving on a tyre knowing that there was a bulge in it, then that’s not far short of a potential criminal act.

No one has mentioned the fact that rubber does need to be exercised occasionally to keep it supple. Take if you leave your bike in the shed for a year or so. When you pump up the tires cracks appear on the sidewall and eventually the main part of the tire will too.  It will also feel hard to the touch. Whereas if you use it every week or so this is less likely to happen.  The old belt drive hi fi turntables were prone get  a stretched belt if unused for a few years.

If used regularly no problem.

Probably, the heat will accelerate this factor.

Edited by Slain
further brain cells kicking in
  • Haha 1

I have Pilots on my CBR, I don't leave it parked in the sun but these tyres have been on the bike for about 4 years and nothing is amiss. I would just check for cracks and general deterioration, if they are not cracked or crumbly then you should be fine. 

Leaving the tyres parked on a hard / damp / concrete surface without moving them for a period of time will ruin them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Enki said:

No his right a harder tyre will grip still and they just last longer but initially if it was a soft compound tyre getting harden then there's the difference.

If the OP wants to replace them then send them to me.   

Replace after 2 years...??? What a rort.......

Mate of mine had a top range Honda where they said the timing belt must be changed every 4 years or whatever milage, normally 90 to 100 thou klm.

Since the milage had not yet accrued but the time had, he took the vehicle in for the replacement.

Cost him a few bob also I might add.

He mentioned it to me and I asked if he would like to compare his "old" belt to the condition of the one i had just replaced in my wife's Hyundai at the recommended 90,000klm.

Poor bugger couldn't get a word out .....but...but...but.... my old one looks brand new !!! mmmmmm .

Same trick "they" try to enforce here on tyres.

Edited by bluejets

After 2 years only is ridiculous to me, as already said is it kept in direct sun or not? do you apply silicone tye cleaner which helps to protect against the uv ?  Just keep an eye on the side wall for any cracking and,  to locate the wear bars in the tread,you will find a small arrow on the side wall pointing up to the tread566366129_images(1).jpg.dc261a129b237c334744f8203f445d37.jpgd.