Cooling down my water tank

Andrew Dwyer

59 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

How best would radiant barrier film work on my house or suggestions. See picture 

at the bas if the roof/ceiling or under the roof itself., looking for a cost effective and something relatively easy to install. 

F2E7CCF5-3C48-4C0A-90C2-E4BD7F2A41EC.jpeg

88358C2B-C879-4196-856A-CC544EC879F5.jpeg

7F9D9BEF-EF77-4380-8F75-CDA98875D5BB.jpeg

I assume you will have an attic. With your roof design, it does not allow for much attic venting. There are no gable ends where you would put vertical slotted air vents to take advantage of any crosswinds. I would strongly suggest you ensure plenty of soffit vent slots on the outside overhangs to allow air into the attic from the underside, as well as a couple of good quality vent turbines near the highest point to allow the superheated attic air out.  Your roofing material should have some sort of heat shielding foil/foam bonded to the underside of it to reduce the radiant heat into your ceilings. Also, rolls of foil/insulation material laid on top of your ceilings in the attic space will help, the last thing to be installed after wiring, etc.

7 hours ago, Gold Star said:

I disagree that the foil/paper product is best. The best stuff I found IS in fact the foil bonded to the 4 mm foam, used on the bottom of metal corrugated roofing metal.  Installed shiny side outwards and foam inwards, you do in fact want as much insulation as you can around the outside of the tank to reduce heat transfer from sun and the warm ambient air to the cooler tank.  I see your air conditioner heat pump is installed directly above it, and if it is running all day, will also heat your tank.  Cover the top of the tank as well. As for the foil/paper stuff, it is not as rigid, and the paper on the other side will rot and degrade, where the foam will not maintaining it's form. In fact, I also bond this stuff to the inside tops of my motorcycle top cases to keep it a lot cooler inside for water, groceries, and things. Good luck!

If the water in the tank is at a lower temperature than the surrounding air then your advice works, if it is higher it doesn't.

8 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, by the time I get something sorted, clean the aircon first, the ( extremely) hot spell will have finished, rainy season will have started and I won’t know whether it’s doing anything or not emoji849.png

As I mentioned do the foil first.

8 hours ago, DJ54 said:

How best would radiant barrier film work on my house or suggestions. See picture 

at the bas if the roof/ceiling or under the roof itself., looking for a cost effective and something relatively easy to install. 

If you are going to put tiles on the roof then put foil on first.

IMG_7351.JPG.9a695a6eda2b7fc5dce90e33530081ee.JPG

if metal sheet then bonded on foam ad foil is good.

and adding insulation on the ceiling as well is even better.IMG_7352.JPG.89a4199457a13ecf45ad54f25ffb5ac7.JPG

• Like 1

Dig an underground bunker, install a refrigeration system in, move the tank into the underground bunker and install heat exchangers before and after the tank to insure a relatively constant temperature is maintained. Run the half-inch pipe leading to your shower through a two-inch pipe, and install a recirculating pump to maintain the flow of chilled water around the half-inch pipe, this will insure cool water is dispensed immediately, I hate having to wait for cool water. Also, be sure to insulate the 2” pipe to avoid condensation.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DJ54 said:

IF you google  roof pu insulated sheets in thailand  you get some companies.

you see roof sheets with insulation already attached http://www.greatwall1988.com/roofsolarshield.php or i even saw a company which is spraying PU on the sheets. Ha , it is even Dutch  http://www.sprayfoamthailand.com/.

Of course there are about a million more on alibaba, but then you have to import and take care of it all.

There are also special insulated wall sheets.

You can also find rockwool insulation, insulation sheets fixing them to the roof sheets. Or blankets you can roll and fix. I once saw in thaiwatsadu (very big DIY shop, love it) they were selling blankets.

You can find locations by googling thai watsadu locations

You dont see much in english searching , maybe you should translate search in Thai and see what pops up then.

If your town pressure is reasonable, bypass your tank, as that water will cooler + when you have no electric you still have water. a simple outside plumbing job. clap2.gif&key=431d33be50296bf3d3e607057f8ac67688b9392ddbe334a730c1f9e548513d68

Yes, I have a tank/pump bypass, unfortunately the water pressure is pretty p1ss poor and wouldn’t give a satisfying shower, the “water in the bucket” system is a lot better when the power is down.

19 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I use a two tank system with a tank on the roof and one on the ground. Power out, still have water.

I am in the process of reconfiguring the ground floor system now...

That is exactly the setup we have, though we've got three tanks on the ground level for when the village water is cut off. The tank in the roof is high enough above the shower heads that we can get a moderate shower even with the power off.

Usually the village water pressure is enough to fill the roof tank with a ball float to control it. But if the village pressure is too low we also have a small pump beside the ground floor tanks that will fill the top tank. That works on a float switch in the top tank with a couple of NR valves.

We have consistent water service, but never enough pressure to fill the roof tank.

When we got it, (the building) it had a pump on the ground floor, pumping from the city line to the rooftop tanks which I think I’d bad practice for a number of reasons.

18 minutes ago, mogandave said:

When we got it, (the building) it had a pump on the ground floor, pumping from the city line to the rooftop tanks which I think I’d bad practice for a number of reasons.

Not to mention illegal or at least banned by all water suppliers.