British runner Sharp received death threats for Semenya comments

British runner Sharp received death threats for Semenya comments

800x800 (7).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Athletics - British Championships - Alexander Stadium, Birmingham, Britain - June 30, 2018 Lynsey Sharp wins her women's 800m heat Action Images via Reuters/Ed Sykes

DOHA (Reuters) - British runner Lynsey Sharp said on Friday she had received death threats for past comments about South African Caster Semenya's "advantage" in middle distance races.

"I've had death threats. I've had threats against my family and that's not a position I want to be in," the 28-year-old told the BBC after finishing ninth behind winner Semenya in Friday's Diamond League 800m race in Doha.

"It's really unfortunate the way it's played out."

The victory was the 30th consecutive for double Olympic champion Semenya at the distance but the last before new International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) rules affecting the South African and other women with high natural levels of testosterone come into effect.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruled on Wednesday the regulations were necessary for athletes with differences in sexual development (DSDs) to ensure fair competition.

In the future, Semenya and others with DSD must take medication to reduce their testosterone levels to under 5 nmol/L - double the normal female range of below 2 nmol/L - if they wish to continue competing in races between 400 metres and a mile.

But the South African defiantly said "hell no" on Friday when asked if she would take medication.

Sharp, the 2012 European 800m champion, said it has been a difficult time for her and other runners dealing with the situation.

"By no means am I over the moon about this, it's just been a long 11 years for everyone," said Sharp, who once said Semenya was "light years ahead" of her competitors.

"I've known Caster since 2008, it's something I've been familiar with over the past 11 years.

"No-one benefits from this situation - of course she doesn't benefit, but it's not me versus her, it's not us versus them."

Testosterone is a hormone that increases muscle mass, strength and haemoglobin - which affects endurance. Some competitors have said women with higher levels of the hormone have an unfair advantage.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-04
  • Haha 2

Even had a CNN sports reporter trying to insinuate that, as Usain Bolt had a far better record than CS, those highlighting any differential to her other competitors should be ignored as not significant, especially as her time was 'only' an alltime 4th best for 800m.

Conveniently ignored was that the current WR and the 2nd top time were set in the 80's by athletes who were drugged to the gills. Plus that CS has a current winning streak of 30 races.

Maybe they should obtain comments from the top female 800m runners and find out the impact this imbalance has had on their careers. Although, given the backlash that Lindsay Sharp has suffered, it is clear that the PC reporting on this issue has meant that any balanced discourse is just not possible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Addressing the testosterone level over some range of race distance is a poor  compromise that doesn't solve the issue. If you have naturally higher values  of  something, it's your luck as long as you are in the correct gender category. Would they make a rule that people over 2m tall have an unfair advantage to play basket? Or would they say that any person with testosterone higher than x is a man by definition?

The IOC, CAS, whoever is in charge has to show the balls (pardon the pun) to say clearly that she is not a biological woman. She can run with the men if she wants. It's a hard decision, but the only way forward. If on the other hand the only criterium for being a woman is not having a visible penis, then let her be.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

"Differences in sexual development", well that sounds like something which appears to be a blanket description for everything and possibly nothing.

As far as I can make out, Caster Semenya has no womb, no ovaries no internal childbearing apparatus and a couple of internal testicles, so how on earth that makes "her" a woman, then I've got absolutely no idea, apart from the fact that her mother may have raised as a girl because she didn't have the normal male penis equipment hanging out the front.

It's about time the powers that be made a definite ruling stating that she cannot run under the guise of a female, because in my opinion, in no way, shape or form is this person a woman, apart from the fact "she" might like to dress in female clothes (sometimes).

..does she have one of those 'camel toe' inserts for her shorts. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, tandor said:

..does she have one of those 'camel toe' inserts for her shorts. ????

Her or him, I'm not sure.  Got to be careful too as in the UK the BiB will most definitely come calling if they receive a report of misgendering which isn't against the law apparently but that doesn't matter to the BiB.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

Her or him, I'm not sure.  Got to be careful too as in the UK the BiB will most definitely come calling if they receive a report of misgendering which isn't against the law apparently but that doesn't matter to the BiB.

..these matters have to be thoroughly checked out.

2 hours ago, OneEyedPie said:

It's doesn't stop there either.  The transgender lobby also wants in on the action with men who've transitioned to women wanting to compete against women which is sheer lunacy.

A simple solution to this is men racing men, women racing women and everyone else racing each other.  Though I suspect this is far too radical for the trans lobby.

Nufink to do with me...:stoner:

Saw her on Sky news today, looks male, closed my eyes and couldn't hear anything female in her voice at all.  An unfortunate genetic thing, but it isn't fair her competing against fully genetic females.

I'm not in favour of segregation in all sports, those that involve skill and not sheer strength or size (snooker, darts, archery. motor sports, gymnastics, shooting, etc.) should IMO, be open to all on an equal basis.  Athletics, swimming, weightlifting, football, golf and suchlike should not.

As far as I've read, she is closer to male than female genetically.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Not sure which is less sporting, this Caster Semenya or Australian handball giant Hannah Mouncey (formerly Callum). Both inviting ridicule, and fairly in my opinion. PC has no place in sport.

I think it’s ok to have homosexual referees, or players.  

PC has no place in the dictionary. It’s mostly used to justify recidivist attitudes that most Neanderthals would walk away from

A difficult one, complicated by the whole trans issue, when does a woman become a man or vice versa. As with disabled sports we probably need a third category - clearly male, clearly female, mixed. 

Too fast for a woman and too slow for a man... There needs to be a separate hyperandronegism or intersex or dsd (differences in sexual development) category for the IAAF and IOC. I do feel sorry for her, she's born that way and doesn't have a penis so her parents thought she's a girl. And being in a poor part of South Africa they would never thought to get her checked whilst young so she could take medicine to reduce the male hormones. What would be interesting is if she reduced her testosterone levels and still won! Then what would they do? Put breasts on her?

6 hours ago, nausea said:

A difficult one, complicated by the whole trans issue, when does a woman become a man or vice versa. As with disabled sports we probably need a third category - clearly male, clearly female, mixed. 

Not difficult IMO, as Semenya has no womb, ovaries, no child-bearing or supporting "apparatus" and a couple of internal testicles.............surely a man by any definition; it's not rocket science, but the PC and Trans brigade want to make it an issue because it suits their purpose.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tifino said:

I wonder how Mrs Semenya thinks of all the 

Fuss?

...just set another place at the hungry table...you never know what combination may turn up.

5 hours ago, tandor said:

...just set another place at the hungry table...you never know what combination may turn up.

I hope Caster's wife (Violet), isn't slow in the kitchen!

- probably so hard to keep up with hubby, that all she'd have time for is to make 'fast' food

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 1:55 PM, OneEyedPie said:

It's doesn't stop there either.  The transgender lobby also wants in on the action with men who've transitioned to women wanting to compete against women which is sheer lunacy.

A simple solution to this is men racing men, women racing women and everyone else racing each other.  Though I suspect this is far too radical for the trans lobby.

Sad those two brothers in the USA are tearing up the girl's track team; the PC school officials and now NANCY P... endorses this.. sad indeed.  Just when does this stop being absurd?