Retirement renewal for 84 year old in Chiang Mai

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I prefer a quiet life without angst and hence have used an agent for the past ten years. Part of the cost of living in Thailand

So is keeping 800k in the bank, no worries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, legend49 said:

My experiences with CNX IMO is what they tell  you today is forgotten tomorrow. Try again at a different time in the hope the IO is eating.

The IO doesn't even have to be eating.  He wouldn't even remember the applicant, let alone what he said to him the day before.  ????

17 hours ago, smedly said:

That is generally for people who do not meet the current rules and are bypassing them with bribes, an example would be not having the funds in the bank or the 65k a month transfers

Since the OP does in fact meet the "new" requirements he can still use an agent (as many do) for about 4k baht simply to avoid doing the application themselves 

I find it quite shocking that a major IO such as CM do not know or understand the now implemented (since 1st March) new laws, maybe a call to the Immigration help/complaints line to report this might be a good idea

the agents i know do not like CM IO either

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

It looks like Chiang Mai Immigration, is going to continue to uphold their reputation as the worst immigration office in Thailand.  If westerners want to live in Chiang Mai, it is probably a good idea to hire a visa agency.  These agents will make sure all the required documents are in order, make the appointment for you, drive you to the immigration office, and you will not be required to even speak to an immigration officer.

In addition, the agents will remind you when your nonsensical 90 day report is due, and will submit the TM forms for you.  I have read many comments from posters on this site accusing visa agencies of illegally obtaining visa extensions for westerners.  Since I have started using a visa agent, I have never seen nor heard of them doing anything illegal. 

CM Immigration should be ashamed of themselves for putting an 84 year old man through this nonsense.  Incidents like this show the contempt immigration has for westerners. 

CM is not the paradise it once was.  what are they thinking?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

It is really too bad immigration is treating the westerners this way.  I feel for you.  I have read so many stupid comments about how great immigration officers are and how they want western retirees in this country.  

Even today, I read posts about all you have to do is deposit 800,000 baht in a Thai bank, and immigration will allow you to stay in this country for another year of 90 day reports, and TM forms, lol.   

Anyway, I wish you well.  More people should share their negative experiences regarding their immigration visits.  

sorry to hear of this.  i will be in the same position and will have to come back in on tourist visa to complete the seasoning process.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Who holds these immigration offices to account?

Is this corruption or just not doing their job properly. There must be somewhere to complain about this.

Nobody.

Make it up as they go.

Not doing their job correctly, The usual general incompetence, totally clueless + maybe a bit of corruption thrown in.

[after agent money]

Call 1178. immigration hotline,   Sorted.  

In the unlikely event that doesn't work use an agent. Thats what they were invented for.

Chiang Mai buddy,  Assist thai visa, OS thai visa, Tian visa, Star visa service Probably others.

No need to start again.

• Like 2

I also will be in the same position. My current extension is expired in the middle of July (so then it is 2 months and one week from now) but I was only going to deposit 800 000. If CMI really claims 3 months of fund seasoning I just will move from CM to another province. 

If I were you, I would go to Chiang Rai, find the cheapest apartament for 5000, sign the rental contract for 1 or 3 months, then go to Chiang Rai IO for changing adress and after that apply for the retirement extension in chiang rai. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yodsak said:

agent route easier, cheaper.

From what I understood agent services will cost 20 000 in this (absurd and unfair) case 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, malibukid said:

sorry to hear of this.  i will be in the same position and will have to come back in on tourist visa to complete the seasoning process.

So sad for you, and unnecessary.  Good luck to all of you trying to stay here.  Got to ask Why the sacrifice?  Are there NO other options left on this planet? Thailand must be better than heaven the way folks are fighting with everything they got to stay.  I bet even the dead think it's better than the after life no matter your religion. LOL

• Like 1

I am at CM IO now. The officer just told that 3 months of seasoning are needed for my next extension, 2 only for first time. Senseless to argue with them.

Could anybody confirm that Chiang Rai Immigration office really applies 2+3 months rule? 

Or **** them all and I am moving to Cambodia as I got 1 year Cambo business visa recently... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, blanes2007 said:

I am at CM IO now. The officer just told that 3 months of seasoning are needed for my next extension, 2 only for first time. Senseless to argue with them.

Could anybody confirm that Chiang Rai Immigration office really applies 2+3 months rule? 

Or **** them all and I am moving to Cambodia as I got 1 year Cambo business visa recently... 

Yes, some offices are requiring 3 months seasoning for repeat extension applications. Erroneously! But is it really such a deal breaker for you?

Are they also requiring 3 months post-application? If so, that requirement came in the same regulation that changed all the seasoning to 2 months, but they didn't read that bit!

Edited by jacko45k

On 5/10/2019 at 3:18 PM, blanes2007 said:

Some offices are requiring 2 months pre, and 3 months post.

Other offices are requiring 3 month pre, 2 months post.

No one knows where they stand. 

Just do 3 months pre, and 3 months post.

Unfortunately, that means you can only access 400k of your own money for 3 months of the year, before you have to deposit up to 800k, and start the process all over again.  

I can see how a $300USD multi entry business visa for Cambodia is an attractive option.   

• Like 1

Been following many discussions here about the changes, and people whining and complaining, and IMO there´s massive trolling taking place..

I don´t complain, I have always followed the rules and had the needed cash or transfer to show. If people don´t comply, and don´t have the dough, then find somewhere else to live, instead of trolling this forum like crying babies, what is wrong with you all??

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Your profile list a birth date of 10/10/1963, Something doesn't make sense . The title says 84

Perhaps he chose not put his real date of birth when he did his profile.

42 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

Been following many discussions here about the changes, and people whining and complaining, and IMO there´s massive trolling taking place..

I don´t complain, I have always followed the rules and had the needed cash or transfer to show. If people don´t comply, and don´t have the dough, then find somewhere else to live, instead of trolling this forum like crying babies, what is wrong with you all??

I can't speak for others, but I'm not complaining, nor am I crying. 

I'm prepared to leave to Vietnam, if the agents cease to be able to get around the new laws. (never needed to use an agent before)  It's no big deal for me.  I have even picked out the condo block.

Unlike yourself, I do have some compassion for the older foreigner folk living in Thailand, that these new visa laws have placed some considerable financial stress upon.  

Many have been here for 10, 15, 20 years.  Their retirement money was worth more back then, not only to themselves, but also to Thailand. Now, it's as if Thailand seeks to displace them.

Then, there are those under 50 living here on tourists visas and a passive income, many of whom have kids.  I could only imagine the stress of worrying about a little sticker in a passport determining whether or not you can be with your kids.   

Anyway, one certainty in Thailand is that Thailand is uncertain, and who knows, maybe in the future you will be the one complaining, whining, and crying. 

One can never say never, in Thailand.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 5/12/2019 at 10:01 PM, sirocco said:

Maybe he wanted to write 1936 and does he think we are in 2020?
It seems that, the older we are, the more we think that time passes faster.
Well, here we are dealing with a serious case.

Yo can't doubt the circumstances as reported by the OP, though.

Many similar reports on TV.

Just no uniformity and consistency across the immigration offices in Thailand.  Quite laughable, really.

• Confused 2

A very crafty visa agent was able to convince immigration to extend the retirement visa as a dependant on the 55 year old son's retirement visa. 3,000 baht to the visa agent avoided tens of thousands of baht to travel to a border and or a consulate. I'm so grateful that we did not have to make the trip in the heat. I now know the three month requirement, before and after per the agent.

Interesting note that as a dependent the 800,000 was not required but is required for the son's retirement visa that the visa is linked to.

PM me for contact info as I don't know if forum rules allow me to post her contact info and prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, niebla said:

A very crafty visa agent was able to convince immigration to extend the retirement visa as a dependant on the 55 year old son's retirement visa.

No convincing needed since it is shown in the police order. Just knowing about it is the problem.

From clause 2.20 of the police order.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

15 hours ago, niebla said:

A very crafty visa agent was able to convince immigration to extend the retirement visa as a dependant on the 55 year old son's retirement visa. 3,000 baht to the visa agent avoided tens of thousands of baht to travel to a border and or a consulate. I'm so grateful that we did not have to make the trip in the heat. I now know the three month requirement, before and after per the agent.

Interesting note that as a dependent the 800,000 was not required but is required for the son's retirement visa that the visa is linked to.

PM me for contact info as I don't know if forum rules allow me to post her contact info and prices.

So what did the visa agent do other than being a translator to the immigration officer?

Yours is in a unique situation where both son and father are on retirement visas.

You actually only lost 1100 baht because you saved 1900 baht on visa fees for your father.

It would have been better if communication have been better earlier on that your father can be a dependent.

Edited by EricTh

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No convincing needed since it is shown in the police order. Just knowing about it is the problem.

From clause 2.20 of the police order.

"(5) In the case of parents, the father or mother must be 50 years of age or over."

Can children be dependent of the retiree? And what is the age range for the children who is under 50?

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Can children be dependent of the retiree? And what is the age range for the children who is under 50?

Yes

"(4) In the case of children, adopted children, or spouse’s children, said children, adopted children, or spouse’s children must not be married, must live with the alien as part of the family, and must not be over 20 years of age except in case of the person hereof is of illness or disability and cannot live without support of father or mother:"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 4:17 PM, wilailuk said:

Maybe they just want the IO's to follow the rules too. If you'd read the OP, the dough is not the problem; rather the IO won't obey the rules.

• Like 1