"C'est moi! But I'm not a taxi driver" Frenchman tells Samui cops as Thais urged to rat on foreigners

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais were urged to report any foreigners taking Thai jobs by calling 191 or 07742 1907. 

191: that's the emergency/SOS/sometaxidriveriskillingmewithamachete-line...

Can foreigners use this also to report Thais not doing their job? Or will we be prosecuted for using a number reserved for Thai emergencies?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Nice witchhunt they started, that's always how it starts. 

I wouldn't want to be a foreigner of any kind living ob Samui. 

agree

That run would be 600/1,200 baht from any other car transport.

And it is hard getting them to come to Namuang. ‘Too far, too far’ goes the refrain.

200 baht for gas is high 50-100 is more likely, depending on load, but 200 baht is well below songchaw fees and they don’t go back streets down south and rarely to airport these days.

This is just a pissy fit from guys wanting every cent they can scrounge without providing much service.

15 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

Not just whiney Thai's either judging by the TV complaints brigade!!5555????????????????

It's become more and more and more complacent with Thai and the Thai government and Thai Police to become extremely petty being overly retentive towards foreigners. Foreigners totally helped shape this country.

Transport is a general concern on Samui from what I have seen and been told. Last time I was there, about two or three years ago, no taxis were running meters and the flag fall started at 300 baht. Back to the port on my way off the island, I walked across the road to a restaurant and got talking with the owner.

I mentioned the flag fall and I thought it was because I wasn't Thai. She explained that Thais get hit up with the 300 baht fee often and that I was lucky my starting fee wasn't higher.

I can understand the locals doing it tough in a closed economy of an island. Sort out the taxis, get more tourists there and the locals won't have time to call a hotline to dob in a non Thai. They will be too busy working.

4 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

If they were friends I wouldn't charge them anything. But then, I guess some people would even charge their families for a service.

Without knowing anything about this incident, all I can say is him giving his "friends" change for the transport, is a give away.

I thought the vidro showed a foreigner giving a thai money..irrelevant anyway, if a taxi wants 800 baht for a 10 minute journey, what's wrong with a foreigner taking them. Thais work for shit, are useless and want too much so fkuc them

6 hours ago, justin case said:

if there was GRAB or UBER, you would pay FAIR prices instead the extortion those pesky taxi drivers

Are you even in Thailand?

There is no UBER in Thailand and in Pattaya, most of times, GRAB is more expensive than the Taxi from the corner. 

Can you honestly believe it has come to this where they are sending a load of policemen to check on Koh Samui island about whether or not a foreigner is running a taxi service for the princely sum of 200 baht fuel money?

Have the cops got nothing better to do?

What about the drugs, gun crime, knife crime, thefts, taxi mafias, taxis refusing to open meters, blatant cheating and ripping off tourists??

Drivers who prefer to sleep all day in the hope of ripping off a few tourists instead of being honest and proactive in chasing business and working and acting ethically.

What a pathetically sad state of affairs.

Drum roll.......let's wait for the obligatory 500,000 baht handed in by an honest driver in the news in the next few days followed by a photo shoot, big smiles, and bunches of flowers.

Stomach turning.

I have given up going to Samui because of the overcharging for everything but the taxis and Bangkok Air are the worst offenders and rip off artists. Of course it’s a mafia and there is no desire to interfere with it. It could all be changed overnight but it will not happen. I hope the deep pocket visitors continue to be taken for the eejits they are. Hasta La Vista Samui. 

Perhaps if the thai people provided a professional and legal taxi service (turning the meter on would be a good start!) then the friend wouldn’t need a ride as he could use a proper meter taxi. How about the police starting there?

5 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Stomach turning

Yes indeed .. 5 mins 200 bht.. I used to annoy them by asking the fares to.. wherever.. and laughing at them and walking away.. no intention of going anywhere , just for the craic. Especially as you say while they are just standing around with no business because they will not reduce the stress excessive fares . 

Just another pathetic example of how low the cops will go to scrape the barrel, instead of stopping all the drunk drivers and speeding Thai idiots, let’s just stop all these farangs from helping out their friends with a cheap ride home ! 

They need to rat out the crooked “phony” taxi drivers at the airports and the bus stations in Bangkok.  I just got back home from a trip down to Bangkok last night and we actually did encounter just one phony cab driver at the Mo Chit Bus Station.  As soon as he led us to his personally owed vehicle I immediately knew something wasn’t right with that picture, up here in Korat we never have problems with crooked cab or took took drivers.

I was very hesitant about getting into his car which wasn’t even a real cab, my wife immediately jumped in and was like “let’s just get to the hotel” because she was tired and not as street smart as most Thai wives because she only grew up here in Thailand she lived most of her life in the United States and now we’re retired here.  

So I was considering going with him for a second but I was just very hesitant about it.  I sat down in his back seat for a second and then the driver demanded 500 baht UP FRONT just to drive 6 kilometers to our hotel in light traffic only about a 10 minute drive.  So I got out and I said to my wife “hun please get out of this man’s car right now”.  Then I flagged down a real taxi cab that just happened to be driving by and he stopped.  Then the other scam driver grabbed my arm and said “I take you to hotel you pay me 500 baht right now”.  Then I very calmly replied to him “if you don’t take your hand off me and take a step back you’re going to be seeing the inside of an ambulance instead of your car right here” and he immediately walked away.  

Then we got into the legitimate cab and got to our hotel in less than 15 minutes from the Mo Chit bus station we stayed at the My Bed Ratchada hotel.  The legitimate cab driver was very friendly and he knew exactly what was going on when he stopped for us and he was even telling us during the ride to avoid drivers like that because it’s a scam and I was like “oh yeah I know thank you so much for stopping”.  And he only charged me 200 baht to drive 6K in less than 15 minutes NOT 500 baht like the other scam artist wanted up front.  

Those scam cab drivers like that in Bangkok are the ones they need to rat out.  I thought the local cops in Bangkok were supposedly cracking down on scam cab drivers Bangkok.  We got approached by a scam cab driver literally within 30 seconds of getting off the bus at Mo Chit.  

You never see that up here where we live in Korat obviously it’s because Bangkok is full of tourists who don’t know any better. So some take advantage of that.  You can’t trust people as much in Bangkok as you can up here in Bangkok there are scams everywhere.  Other than that it was a really good, fun, and well planned trip, we had no problems at all.  I don’t really consider that one incident at Mo Chit a problem because I knew exactly what it was and I very quickly just dealt with it and just simply got a legitimate cab driver. So we had a really good time no problems.  

Except for the traffic in southern Bangkok but we just decided to take the Sky Train and the MRT so that wasn’t a big deal either.  It went really well.  Next time we’re going to Chiangmai to see the Hill Tribes Villages again up in those steep mountains we have not been there in years and that area is absolutely beautiful I remember.  

Claiming hardship ?? 

Well maybe if people who came here weren’t treated like walking atm machines then they might return and the hardship wouldn’t exist !!

I know off and have seen people who take it as tourists come and go so they take them for as much as they can as they think they probably won’t see them again so bleed them for cash as best as they can one time .

The other problem with the taxis on samui are the payments they need to make every month to be able to run a taxi . Just drive down chaweng beach road most nights from 7-12pm and see how many taxis and songthaews there are sitting waiting for a few customer. The only taxis who make decent money are the private ones or the ones that have regular people on samui use them as their main taxi at least once a week or more and have their number.

You would be surprised the amount that don’t have cards with their number on it to give to people for repeat business.

Archived