Apartment flooded through a hole in the wall. Patching it up?

JeffersLos

There was a massive downpour last night.

Woke up this morning to see half of the living room flooded with brown water. 

Traced it to this previously unseen hole in the wall.

LBjcEGn.jpg

It is on the top story of the building.

This wall is an inner side wall. On the opposite side of it is the area where the lift and stairs are. The exact opposite side of it is actually half way up the wall of the stairs going down. 

I'll want to patch it up.

Looks like along next to it was already done a few years ago.

JqfIgUD.jpg

ptofAxa.jpg

So how do I go about patching this up?

Is there some sort of white plaster compound that I can buy in Homepro and paste it into/onto?

TIA 

find the path of entry from the stairwell / lift area first. Need to make sure the water is not coming down through the wall. Fill from the outside. The filler will need to have anti - hygroscopic. You canget mortar additives to make it waterproof. Make a sand cement mix and go from there. Otherwise use an epoxy.

But find the source of the ingress while you can. You might just be patching up a larger issue that is allowed to grow.

• Like 1

the problem sounds familiar, my kitchen is directly below the upstairs rear terrace and with the rain and the wet floor above the rainwater would end up on my kitchen floor (18 y.o.shop house and there must be imperceptible cracks upstairs from the expansion...) managed to install some fabric awnings to keep the rain off with a significant improvement...

then there is the upstairs bathroom that had rotten wood door frames and replaced them with UPVC dosed heavily with silicon to the joints with an improvement...I guess to do it right gotta take up the tiles, install a moisture barrier and then re tile...but can't be arsed, gonna leave soon with all the recent immigration bullshit...gonna go live in a truck somewhere in the woods in the US Pacific NW...

12 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

find the path of entry from the stairwell / lift area first. Need to make sure the water is not coming down through the wall. Fill from the outside. The filler will need to have anti - hygroscopic. You canget mortar additives to make it waterproof. Make a sand cement mix and go from there. Otherwise use an epoxy.

But find the source of the ingress while you can. You might just be patching up a larger issue that is allowed to grow.

You can buy a waterproof mortar in a plastic tub from most of the usual places Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu

• Like 2