Marriage visa banking requirements

You only need  the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months before you apply for the extension. Some offices are checking that it is still there during the the under consideration period. After that you can do what you want to with the 400k baht.

• Like 2

Hi Joe,

I was at CW last week to get an extension of stay based on Marriage. I currently  have a retirement extension for the last 5 years. Before that it was a marriage extension for a long time. I finally changed because all the IO's said I should get a retirement extension, less paperwork for them I guess. That's the background. With new rules in January, which kept changing, I requested the SSA to transfer my pension check to Bangkok Bank, New York, which is then swift routed to me in BKK. It took 2 months for the transfer to take effect. The annual pension equals about 440,000. THB  This started in March.  As added safety I also transferred 520,000THB into my BKK account on March 12th. My renewal for extension of stay expires on May 10th. My wife and I went to CW with all the marriage paperwork, 2 separate copies from the Bank that I had money in the bank and there were 2 swift wire transfers,  along with my SSA letter showing what I received every month showing it was automatically transferred to Bangkok Bank. The IO and her supervisor both said the money had not in the Bank long enough. I politely showed the IO the SSA letter, she and her supervisor were not at all interested in that. Only what was in the bank in Thailand, they said it had to be in the bank in Thailand. 2 months seasoning did not work. However, they said if I transferred another 75,000THB into my Thai bank account they would make an exception and for me to come back this week with the updated proof from the bank.  I then asked  about changing to a marriage extension. They said I did not have enough money in the bank and the combination method could not be used for a marriage extension, only for a retirement extension. Their game, their rules. I am certain there were many different outcomes possible, just depends on your luck of the draw regarding IO's. Sorry for being long winded.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You only need  the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months before you apply for the extension. Some offices are checking that it is still there during the the under consideration period. After that you can do what you want to with the 400k baht.

Do you know what the consideration period is ? They told me to apply 7 -14 days before it is due. thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Do you know what the consideration period is ? They told me to apply 7 -14 days before it is due. thanks in advance.

The under consideration period is 30 days from the date you apply for the extension or 30 days from the end of your current permit to stay at some offices.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The under consideration period is 30 days from the date you apply for the extension or 30 days from the end of your current permit to stay at some offices.

Thank you velly big.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you know if the photos req need to be glossy or just printed out on normal A4 and how big. TX 

6 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Do you know if the photos req need to be glossy or just printed out on normal A4 and how big. TX 

It varies form office to office. Some want to be glossy and others with accept them them on plain paper.

They will accept 6 X 4" photos. I print mine on glossy photo paper with two 5 X 7" photos one each page since IMO they look better.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I did a renewal of extension for marriage at Chiangmai yesterday. I took the relevant glossy prints but also included in each set of documents an A4 sheet of ordinary paper with the photos arranged  on it. The IO (a captain no less) handed back the glossy prints and kept the A4 sheets. The size was 4"X6".

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I've just submitted mine and printed all 4 on 1 A4 piece of photo paper then cit them out and put 2 each on single regular A4 pieces of paper

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I've always submitted colour (not glossy) 2 (7x5) per A4 page, so 4 on 2 sheets and they have never been questioned or refused.