THAI to seek Cabinet approval  for acquiring 38 new planes

webfact

13 hours ago, bluejets said:

Brisbane flight cost is about $100 more than Sydney now.

Asked the Brisbane office about why, given the route length is shorter, but they had no comment except that's they way it is.

Also flights in and out of Brisbane now down to 4 per week.

Takes a bit of shuffling on departure/arrival days to get the full 30 days in Thailand.

As far as being expensive, 2008 cost me almost double. 

Also does not seem to be any other that comes close given direct flight.

Probably more competition SYD -BKK hence different fares.

To me the notion of a fleet upgrade at this point in time seems ideal.

Thai still has on active registration some 10 744-4Ds, the oldest of which has its MSN dated to late 1993 and the newest MSN dated to late 2003 - so at best the 744 line is 15 years old to at worst 25 years old. Given the maintenance cycle costs and the sheer operating economics of this fleet age, I can see a very valid reason for replacement.

Next, looking to the 772 line, here too age is a factor. The oldest dates back to early 1996.

So right there I can see an CASM argument being made for replacement of these frames.

Where I think Thai is on the bubble might be the status of their A333 line... they date from 2009 up to 2013.

So I think a case can be made pretty strongly for the older frames to go, but less so for the newer frames.

On the capacity side, Thais 744s have a capacity just under 400 in a FCY.. but... I think the long term trend is going away from running a true F cabin and moving to a more C/PE/Y config... so I could see a case being made for the 744s to go and replaced with 773s and config them with 300+/- in traditional Y, a smallish mid cabin PE of maybe 15+/- and the balance; some 35-40 in traditional C seats ... the net capacity loss against the 744 would be minimal IMHO, and i suspect the CASM would be considerably lower- not to mention reliability.

For the A333s I think the comparable would have to be the smaller 788... and in doing so could shrink their fleet mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Anybody can post a link stating that Thai has dropped

the baggage from 30 to 20KG

Return flights from Australia to Bangkok are still listed

as 30 KG

Had notification on last booking two weeks ago economy on Thai from Syd to BKK now 20kgs.

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Had notification on last booking two weeks ago economy on Thai from Syd to BKK now 20kgs.

In common with many airlines including Emirates. Almost all airlines now charge for seat selection in Economy on the cheaper fares; TG merely keep the riff-raff in the cheaper Economy seats down the back

1 hour ago, White Christmas13 said:

OK thanks because it still is listed as 30 kg on they're website 

TG changed from 30 Kg to 20 Kg on 1 April 2019, but only for the lowest economy fare buckets. L/V/W (maybe called Saver, or Super Saver in their booking system). Their baggage surcharge fees are quite high, often more than the 30Kg fare delta, but this depends on route and distance, and city-pair.

Australian regulators may have their own rules, for flights from OZ, so this change may not affect any fares for OZ-THL-OZ?

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

It's confusing I don't want to pack 30 kg and get charged for 10 kg extra

because I book online and there is no information about the new rules

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

It's confusing I don't want to pack 30 kg and get charged for 10 kg extra

because I book online and there is no information about the new rules

Ring the airline direct.

Give them you farecode

Ask baggage allowance 

or email Enquiry 

can only relay what I was notified by text msg