Good news for cigarette smokers - less so for those who roll their own

webfact

Good news for cigarette smokers - less so for those who roll their own

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Smokers of regular cigarettes received some good news yesterday when the government decided to delay plans to increase tax by 40% on cigarettes costing around 60 baht a pack. 

The measures would have seen a pack of 20 costing a minimum of 90 -100 baht reported Daily News. 

The increase has been delayed from this October to October 2020.

Meanwhile the government has decided to increase the tax on loose rolling tobacco by twenty times. 

This comes as many people have decided to switch to rolling their own as prices for regular cigarettes go through the roof. 

In a move that Daily News said was part of concerns for public health the tax on rolling tobacco will go up from 0.005 baht per gram to 0.1 baht per gram. 

The government felt that the disparity in tax between regular cigarettes and loose tobacco was too much. 

The move to delay increasing the tax on regular cigarettes is designed to protect the tobacco industry from the impact of price rises in the market and give the industry more time to prepare. 

Thaivisa notes that in this regard the government seems to have put the demands of the industry over their stated aim to bring down the number of smokers and improve the Thais' health as a result. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-08

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that in this regard the government seems to have put the demands of the industry over their stated aim to bring down the number of smokers and improve the Thais' health as a result. 

If this were in any way true, the government would remove the ban on vaping which the NHS (UK) regard as 95% safer than smoking.

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

Money first? In Thailand? Surely not?

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

If this were in any way true, the government would remove the ban on vaping which the NHS (UK) regard as 95% safer than smoking.

When the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has its vaping products ready for market, I am sure the government will suddenly see the light.

Just now, darksidedog said:

When the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly has its vaping products ready for market, I am sure the government will suddenly see the light.

Can't come soon enough for me. I really need to kick the habit for health reasons. Tried vaping when back in the UK, seemed the ideal means of making the transition to me.

4 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If only we had an alternative to cigarettes that is more healthy and electronic. 

Try breathing fresh air? works for me ???? 

Try breathing fresh air? works for me [emoji846] 
Bullshit advice. Thanks for your wisdom.

If they had the health of people in mind they would subsidize ecigs and forbid tobacco junk.

And fix the smog issue... Of course no one cares. Screenshot_20190508_093241_com.airvisual.jpg

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The guvmint haven't figured out a way to control and tax vaping yet

Try to buy a packet of ciggies in Oz and see how much it will cost ya, equivalent of 700+ baht here, i love smoking, i have smoked for 50 years, cigarettes, cigars and pipe, alas,  a pleasure i can't afford to continue, too risky...

2 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

The guvmint haven't figured out a way to control and tax vaping yet

Could be the size of the cloud vaping puts out....????

Was out with my chum who had a vaping thingy.....How bloody embarrassing, the venue ended up reminding me of the smog in London when I was a kid...????

43 minutes ago, CGW said:

Try breathing fresh air? works for me ???? 

you are obviously not in Thailand 

For those none smokers that think passive smoke is harmful, take a long hard look at what you breath into your body from normal air in Thailand - I know what I would be complaining about and it isn't passive cigarette smoke

and a 40% increase is ridiculous on top of the recent huge increases

38 minutes ago, faraday said:

Great move, increase taxation on the people with the lowest income!

agree

I think the reason for this is the recent report on household debt, hammering poor people is the last thing they want to do right now

Could be the size of the cloud vaping puts out....[emoji1787]

Was out with my chum who had a vaping thingy.....How bloody embarrassing, the venue ended up reminding me of the smog in London when I was a kid...[emoji54]
Mouth to lung vaping devices have smaller clouds than cigarettes. Also the second hand smoke isn't dangerous.

Your buddy is just an <deleted>, same rules for vaping than for cigarettes. Don't annoy other people with your shit.

56 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Can't come soon enough for me. I really need to kick the habit for health reasons. Tried vaping when back in the UK, seemed the ideal means of making the transition to me.

"Anyone can quit smoking, it takes a man to live with cancer".

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

you are obviously not in Thailand 

Surprisingly enough I am, the air quality where I am has been good for the past few weeks - they ran out of combustible materials I guess!

PM 2.5 been reading < 10 today after a bit of rain last night.

47 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

If they had the health of people in mind they would subsidize ecigs and forbid tobacco junk.

Do you really think that vaping is as safe as the "sellers" make out? great selling point for now, but there is no scientific data to support this "fact.

They appear to have resurrected the old advertising campaign that used to tell us smoking was safe!

I know what your reply is going to be ???? you want to hold onto "its safe" for as long as possible & I understand - just prepare for disappointment in the meantime enjoy  ???? 

"There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term."

Do you really think that vaping is as safe as the "sellers" make out? great selling point for now, but there is no scientific data to support this "fact.
They appear to have resurrected the old advertising campaign that used to tell us smoking was safe!
I know what your reply is going to be [emoji848] you want to hold onto "its safe" for as long as possible & I understand - just prepare for disappointment in the meantime enjoy  [emoji846] 
"There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term."
Tons of scientific data about vaping: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vaping-in-england-an-evidence-update-february-2019

I don't give a damn what sellers advertise with and i am not getting into a discussion here about science that's obvious and supported by all western scientists.

I <deleted> hate people smoking tobacco next to me so i wish they could just vape and not bother me.
But i am not blaming them here for smoking cigs as vaping will bring them into jail or at least trouble with the cops.

1 minute ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Tons of scientific data about vaping: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vaping-in-england-an-evidence-update-february-2019

I don't give a damn what sellers advertise with and i am not getting into a discussion here about science that's obvious and supported by all western scientists.

I <deleted> hate people smoking tobacco next to me so i wish they could just vape and not bother me.
But i am not blaming them here for smoking cigs as vaping will bring them into jail or at least trouble with the cops.

Sorry but Vape stuff has a smell...Unless my chum is a naughty weed smoker... ????

Sorry but Vape stuff has a smell...Unless my chum is a naughty weed smoker... [emoji54]
Vape is water steam with food aroma.

I couldn't care less if something smells like mango or watermelon.

How you can even compare it to burnt cancer causing tobacco is beyond me.
Burnt tobacco smells just disgusting.

6 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Vape is water steam with food aroma.

I couldn't care less if something smells like mango or watermelon.

How you can even compare it to burnt cancer causing tobacco is beyond me.
Burnt tobacco smells just disgusting.

Is that what you Mrs smokes.....????

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/3/28/18277658/vaping-health-effects-vs-smoking

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the government has decided to increase the tax on loose rolling tobacco by twenty times.

That's bad, I like those 5baht bags they sell. Better stock up  before the tax hike.

You are a clever one, aren't you? Maybe you should be an advisor for the thai government. A toptier scientist has been lost on you.

To quote your own article:

"The new evidence doesn’t mean cigarettes are safer than e-cigarettes. In fact, medical experts agree that vaping is far better for health than smoking, one of the deadliest habits known to humankind. (And that message about relative risk appears to be getting lost, as more and more people erroneously believe e-cigarettes are as or more dangerous than tobacco.)"

But as said already, not going into deep discussions with narrow-minded people that lack reading comprehension.

Archived