How long has having to have a medical been inforce

Just had a call from friend who had tried to get his 1 year retirement visa in Kamphaeng Phet Imm: office. Was told they cant do it as he needs a medical from local hospital. Everything he had correct paperwork ETC also over 2mil: bt in the bank for over 6 months. Was told to go back Friday to sort it out. Question has anyone else had to do a medical at other I/O As I have never heard of it before.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It not required according to the official rules.

Only a few rouge offices require a medical certificate. Many will accept one from a clinic like the one needed for drivers license. 

Thank you for your swift reply. I thought it was a lot of rubbish. Have a feeling that she didn't want to do it today so made up some excuse.

He was going to get a full medical anyway in a few days so not the end of the world for him. Just a pain in the Butt.

• Like 1

If you obtain a retirement visa abroad, as I looked at in the UK, you have to have a doctors certificate stating you don't have about 10 ridiculous diseases!! Here in Kan needed med cert for 5 years. 50 baht at private hospital. Don't even take your BP!!!

Edited by DPKANKAN
Spelling
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

If you obtain a retirement visa abroad, as I looked at in the UK, you have to have a doctors certificate stating you don't have about 10 ridiculous diseases!! Here in Kan needed med cert for 5 years. 50 baht at private hospital. Don't even take your BP!!!

"Don't even take your BP!!!"

My goodness, I went to my local clinic to ask my doctor to witness my signature on a UK Pension Life Certificate (he refused!) and they insisted on taking my BP first despite my protestations. I tell you, if you used my clinic to have your BP taken, they'd take your BP first!

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

20 years ago a medical certificate was a  requirement, but it has not been needed for a long time now.

This sounds like the "Seasoned money for 3 months" rule going to 2-months with the new rules for subsequent extensions, but some offices still insisting on 3 months anyway.  

Any changes which make applications less of a PITA shall be ignored if an office so chooses - even if the rule was removed 20 years ago.  But rules that make things more of a PITA go into force straight-away.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

if you want to know insulting a certain hospital in bkk refused to let me have a medical for employment purposes unless I accepted a number of vaccinations, deworming medicine, delouse agent applied etc.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SEtonal said:

There was a thread last month on which locations required a medical certificate for retirement extension renewals.   Kanchanaburi, Samui, and Amnat Charoen were mentioned.

Koh Samui IO have requested medical Certificate for my Retirement Extension for last 2 years....they also told me it had to be done at the Government Hospital in Nathon.

That involved blood tests, Xray, etc., plus interview with a doctor...Took all day as had to wait for results and cost 750 Thb.

I hear now they are still requesting medical certs, but can be done at private hospital, no Xray or blood tests.....Takes 10 mins and fee 250 Thb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

"Don't even take your BP!!!"

My goodness, I went to my local clinic to ask my doctor to witness my signature on a UK Pension Life Certificate (he refused!) and they insisted on taking my BP first despite my protestations. I tell you, if you used my clinic to have your BP taken, they'd take your BP first!

Too many TLA’s on this forum. What is BP?

22 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Question has anyone else had to do a medical at other I/O As I have never heard of it before.

3-4 years now at Samui, i.e. Surat Thani Immigration, and must be from a hospital, and less than one week old, clinics are not accepted.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
5 hours ago, Chicken George said:

So has anyone been refused a Visa based on a medical?

Not that I am aware of.

I also been wondering about that, what happens if I don't pass clause 4 in the medical check (I'm not afraid of 1-3, and yes, it's my certificate)...????

2018_health-check.jpg.6874fe23135039e644

On 5/9/2019 at 8:12 AM, Farang99 said:

20 years ago a medical certificate was a  requirement, but it has not been needed for a long time now.

Been here 22 years and never had to have a medical certificate. 

On 5/9/2019 at 11:50 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

What’s TLA ?

Three Letter Acronym (or Abbreviation).

Off-topic ramble.

Waaay back in my RN days equipment TLA was a "Telegraph Literaliser Outfit" (I know, I know, outfit begins with an O). The TLA took the plain text of a message and converted it into the groups of five letters beloved of all the old spy movies. These then went to another equipment to be actually encrypted (to other groups of 5 letters) before being transmitted. 

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Three Letter Acronym (or Abbreviation).

Off-topic ramble.

Waaay back in my RN days equipment TLA was a "Telegraph Literaliser Outfit" (I know, I know, outfit begins with an O). The TLA took the plain text of a message and converted it into the groups of five letters beloved of all the old spy movies. These then went to another equipment to be actually encrypted (to other groups of 5 letters) before being transmitted. 

What’s RN ??
Only joking [emoji854]

• Haha 2