Permanent thai visa?

Hi, I need some advice about what to do regarding this topic. I am from Sweden and have since not too long a thai girlfriend and she is now also pregnant. We are gonna have the baby here in Thailand but how can I stay here for a longer time? Do I have to go out and in every month or is it a way to get a more permanent Visa? 

Grateful for all you help!

Best regards

Taken from Police Order dealing with 12 month extensions of stay.

2.18 In the case of a family 

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child 

of his/her spouse): 

Permission will be 

granted for a period of 

not more than 1 year at a time. 

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM) 

(2) Proof of family relationship 

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de 

jure (legitimate) and de facto; 

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or 

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year. 

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis. 

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year. 

Edited by fishtank

You get a single or multiple entry non-o visa that allows you to stay for 90 days.

You can get the above extension mentioned above but you will need legitimize your parenthood after the child is born at the family court to apply for it.

• Like 2

Om 35.

Ok, I need to become rich then! ????

Well, it was not really planned that we would have kids since my gf was said that she had very little chance of getting pregnant due to a tumor she had, seems like she definitely could get pregnant!

Anyway, it is how it is so I have to make do the best of the situation and find the best solutions. 

400000 baht is definitely not something I have or an income of 40000 baht but i Guess I will have to get an income somehow...

Ok, thanks for your answers everyone!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cristiancjb said:

400000 baht is definitely not something I have or an income of 40000 baht but i Guess I will have to get an income somehow...

What are your plans in regards to supporting the baby and mother in terms of the costs of medical care, infancy and early education? There is a welfare system here but is limited and incomparable to what you may be familiar with from Sweden.

Very little chance of becoming pregnant, does NOT equal no chance as you well know now.

I am assuming you are past the teenage years.

Condoms are available, and would also give some protection against STIs as well as pregnancy

You will need to investigate how you will meet your financial obligations to your partner and your expected child

Some men horrify me with their lack of maturity.

Good luck to your partner and child

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

so you dont have neither an income nor money on the bank. you are toast. you will not be allowed to stay most likely. IF you can stay its a three month visa for you, you have to get a new visa outside Thailand every three months for the rest of your life in Thailand. If you are not lucky, you will get a tourist visa for two months. This is Thailand, not Europe or America.

Well, I have no long term plan since everything is so complicated and don't wanted to be separated with my gf and the baby. As of now, I have a little money saved and will go to Sweden now and find some work a couple of months so that at least I can last longer here in Thailand without having to leave for Sweden. On my return to Thailand I will have to find job somehow or otherwise stay in Thailand as long as I can and then return again to Sweden to work and get more money...

8 minutes ago, Cristiancjb said:

As of now, I have a little money saved and will go to Sweden now and find some work a couple of months so that at least I can last longer here in Thailand without having to leave for Sweden.

I suggest you make a budget. You may find pregnancy, birth and child-rearing costs higher than expected though.

On my return to Thailand I will have to find job somehow

You can earn perhaps 40,000 Baht a month in a language school.

otherwise stay in Thailand as long as I can and then return again to Sweden to work and get more money...

Again budget required, long term this time. It is not a good idea to run your money down to nothing then "find some work a couple of months" as financial emergencies can crop up.

Please note you can get visas that allow you to stay for 90 days at a time after your child is born and your parenthood is legitimised without financial proof. This may be better for you.

Edited by Briggsy

6 minutes ago, Cristiancjb said:

Well, I have no long term plan since everything is so complicated and don't wanted to be separated with my gf and the baby. As of now, I have a little money saved and will go to Sweden now and find some work a couple of months so that at least I can last longer here in Thailand without having to leave for Sweden. On my return to Thailand I will have to find job somehow or otherwise stay in Thailand as long as I can and then return again to Sweden to work and get more money...

Good luck  for the  future

7 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I suggest you make a budget. You may find pregnancy, birth and child-rearing costs higher than expected though.

You can earn perhaps 40,000 Baht a month in a language school.

Again budget required, long term this time. It is not a good idea to run your money down to nothing then "find some work a couple of months" as financial emergencies can crop up.

Please note you can get visas that allow you stay for 90 days at a time after your child is born and your parenthood is legitimised without financial proof. This may be better for you.

Yes I will seek a solution that works even if that is the last thing I do. Thanks for your advice

I think you need to start making plans for yourself, your girlfriend, and new child, if you are in fact the father, to be moving to Sweden. 

Be prepared for her to object, and to suggest she and the child stay in Thailand, and you send month every month. 

You, she, and baby, will holiday regularly to Thailand, but if you want any type of future for your child, you should insist that is in Sweden, and not in Thailand.  

Good luck with it.  I do not envy your situation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Be creative and learn a way to make a living online. 

Still technically illegal with work permit, especially if they ask gf how survive financially and she states online work

2 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

Well, it was not really planned that we would have kids since my gf was said that she had very little chance of getting pregnant due to a tumor she had, seems like she definitely could get pregnant! 

they always say that, all of them because they want to catch a potential walking ATM

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

go back to Sweden, get a job and send 10,000 baht a month for the kid.

maybe she can join you some day.

Or have another kid to another foreigner and get 20,000 a month.  ????

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

Taken from Police Order dealing with 12 month extensions of stay.

2.18 In the case of a family 

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child 

of his/her spouse): 

Permission will be 

granted for a period of 

not more than 1 year at a time. 

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM) 

(2) Proof of family relationship 

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de 

jure (legitimate) and de facto; 

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or 

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year. 

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis. 

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year. 

What if a foreign woman is married to a Thai man? Is there still an income requirement?

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

Still technically illegal with work permit, especially if they ask gf how survive financially and she states online work

Still better than leaving the family alone. I'm one of those children that was left alone with the mother... Also there is way to make this legally: https://iglu.net/thailand-business-visa-and-work-permit-process-with-iglu/

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

Marry her, register the marriage and take her back to Sweden, if she will go. 

If you have the finances to support her in Thailand you can get a Visa based on having a Thai dependent, but it sounds like you do not. You have been somewhat irresponsible and now need to be different.

12 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Still better than leaving the family alone. I'm one of those children that was left alone with the mother... Also there is way to make this legally: https://iglu.net/thailand-business-visa-and-work-permit-process-with-iglu/

Agree.  Men and women tend to be better at handling different types of situations, so you need both.  

But, he's not rich, and the overhead costs of Iglu are insane.  Unless/until there is any enforcement of people doing work regarding foreign businesses (no Thais involved) via an internet connection, no reason to worry.  But don't join FB groups and brag about it - let those guys be the canary in the coal mine who go down first, if the policy changes.

14 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Make sure she knows better - if she wants him to continue to support her.  Her answer should be, "He takes money out of an ATM machine.  We are doing fine.  He is a good man."

13 hours ago, Dnyy said:

What if a foreign woman is married to a Thai man? Is there still an income requirement?

Not for her.  I think he may need to show he has some income.

-------------------------

@Cristiancjb

Since you have knocked her up, I don't see why not to marry her here in Thailand.  And I am not just being "old fashioned" (though I generally am) - it is also a practical matter.  If married, you can get a 1-Year Non-O-ME Visa from a consulate nearby - no financial-limits involved.  You can stay 90-days on each entry, and each of those can be extended by 60-days at immigration.

Also, if you need to go to Sweden to work and return, there will be no drama at the airport w/ Immigration for "coming to Thailand too much/often."

• Like 2

Moving your girlfriend and baby to Sweden will give much better educational opportunities to the child, and you will be able to earn a LOT more money there. Just be prepared after a few months for the girlfriend to be wanting to go back home, she will almost certainly want an arrangement whereby you send her money every month, and with you not there, there is also the distinct possibility that she could meet someone else. You might struggle to get a Swedish visa for her also.

With you not having even 400k baht to your name, moving to Thailand is never going to work. There are a few jobs for people with certain skills, and some for native English speakers. Salary will likely be poor, if you can find work at all. If you don't have a degree, have little money, then you don't have a lot of hope.

If you're good with computers, you could possibly earn money online whilst living in Thailand, but this is technically illegal, and without any substantial finances, you're going to be struggling to get a proper visa and will be relying on tourist visas, after a few entries you could end up being refused entry.