Changing to marriage extension

Hi everyone,

I have been on retirement extensions for 3 years, first in Pattaya (1 year) and then CW (2 years). I am an Australian citizen.

Please bear with me for a slightly long story.

As I have been legally married (duly registered) to my Thai wife for over 3 years and we have a 1 year old child together, I want to change to a marriage extension next time. We are now living in Hua Hin and went to see immigration 2 weeks ago. My current extension will expire on 31 May.

The officer told us that we will need to come back with additional documentation (including miscellaneous photos of us three at home, a Thai neighbour as a witness to us living in a bona fide relationship etc) which is all fair enough. She asked me why I wanted to change from retirement to marriage and I told her that, with a young family, I wanted to get back into work to earn some additional money and that I cannot get a working permit on a retirement extension. That reply seemed to satisfy her.

She said that I would be "under consideration" for a month after lodging the application. When I mentioned that I have to travel regularly for work overseas (I am a conference interpreter), she said that I would not be able to leave the country during that month without forfeiting my extension. I told her that I have to be in Singapore from 19 to 23 May and she said that I should wait until 24 May to lodge my application. My problem is that I have now been offered another job on 3 June for a few days, which means that I would need to leave Thailand during my "under consideration period." I will also be in Australia from 3 July to 4 August.

The way I see it is that my only option upon return to Suvarnabhumi on 23 May will be to enter on a 30 day exemption (i.e. not using the remaining 8 days of my retirement extension), leaving Thailand again on 3 June and returning to Suvarnabhumi on 6 June on another 30 day exemption. That would give me 30 days before I will travel to Australia. In Australia I could apply for a spouse visa at the consulate in Sydney. Their website appears to ask for very limited documentation and does not require any financial proof. Does anyone know whether I will need to substantiate my savings balance (in Thailand and/or Australia)? Also, according to the information on the consulate's website I would get to stay in Thailand for 90 days. Will I then need to apply for an extension with immigration in Hua Hin? Will that involve the usual marriage extension requirements, including the "under consideration" period? Any other things to bear in mind?

Grateful for any informed feedback.

Thanks in advance ????

Khun Max

You can leave the country during an under consideration period, but you need a re-entry permit. They may want a home visit as it's your first application as a spouse. It's normally done soon after you apply but could be a problem if you're abroad. 

If the office won't play ball regarding a re-entry permit. I would apply for a 60 day extension at the end of May. That can be issued on the spot. Get a re-entry permit to cover the 60 days for your trip abroad. Then at the end of (during) the 60 days you can apply for the 1 year family based extension 

• Like 2

During my first visit to immigration for my marriage paperwork they told me same thing..That if I wanted to leave during the under consideration period I would need to get a re entry permit. I wasnt planning on leaving so I didnt get it. They even tried to give me one anyway for just in case. I hadnt any plans on leaving within the next 6 months so I passed on it. But yes with the home visit it could be a problem but you can just tell them the dates you will be gone and dont send someone during that time.

Why on Earth do you want to change ? 800k route so much simpler.
I would think ,many of us will change ,been doing retirement for 13 years ,next time you have to leave 800000 in for 5 months and 400000 for ever,why should we its our money,if i want to spend it as i wish ,or have an emergancy why shouldnt we?
Big deal they have to visit my house ,they can talk to the police officer who lives next door .

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all the replies so far!

It's strange that the officer did not tell me about the re-entry permit option.

I will check back with her.

El Viajero, you mention a 60 day extension in case I run into trouble with the re-entry permit. Would that be an extension of my current retirement extension?

From the dates you've posted:

After returning from Singapore, apply for your extension 24th, or 27th May.

You'll be given an under consideration stamp for 30 days, usually from date of application, so from 24/5 - 24/6.

Obtain a single re-entry permit for the under consideration period 24/5 - 24/6.

A few days away from 3/6 - 10/6 (roughly).

Return for marriage extension stamp on 30/6 (probably earlier, it rarely takes 30 days).

Apply for a multi re-entry permit on the same visit to cover the new extension period to 31/5/2020.

As elviajero correctly stated you can leave during an under consideration period, but must be back to receive the extension.

Home visits are by appointment, so try and arrange it week commencing 27/5.