Possible To Convert Retirement Visa To Marriage Visa?

I am an American who has been residing in Thailand for more than four years on a retirement visa. I am legally married to a Thai gal and we have a son who was born in Bangkok. My current retirement visa extension is good until next Nov. 2. However, due to the depressing slump in the U.S. Dollar, and far too many medical expenses which have depleted my savings account in my Thai bank account, it would appear that the total of my Embassy certified, monthly, retirement income plus my Thai bank account balance will fall short of the required 800,000. Baht standard required for extending the retirement visa next time.

My question then is whether or not it is possible to convert the retirement visa to a spousal visa or whether it will be necessary to apply, as a new candidate, for a new visa - the spousal visa. If the latter is the case, can this be done from within the Kingdom? I did speak with Immigration in Jomtien and was told that I could 'obtain' the spousal visa in Jomtien (believe this could only be done previously only in Bangkok). Unfortunately, they were ambiguous regarding the conversion question. Any and all advice and information is greatly appreciated.

There should not be any visa required. You just change the reason for your extension of stay next time and apply with the wife and normal marriage type documents/proofs. Expect to return a month later at least one time as issue is not immediate as with retirement.