buying a car on a tourist visa

Yes, however you might find that some immigration offices are not keen to issue certificates of residence if you're on a tourist visa but I think they can probably be persuaded if you tell them the reason. Take a Thai speaker with you.

The reason you want / require the certificate of residence is specified on the application form (it was when I last gone one anyway) so I suspect they know that all sorts of people including tourists buy vehicles, open bank accounts, buy condos, etc - things that require a certificate of residence.

3 hours ago, ruby1 said:

I just heard that the rule has changed 1 year ago and that you need an non o visa

The rule for what? Getting a certificate of residence?

I really doubt that is true. People come here on a tourist visa, open a bank account, deposit 800k and get a retirement extension.

Opening the bank account normally requires a certificate of residence. There are different reasons to get a certificate of residence.

The DLT don't care about your visa or immigration status, they just want a proof of address.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ruby1 said:

I just heard that the rule has changed 1 year ago and that you need an non o visa

Nonsense. As long as one can get a certificate of residence all is fine. Some offices will even give this on visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

OP, it would probably come down to the local DLT.  A Non-imm visa is technically a requirement for license/transfers etc but most will do without.

I transfered a vehicle in Pattaya recently and they wanted copy of stamp and extension page. 

Edited by Peterw42

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, it would probably come down to the local DLT.  A Non-imm visa is technically a requirement for license/transfers etc but most will do without.

I transfered a vehicle in Pattaya recently and they wanted copy of stamp and extension page. 

"A Non-imm visa is technically a requirement for license/transfers etc "

No, it is not, please don't make up information.

52 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"A Non-imm visa is technically a requirement for license/transfers etc "

No, it is not, please don't make up information.

Not making anything up, note point 2 from the DLT website, re requirements.

image.png.74086f2f80dd1452d9d7cca3a59198f2.png

On 5/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, Peterw42 said:

Not making anything up, note point 2 from the DLT website, re requirements.

image.png.74086f2f80dd1452d9d7cca3a59198f2.png

This is about getting converting a 2 year driving license to a 5 year driving license, not about registering a vehicle

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is about getting converting a 2 year driving license to a 5 year driving license, not about registering a vehicle

Its clipped straight from the 2 year license requirements page (and applies to 2-5 renewal) https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/.

Its still mentions a non-imm visa as a requirement (the poster I was responding to said not a requirement), they usually want the same pile of documents for license and transfers (except medicial certificate). 

Edited by Peterw42

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its clipped straight from the 2 year license requirements page (and applies to 2-5 renewal) https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/.

Its still mentions a non-imm visa as a requirement (the poster I was responding to said not a requirement), they usually want the same pile of documents for license and transfers (except medicial certificate). 

No, they don't want the same documents.

For registration no requirement at all for non-immigrant visa.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

No, they don't want the same documents.

For registration no requirement at all for non-immigrant visa.

In the past I would have agreed but I recently transferred a car into my name at Chonburi and for the first time (5-6 transfers) they specifically wanted a copy of stamp and extension page from passport. 

It could be just a one off for that day/office, or it may have had something to do with the shiny new photo copier the DLT was running and charging for copies. Or maybe something that DLT is starting to ask for.

17 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In the past I would have agreed but I recently transferred a car into my name at Chonburi and for the first time (5-6 transfers) they specifically wanted a copy of stamp and extension page from passport. 

It could be just a one off for that day/office, or it may have had something to do with the shiny new photo copier the DLT was running and charging for copies. Or maybe something that DLT is starting to ask for.

When this farang sold his Vigo to a Thai they wanted a copy of my PP page and the visa page....Really daft stuff...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, they may ask for that. But this is unrelated to your earlier statement 'non-immigrant visa required. They just wanted a copy of visa page + entry stamp, could also have been visa exempt entry.