Thailand surf spots?

80sboy

I surf at home all the time but live in Cha Am during our home winter to get out of the cold. Obviously there is no surf on the Hua Him, Cha Am side of Thailand, how about the other side has anyone surfed there, where was best, what times of the year and how big is the swell? 

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

Best surf in Thailand is in indo, phillipines... ????

It seriosuly is worth a flight vs trying to find anything here. 

Yeah, there is some surf around Phuket but a cheap flight to Sumatra would seem more fruitful. Plenty of surfers on the move when I worked there. All of the surfers types at work raved about their R and R exploits.

am a lifelong shortboarder that lived on oahu for many years.

time i was at kau payam the conditions and wave were ok but too small to ride.  maybe longboard

has potential with a bigger swell

phuket kalim beach is likely the best spot i have tried in thailand. when conditions right sort of like a small day at velzyland

indo, sri lanka much better and not far

55 years surfing the globe so I know a thing or two about the ocean waves and where to get them. Phuket waves in surf (laugh) season are crap! Sumatra is the go ... close by with an hour hop fo0rm Singapore on Silk Air Sum's has epic river mouth and reef waves so numerous you can't count them. Its cheap[ to go there and cheap to stay right near the break you choose. Get of the plane in Padang, go straight to the nearest surf shop in town (there are a few) and ask to get hooked up with someone who can take you to a place to stay with the waves you like e.g. lefts or rights, fast slow hollow whatever and they'll hook you up easy peazy ????

don't know about Thailand but there's a nice right point break near Pelabuhanratu on the south coast of west Java and it's a bit of a chore to get there from Jakarta but the journey there is very scenic...but it's got nasty coral and I left a chunk off my left foot there about 25 years ago...surfers travel there for the break and stay in shacks by the beach but the accommodation in town is very nice...a sensational but cheap restaurant on a bluff overlooking the indian ocean with average food with cheap cabin accommodation available...

west coast Sumatra is nice from what I hear with many christian enclaves (batak places) not subjected to javanese muslim fundamentalist hooliganism that has been a problem recently...get yerself some pork BBQ and a bintang beer when ye get outta the water...('hey! let's go surfin'!!!' 'nah can't be bothered, anymore of that bintang left? where'd that girl last night say that she lived?')

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2019 at 12:19 PM, sexyman said:

Try Ko Phayam, I was there a few weeks ago and there was a nice wave about 3 feet. Best on mid tide and in the morning, with no wind. 

Thanks mate, will do!

On 5/11/2019 at 4:53 AM, tutsiwarrior said:

don't know about Thailand but there's a nice right point break near Pelabuhanratu on the south coast of west Java and it's a bit of a chore to get there from Jakarta but the journey there is very scenic...but it's got nasty coral and I left a chunk off my left foot there about 25 years ago...surfers travel there for the break and stay in shacks by the beach but the accommodation in town is very nice...a sensational but cheap restaurant on a bluff overlooking the indian ocean with average food with cheap cabin accommodation available...

west coast Sumatra is nice from what I hear with many christian enclaves (batak places) not subjected to javanese muslim fundamentalist hooliganism that has been a problem recently...get yerself some pork BBQ and a bintang beer when ye get outta the water...('hey! let's go surfin'!!!' 'nah can't be bothered, anymore of that bintang left? where'd that girl last night say that she lived?')

Cheers, I have surfed there plenty have fam in Makasar but just keen to learn about Thailand breaks. Ta 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 80sboy said:

Cheers, I have surfed there plenty have fam in Makasar but just keen to learn about Thailand breaks. Ta 

from what I've heard there is rideable surf on the andaman coast north of Phuket but the conditions havta be right, swell and direction, etc...otherwise most places it's just glorified wind chop and not worth the effort of paddling out...