Conversion of SETV to retirement visa.

Holding a SETV with two weeks left of a month extension.

Can this be converted to a full years retirement visa by an agent,or showing the funds and going to local immigration, without first having to go to the consulate in Laos and applying for the non 0.

Also could a thirty day entry stamp with a week or so left also be converted to a years retirement with appropiate greasing of wheels or funding?

Edited by sapson

To apply for a change of visa status to get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry you must have at least 15 days remaining on the 30 extension of your 60 day entry from the tourist visa.

General requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Since you apparently do not have the 15 days remaining you could do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and then apply the the non immigrant visa.

It requires about two weeks to get visa issued and then during the last 30 day of the 90 day entry you could apply for the one year extension.

If you are using the agent route do they still need these time periods left on the tourist visa extension or 30 day entry? perhaps a private message would be better.

Edited by sapson

9 minutes ago, sapson said:

If you are using the agent route do they still need these time periods left on the tourist visa extension or 30 day entry?

The 15 days is to allow enough time for the visa application to approved at the division level of immigration. Which normally takes about two weeks. At some offices they want longer than 15 days remaining on your entry.

Thanks i had wrongly thought with an agent you would satisfy his/her requirements and handover your passport, nothing more no faffing about etc and collect your one years extension a  few days later.............seemingly not the case?

17 minutes ago, sapson said:

Thanks i had wrongly thought with an agent you would satisfy his/her requirements and handover your passport, nothing more no faffing about etc and collect your one years extension a  few days later.............seemingly not the case?

No, that is not the case.  Depending on your circumstances, a 90-day Non-Immigrant O visa based on retirement can at times be somewhat challenging to obtain.  You are probably thinking of the next step in the process, the 1-year extension based on retirement.

1 hour ago, sapson said:

If you are using the agent route do they still need these time periods left on the tourist visa extension or 30 day entry? perhaps a private message would be better.

Yes, unless the agent has some kind of arrangement to get around the application process.

If applying direct at immigration to change to the non O visa, do you produce the evidence of income or funds at the initial stage or only at the end of 90 days when requesting the years extension?

If applying using an agent are you without your passport for a couple of weeks until it is returned with the initial 90 days plus 1 year extension.

3 hours ago, sapson said:

If applying direct at immigration to change to the non O visa, do you produce the evidence of income or funds at the initial stage or only at the end of 90 days when requesting the years extension?

Both.

3 hours ago, sapson said:

If applying using an agent are you without your passport for a couple of weeks until it is returned with the initial 90 days plus 1 year extension.

If the agent can bypass the procedure (at a cost) then usually just a couple of days.

You could always do a border run and get a 30 day visa exempt entry for more time.

When you convert your tourist visa to a non O visa for retirement at the local immigration office or via an agent.

Do you actually receive in the passport a blue coloured full page non o visa, as if you had applied at at a Thai consulate? or is it just an extension stamp for 90 days ....followed by the full year extension stamp.?

Thanks 

7 minutes ago, sapson said:

Do you actually receive in the passport a blue coloured full page non o visa, as if you had applied at at a Thai consulate?

They do a non immigrant visa stamp that takes up about half a page and a 90 day entry stamp at the same time.

Thanks Joe, so you would be in and out without giving up your passport if applying direct and only through an agent would you actually be without your passport unless the whole 90 days and 1 year extension could be completed in one visit at a cost.

12 minutes ago, sapson said:

Thanks Joe, so you would be in and out without giving up your passport if applying direct and only through an agent would you actually be without your passport unless the whole 90 days and 1 year extension could be completed in one visit at a cost.

Immigration would not keep your passport.

The agent should not need it any longer than a day or 2.

16 minutes ago, sapson said:

Do you actually receive in the passport a blue coloured full page non o visa, as if you had applied at at a Thai consulate? or is it just an extension stamp for 90 days ....followed by the full year extension stamp.?

It's not a vignette such as an Embassy would issue.

It's a rubber inked stamp as Joe explained.

Step 1. Apply for the conversion from a VE or TV entry to a Non O, supplying all documents and financial proof. The application will be considered and can take up to two weeks to be approved.

Step 2. Return for the Non O stamp after your application is approved.

Step 3. Within the last 30 days of the 90 granted by the Non O, apply for the 1 year extension providing financials and documents again.

For the purpose of retirement, the extension is issued on the day of application provided your documents are in order. Immigration should not keep your passport at any stage.

Through an agent, they will keep your Passport for the duration, which is usually only 2/3 days, to get the Non O stamp and the 1 year extension, usually inclusive of a multi re-entry permit, almost simultaneously, but you should still have to accompany them to the IO for a face photo and I've heard of fees for this service ranging from 25 - 40K.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It's not a vignette such as an Embassy would issue.

It's a rubber inked stamp as Joe explained.

Step 1. Apply for the conversion from a VE or TV entry to a Non O, supplying all documents and financial proof. The application will be considered and can take up to two weeks to be approved.

Step 2. Return for the Non O stamp after your application is approved.

Step 3. Within the last 30 days of the 90 granted by the Non O, apply for the 1 year extension providing financials and documents again.

For the purpose of retirement, the extension is issued on the day of application provided your documents are in order. Immigration should not keep your passport at any stage.

Through an agent, they will keep your Passport for the duration, which is usually only 2/3 days, to get the Non O stamp and the 1 year extension, usually inclusive of a multi re-entry permit, almost simult from 25 - 40K.

Thanks! a great comprehensive reply.

Re the agent ..if they were connected to the internal workings as such ......I presume it could be turned around in a day if the wheels have been adequately lubricated.

43 minutes ago, sapson said:

Thanks! a great comprehensive reply.

Re the agent ..if they were connected to the internal workings as such ......I presume it could be turned around in a day if the wheels have been adequately lubricated.

From my personal knowledge it's a minimum of two days.

One for the Non O application, second day the extension application.

The stamps are issued a day apart from those I've personally witnessed.

Personally I would never use an agent for something I can do myself for a fraction of the cost.

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Personally I would never use an agent for something I can do myself for a fraction of the cost.

I agree, i am balancing options..........the availing myself of, unlocking funds etc in my personal circumstances could be just as costly, as well as a lot of hassle. in view of my current visa time restraints.........as paying for a service.

However the service does need to be stress free and simple, paying up but still having to jump through hoops is my concern..........but this is Thailand! I we shall see!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sapson said:

I agree, i am balancing options..........the availing myself of, unlocking funds etc in my personal circumstances could be just as costly, as well as a lot of hassle. in view of my current visa time restraints.........as paying for a service.

However the service does need to be stress free and simple, paying up but still having to jump through hoops is my concern..........but this is Thailand! I we shall see!

I don't buy into the 'hassle' and 'hoops' scenario portrayed by others.

It's a very simple process requiring copies of documents that should already be in your possession or can be downloaded and completed.

Going to the bank to obtain proof of finances and a letter is considered hassle?

Once you've gone through the procedure for the first time, it becomes easier thereafter because of the knowledge you obtain by doing it yourself.

• Like 1

Perhaps a kind soul knows?

What are the complete requirements for the initial 90 day Non 0 based on retirement, obtained from Savanakhet. for a British national.

Re financials is it 800k baht or equivalent in any bank anywhere ...with a simple bank statement from a day or so before travelling to Laos, does it matter how long the money was on the account etc.

What other documentation is requested.?

thanks

24 minutes ago, sapson said:

Perhaps a kind soul knows?

What are the complete requirements for the initial 90 day Non 0 based on retirement, obtained from Savanakhet. for a British national.

Re financials is it 800k baht or equivalent in any bank anywhere ...with a simple bank statement from a day or so before travelling to Laos, does it matter how long the money was on the account etc.

What other documentation is requested.?

thanks

You may have other options in your predicament, but although you've stated you are unmarried to your female partner, you stated you had two children.

Are the children yours and have you been legitimised as the legal father of those children.

Knowing those facts could help with the answers to the options you have available.

Have you considered marriage, which also changes the goalposts.

Edited by Tanoshi

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

ou may have other options in your predicament, but although you've stated you are unmarried to your female partner, you stated you had two children.

Are the children yours and have you been legalised as the father of those children

thanks but no i didnt state i had two kids lol..................not me.

Yes not married........and re previous as of this morning turns out nothing is simple re hassle free agent route .hence exploring options.

4 minutes ago, sapson said:

thanks but no i didnt state i had two kids lol..................not me.

Yes not married........and re previous as of this morning turns out nothing is simple re hassle free agent route .hence exploring options.

Apologies, I've just re-read to refresh my memory.

Is it a case of you need more time, or you don't have the required 800K.

I assume you are over 50 years of age.

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Is it a case of you need more time, or you don't have the required 800K.

I assume you are over 50 years of age.

I dont immediately want 800k dormant in a Thai bank account!

Also being gouged by an local agent to convert to a non O from a tourist visa is somewhat annoying.

Hence the possible option of converting to a non O in Savanakhet if i can meet the requirements.

Type O Non (retirement Office)

-Visa ( ask at the Consulate: loading from the Web, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or to download the App Download. .)
-Original passport with a copy.
-3 x 4 cm photos number 2 leaves.
-Certificate of retirement from the Embassy of the people who have citizenship.
-Certificate of financial status.
-A copy of the House registration of the person that the applicant reside?
-Copy of the passport of the person who request residence.
-The fees of 2,000 baht.

Still need 800K but can be in any bank.

A Tourist Visa + a 30 day extension could be an easier solution.

Edited by Tanoshi

Just now, Tanoshi said:
Type O Non (retirement Office)

-Visa ( ask at the Consulate: loading from the Web, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or to download the App Download. .)
-Original passport with a copy.
-3 x 4 cm photos number 2 leaves.
-Certificate of retirement from the Embassy of the people who have citizenship.
-Certificate of financial status.
-A copy of the House registration of the person that the applicant reside?
-Copy of the passport of the person who request residence.
-The fees of 2,000 baht.

Still need 800K but can be in any bank.

Or income letter from your embassy, which unfortunately UK and USA are no longer issuing.  So barring some different interpretations by some local official, doesn't seem like it is feasible to convert to O Non and use income method.   There are plenty of posts on retirement extension requirements going forward and showing monthly deposits for the entire year, but that comes later, but something to keep in mind if next extension you plan to use the income method.  Start deposits now!

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80