Dozens drown on Libya migrant boat; Italy impounds rescue ship

rooster59

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Yes. EU governments, albeit slowly, are putting in place govt to govt agreements for return of deportees. Increasing funding for work creation projects in some source countries and so on. There is some disagreement from human rights organisation e.g. return to Libya where there is known abuse of returnees / asylum seekers in some detention centres.

You will know the flow of asylum seekers / economic refugees has significantly reduced from the 2015 peak. If you're interested, to give you some insight, is a report provided below showing the nationality and numbers of asylum seekers entering the EU in the 2017 - 2018 period, together with some other EU related asylum seeker statistics

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/pdfscache/13562.pdf

http://www.europeanmigrationlaw.eu/en/articles/news/eurostat-asylum-decisions-in-the-eu-2018.html

https://www.asylumineurope.org/news/25-01-2019/asylum-statistics-2018-changing-arrivals-same-concerns

An example of some good news, some bad news...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-germany/germany-fails-to-deport-nearly-every-second-asylum-seeker-idUSKCN1QD0LT

its all bad news , they are not wanted by the majority

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

its all bad news , they are not wanted by the majority

Doubt you speak on behalf of a "majority".

Don't see most European governments led by parties you favor.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As someone with African relatives and mixed children, i am somewhat sympathetic to the issues  that cause people to migrate - whether as refugees or economic migrants. However, we do need to look at the impact migration causes.

Earlier today was watching a documentary about migrants stuck on a small Greek island. The locals say that at first they helped them - but as these migrant people can no longer move on, they are stuck there, and the problems just keep growing. One bar owner has been burgled 13 times THIS YEAR, 9 times migrants were caught in the act. They are not imprisoned, just sent back to the camp .... tourism has suffered, pollution and litter has increased. The locals want to know when do they get there lives back.

As already said, need to speed up the bilateral agreements to allow illegal migrants to be repatriated. Also, massive investment is needed to develop their own countries and provide jobs for them. Unfortunately TV and the internet have been responsible for showing a luxurious lifestyle in the developed world to the less fortunate, and they want a part of it,

To some degree I sympathise with the current Australian approach - if you enter illegally, you will never be allowed to stay. But all countries should have reasonable legal migration options., and need to help resolve the issues which cause mass migration.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They could start by improving their own governments. I am sure that's not easy. But nobody said everything must be easy.

One... unfortunately that is an over simplistic view of the facts . Their " own ' governments are propped up by the West and if not by Russian and the Chinese . I think arms sales have a little to do with it or if not oil etc

So all these economic migrates want to leave there s**tholes and come to Europe so they can turn what used to nice towns and cities into the same s**tholes they came from. For example Londonstian Paris etc. Well that makes perfect sense. Why don't they stay and make there own towns and cities into decent place instead.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Given the history of exploitation and Euro colonization of most of those hell holes, and the way they were dropped like hot potatoes when they were no longer of strategic use, and divided by the Allies along untenable borders that made no ethnic or nationalist sense, I wouldn't refer to them as refugees. 

I'd call them the chickens.  Coming home to roost. 

We're going to be paying for past sins for centuries.  If only we could learn from history and not be committing new sins that will haunt us even longer.

They were killing themselves before too, they just got technology from us which they can hardly understand and is capable of doing way more harm.

Doesn't matter what you give them, they will continue exploiting and killing as soon as they can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamesy9368 said:

So all these economic migrates want to leave there s**tholes and come to Europe so they can turn what used to nice towns and cities into the same s**tholes they came from. For example Londonstian Paris etc. Well that makes perfect sense. Why don't they stay and make there own towns and cities into decent place instead.

How many millions of tourists visit Paris and London every year, in fact increasing year on year; they are not shit#$#%

On 5/11/2019 at 1:29 AM, simple1 said:

So you're claiming Eritreans and Somalis trying to escape from persecution / repression would not meet criteria for asylum seeker status? Economic refugees are an entirely different issue. Some info on African economic refugees...

https://africacenter.org/spotlight/dynamics-african-economic-migration/

I note the usual indifference, indeed a degree of pleasure, to loss of life at sea for 'others'

Tribal societies produce economic migrants entitled to be asylum seekers on the other side of the coin. That's a problem, and  their problem at the first place.

I'm totally against illegal migration and chain migration under the false pretext of former colonization, the real cause of their poverty lies in their ever conflicting ethnoreligious mindset, bad habits die hard. 

On the other hand, for example, France will welcome isolated mothers and their children of the Yezidi community persecuted and enslaved by IS, and these are real asylum seekers. 

Edited by Opl

On 5/11/2019 at 7:06 AM, impulse said:

If that's your internal narrative for how colonization worked and how and why it came to an end, and believe that the corrupt local leaders haven't been propped up by western countries and multi-nationals, I can understand you believing what you do.  To be honest, that's what we learned in high school, too.  So we could feel good about saying the pledge of allegiance, become compliant employees for those multi-nationals and support our leaders no matter where they took us to war.

Then I woke up...

So your attitude is take them all in, as many as want to come.

Let them destroy all that is good about Italy (which is pretty skint anyway) and let them turn it into a North African shithole.

Bigoted? Speak to anyone who worked in Libya in the last fifty years.

I blame the pull factor, if there were no rescue ships out there they wouldn't be sending them to sea in crappy boats; the truth is there's a whole industry developed around this. I know. I used to work in the refugee industry, about one in ten is genuine, the rest are economic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rott said:

So your attitude is take them all in, as many as want to come.

Let them destroy all that is good about Italy (which is pretty skint anyway) and let them turn it into a North African shithole.

Bigoted? Speak to anyone who worked in Libya in the last fifty years.

No, I'm suggesting that rooting for the boats to sink is pretty despicable.

And there is history here that should teach us a lesson for the future.

Edit:  BTW, if they did turn Italy into a craphole, it would just be payback.  Though that's not what I'm advocating.

Edited by impulse

i blame uncle sam,gaddafi kept a peaceful nation in check other than the one off pan-am disaster,now europe is paying the price,and we have brexiteers blaming germany for a US started problem,the sooner the UK rids itself of trumps USA the better,not all the dons fault but he has continued the downward spiral of idiotic US practice.

• Haha 1

Send the Chinese T.shirt, diswasher, computer and flat screen TV makers to these distressed countries....make them set up factories, give the regular US$ 2,-/day,  pay to the workers that could be trained, they will be glad to have jobs, will stay safe in their homelands...and our TV's will cost less....everybody will be happy !!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jerry787 said:

french ship ? 

From the OP the rescue ship was Mare Jonio, which is registered under the Italian flag. Mare Jonio met it's obligations under international maritime law to pick up survivors. Are you inferring Mare Jonio should have left the survivors to drown?

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:54 AM, bomber said:

i blame uncle sam,gaddafi kept a peaceful nation in check other than the one off pan-am disaster,now europe is paying the price,and we have brexiteers blaming germany for a US started problem,the sooner the UK rids itself of trumps USA the better,not all the dons fault but he has continued the downward spiral of idiotic US practice.

bomber you can believe that if you want  to...  but there was a thriving industry sending Somali and other immigrants to Italy by boat in the 90's from places like Zouara . How do I know ? My Somali house cleaner asked me for a small loan so she could go and she sent me a postcard from Calabria  a couple of weeks later .