Cancelled work permit last week - am I on overstay?

Hello 

Long time reader but first time poster, would really appreciate any guidance.

I'm British and have taught in Bangkok on a non B extension to stay (based on work permit).

Two weeks ago I told the agency I will be returning to England on the 20th to live for family reasons (trying to be nice and give them notice before the school year starts to find another teacher)

I was told by the agency manager that I could go and cancel my work permit shortly before going home together with the girl from the office who deals with these matters.

I've just messaged her and in true Thai style they've already gone ahead on the 10th and cancelled my work permit. Does this mean when I fly out on the 20th I will pay an overstay fine? Will I be detained? Is there anything I can do in the interim to sort this with immigration and still fly on 20th?

many thanks in advance 

David 

Canceling the work permit does not automatically cancel your extension. The DOE does not notify immigration when a work permit is canceled. You are the only person that can cancel it by taking a termination letter to immigration.

You will not have a problem when you leave the country.

Maybe better to avoid immigration,

As soon as you finish work your extension is not valid and should be cancelled and you must leave the country immediately or pay for a seven day extension,then leave and if coming back have an alternative visa or thirty day stamp.

But in reality if you leave at an airport within the time frame you mentioned you will simply be stamped out without a problem, they wont be interested in termination letters etc.

Leaving via a land border they often ask for the cancellation and termination letter, at the airports they are not interested.

Edited by sapson

27 minutes ago, Hackney35 said:

Thank you very much for your swift reply. I can write the termination letter myself? In English? And take it to Chang Wattana imm?

many thanks again 

The termination letter has to be from your employer.

No need to cancel the extension in your case since you will be leaving soon and do not plan on working here again.

Thank you both. I asked the agent to provide me with the cancellation letter (without you telling me this I would never have asked - thanks) and we are now going together on Friday to Chaeng Wattana where she will tell imm my last day was 19th so can leave with no visa outstanding. (I'd rather keep the option open of returning to Thailand at any point just in case I fail to settle back in to life in brexit Britain)