Laws (if Any) On Service/guide Dogs

Jay jones

I will be coming thu Thailand April 4th. I have a Service Dog. He is Cert. under USA Laws and Regulations to accompany me any and every where. What reception will I receive by Thai officials, and/or Businesses such as taxi, hotels and restaurants and local airlines flying Cambodia and Thailand. My disabilies are not visible such as blindness.

Would there be a Travel Agency that would know what accommodation's I might get. I could call 2000 or so hotels but I hope there might be an easier way. Thai tourist agency???

Thanks, JKJ

These guys may be able to help you out.

Click

[/quote

My disabilities allow me to get around like everyone else (with the aid and assistance of my Service Dog). I am flying in to BKK with my dog in the cabin with me. Any airline flying out of USA must allow this , under the ADA Americans Disability Act and the rules regulating Airlines. This also applies to all Hotels- Restaurants and all public buildings.

I know other countries do not have to follow laws by other countries, many do and some don't. This is my question? Since I will be debarking with a dog what is going to happen from there. I would like to fly on to PP, Cambodia with local airlines, I received a e-mail form Bangkok airlines and they gave me the rules on shipping dog but did not answer my question about Service dogs flying in cabin-(laying on floor in front of my seat, with many airlines, keeping the seat beside me empty).

If anyone (speaking Thai) would inquire to airlines and confirm either Yes or No, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank You, JKJ

another point you may wish to consider is the sensibilities of the local Muslim population ................

apparently in Oz for example the cabby's can refuse to carry the dog .

I would respect any Muslim who's beliefs are that strong. Service Dogs are trained not to sniff any stranger or make any contact.

They also would have the same disdain for you if you entered their cab after having drank alcohol.

Their teachings, many based on info past down over many years are not based on the true teachings or current teachings. The idea that Dogs are unclean came from the spread of Rabies and was a health issue rather than hate for dogs.

It was believed that a black dog was a devil and the smell of a wet dog was the smell of the devil. If a dog was in a house the angels would not enter. All dogs should be killed, etc.

If a person were to Google "Muslims and Dogs" you will see hundreds of current teachings and articles on the fact that Muslims can own dogs and the dogs can under certain conditions and reasons live in the house. Most of these articles are written by Muslims scholars and having research all of the Muslims teachings, documented in most of the articles.

As I respect their beliefs I only hope they respect my needs. Also this statement is a Muslim Law. If a dog serves the needs of a person they should be Loved.

Thanks, JKJ

I will be coming thu Thailand April 4th. I have a Service Dog. He is Cert. under USA Laws and Regulations to accompany me any and every where. What reception will I receive by Thai officials, and/or Businesses such as taxi, hotels and restaurants and local airlines flying Cambodia and Thailand. My disabilies are not visible such as blindness.

Would there be a Travel Agency that would know what accommodation's I might get. I could call 2000 or so hotels but I hope there might be an easier way. Thai tourist agency???

Thanks, JKJ

Hi Jay,

One thing you might do, is print up a card explaining your need for a service dog, in the various languages of the countries you'll be travelling to, and have it laminated. Then, rather than any misunderstanding exascerbated by language difficulties, you could simply show, cabbies, hoteliers, restaurants, etc the card. They still may not serve you, but at least the discussion won't get heated due to misunderstandings. Also, maybe make a post in the Phuket forum. Simon43 there, the subforums sponsor operates a hotel that accomodates the disabled and he may be more clued in than most of us.

easy there JJ , I like dogs .....................

you ? intrigued me and I started hunting around that's all

best wishes

mid

Sorry Mid,

I meant NO disrespect for you, I was only using an example of how many beliefs of many religions conflict with others. I respect all opinions and I am not one who strike out at others. I should have used "person" instead of YOU>>

I do love dogs, but I look for any reason to spread the word to any Muslim wanting and willing to update and research their outlook on one of Gods Creatures.

JKJ

Edited by Jay jones

Thanks, JKJ

Hi Jay,

One thing you might do, is print up a card explaining your need for a service dog, in the various languages of the countries you'll be travelling to, and have it laminated. Then, rather than any misunderstanding exascerbated by language difficulties, you could simply show, cabbies, hoteliers, restaurants, etc the card. They still may not serve you, but at least the discussion won't get heated due to misunderstandings. Also, maybe make a post in the Phuket forum. Simon43 there, the subforums sponsor operates a hotel that accomodates the disabled and he may be more clued in than most of us.

Great idea about card--We use it stateside but I didn't think how great I would be while I am traveling. I can Post the English but how do I get a Thai and Khmer

translation??

JKJ

now I can help .

you get the Thai version here ,

check the Thai language sub-form

cheers

Mid, This is what the card might say. What do I do next?? I am not great on the computer.

if someone translated and post it where I can download it and print it in Thai and Cambodia

language. It would be great.

SERVICE DOG

This Animal is not a PET!

He has been specialty trained to

help his owner who is Disabled.

He will not pay attention to any

stranger or customer. He is clean

and in good health, quiet and is

very friendly.

I would like to have him stay with

Me while I am your customer and

using your services.

If you feel that you can not honor

my request, I understand and wish

you A good day.

Thank You

Edited by Jay jones

This isn't just prurient nosiness,but what role does your service dog play in your life. TBH, I think you'll find it difficult in Thailand with a dog. Although people do take them into shops, restaraunts etc, they are mainly the smalll yappy sized ones. I should imagine that your service dog would be a bit bigger than a chihauhau and I can't even begin to imagineyou negotiating Chatuchak with one.

Good luck

now I can help .

you get the Thai version here ,

check the Thai language sub-form

cheers

Mid, This is what the card might say. What do I do next?? I am not great on the computer.

if someone translated and post it where I can download it and print it in Thai and Cambodia

language. It would be great.

SERVICE DOG

This Animal is not a PET!

He has been specialty trained to

help his owner who is Disabled.

He will not pay attention to any

stranger or customer. He is clean

and in good health, quiet and is

very friendly.

I would like to have him stay with

Me while I am your customer and

using your services.

If you feel that you can not honor

my request, I understand and wish

you A good day.

Thank You

morning JJ ,

suggest you repost in THIS section of the forum

that is click on the word THIS above and you will go to the correct section of this forum

all the best

mid

Amazing animals and trainers. They took my sisters worthless Dalmatian and turned it into a service dog for her. She has leukemia and is apparently subject to blackouts. Dog is trained to bark when outside until someone comes to aid my sister, or if she blacks out in her home the dog has a panic button to push. Dog in my opinion was utterly worthless till the training, and now its priceless to her.

Amazing animals and trainers. They took my sisters worthless Dalmatian and turned it into a service dog for her. She has leukemia and is apparently subject to blackouts. Dog is trained to bark when outside until someone comes to aid my sister, or if she blacks out in her home the dog has a panic button to push. Dog in my opinion was utterly worthless till the training, and now its priceless to her.

Taking this slightly off topic - apologies OP & I hope you get the help that you need - dogs can be amazing, trained or not. My mother is diabetic and prone to hypoglycaemic comas when she's stressed or doesn't eat enough. When we were kids, my father worked overseas a lot. One night the family dog came into my sister's & my bedroom & barked & whined until we woke. Mum had gone into a coma & we had to phone an ambulance. After treatment, she recovered very quickly, but who knows what could have happened if the dog hadn't woken us.

Sorry, back on topic....