Iran commander calls U.S. military in Gulf a target not a threat - ISNA

webfact

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

How you managed to post more nonsense and bring in isis to compare to Iran is well and truly beyond me, but unsurprising expected 

Your confusion is, alas, entirely predictable. I wasn't comparing Isis to Iran. Just trying to ascertain Sunni Muslim support for extremist attitudes toward Shias. Got some news for you: most Sunnis aren't Salafists. 

"Do tell how conflict with Iran would unite 99% of the Muslim countries where majority are sunnis and hate Shias with passion , especially Iran ." 

The poll you cited, while it certainly disproved my point also impeaches yours. The grounds it cited for Arab disapproval of Iran was not religious, but a belief in Arab cultural superiority. . Doesn't sound to me like hating  "Shias with a passion." features in the majority's attitudes And in those portions of the Muslim world where Shias aren't a feature of the religious landscape, I doubt the local populace gives a toss about them one way or another. 

9 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Your confusion is, alas, entirely predictable. I wasn't comparing Isis to Iran. Just trying to ascertain Sunni Muslim support for extremist attitudes toward Shias. Got some news for you: most Sunnis aren't Salafists. 

"Do tell how conflict with Iran would unite 99% of the Muslim countries where majority are sunnis and hate Shias with passion , especially Iran ." 

The poll you cited, while it certainly disproved my point also impeaches yours. The grounds it cited for Arab disapproval of Iran was not religious, but a belief in Arab cultural superiority. . Doesn't sound to me like hating  "Shias with a passion." features in the majority's attitudes And in those portions of the Muslim world where Shias aren't a feature of the religious landscape, I doubt the local populace gives a toss about them one way or another. 

ISIS represents extreme positions, many of which were perceived as way to radical for many people in the ME, even for Sunnis usually considered extreme themselves. Not supporting ISIS doesn't necessarily say a whole lot about sentiments toward Iran or Shia in General. As said before, perfectly possible to hold negative sentiments toward both at the same time.

The distinction made between the cultural(?) and religious is often not quite as clear cut in reality as presented above.

21 minutes ago, Morch said:

ISIS represents extreme positions, many of which were perceived as way to radical for many people in the ME, even for Sunnis usually considered extreme themselves. Not supporting ISIS doesn't necessarily say a whole lot about sentiments toward Iran or Shia in General. As said before, perfectly possible to hold negative sentiments toward both at the same time.

The distinction made between the cultural(?) and religious is often not quite as clear cut in reality as presented above.

You should share your apercu with the folks at the Woodrow Wilson International. I'm sure this will be news to them.

• Confused 1