Residents of luxury condo want action as foreigners allowed to stay on daily rent

webfact

29 minutes ago, toenail said:

I worked 20 minutes from Pattaya so Naklua & North Pattaya was my area to choose to live. During my 15 years here I discovered many condo complexes ( old or new) will be selective who they will rent out to and do not publicly advertise. (Opposite of the “View Talay” approach) Showing my work permit helped along with being dressed up a bit (no shorts, singlet, & flip flops) when visiting the manager of these complexes. I found out going in person was better than calling. Also when I was shown a condo available to rent ( long term) I also asked to see it at night. I was always fortunate to find a quiet place... and I certainly stayed away from the cheap rentals that catered to short time renters.

Respectful attitude, white socks and sandals then?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, toenail said:

I worked 20 minutes from Pattaya so Naklua & North Pattaya was my area to choose to live. During my 15 years here I discovered many condo complexes ( old or new) will be selective who they will rent out to and do not publicly advertise. (Opposite of the “View Talay” approach) Showing my work permit helped along with being dressed up a bit (no shorts, singlet, & flip flops) when visiting the manager of these complexes. I found out going in person was better than calling. Also when I was shown a condo available to rent ( long term) I also asked to see it at night. I was always fortunate to find a quiet place... and I certainly stayed away from the cheap rentals that catered to short time renters.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Funny you living in your dream. As if any Thai would think twice because getting ANYBODY money.

So wrong.

On 5/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, Nemises said:

Own property in Thailand? No, definitely not...and feel sorry for those that do!

If you say so i made a healthy profit on my property, bought it with low baht and now the property is valued more and the baht is higher so double win. So yea feel sorry for me.

If you say so i made a healthy profit on my property, bought it with low baht and now the property is valued more and the baht is higher so double win. So yea feel sorry for me.

It is only worth as much as someone will actually pay for it. Until then your gain/loss is merely on paper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, SpokaneAl said:

It is only worth as much as someone will actually pay for it. Until then your gain/loss is merely on paper.

Quite true but given that this is what is being paid for it now as other houses sell here its a valid value. Not one of those imagined ones. A new central and a connection to the sky train increased the value a lot. When i bought it none of these things were here. So you are right its on paper but it will be hard for this to ever become a loss. Unless the baht drops hugely (how i wish) prices of houses around here are not dropping. Since the purple line things have changed a lot here.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Quite true but given that this is what is being paid for it now as other houses sell here its a valid value. Not one of those imagined ones. A new central and a connection to the sky train increased the value a lot. When i bought it none of these things were here. So you are right its on paper but it will be hard for this to ever become a loss. Unless the baht drops hugely (how i wish) prices of houses around here are not dropping. Since the purple line things have changed a lot here.

everything can drop in an economic downturn ( and even in stupid homemade politican without an eco downturn due to changing laws and stupidness-can change investors behaviour quick)

rec: asiancrisis , thailand 1998 to 2001 prices drop in usd  up to 80%

rec turkey at moment prices drop by 70%  in usd.

rec spain 2009.rec russia and so on

3 minutes ago, lapamita said:

everything can drop in an economic downturn ( and even in stupid homemade politican without an eco downturn due to changing laws and stupidness-can change investors behaviour quick)

rec: asiancrisis , thailand 1998 to 2001 prices drop in usd  up to 80%

rec turkey at moment prices drop by 70%  in usd.

rec spain 2009.rec russia and so on

I wish it would happen but i doubt it its foreigners that are always thinking about this drop (that has not materialized for as long as they talked about it). So I will say there will be no drops (my income is in euro's so I would like it more if there was a drop. Its just not likely.

They are turning up the heat on this issue.  The mention of "Luxury Condo" in this article might suggest it is the same location. Either way they are sending a message that it won't be business as usual anymore.

Busted: People running a hotel at Bangkok condominium arrested/charged in police/immigration raid

On 5/19/2019 at 5:19 AM, myjawe said:

This sign must a good sale. We have it in my building but nobody cares and tourist stay daily.

so, how come the fobs have not been turned off? switch to biometric scanners for access that will cut down on crap.

In our Condo, the two Thai owners of multiple units rent them out using Booking.com and other similar sites (including their own made up companies). They are all illegal and there is no license here. The renters all stay for less than a month. I think if Immigration and revenue personnel rock up and kick people out/question them, on a regular basis, there may be some very adverse feedback re the Condo on these booking sites. Same goes with Air B&B I guess. To me, that is the most effective response from the legit Unit Owners. Make sure that anyone looking to stay at your Condo will reject it out of hand. That way the rogue condo owners will be beaten at their own game.

Does anyone know if the likes of Booking.com and Hotels.com have an obligation to ensure that the "hotels" they sell/promote are actually legit?

Cheers RtS

Booking.com Hotels.com, Uber, and all the rest will tell you they are just an information device and take no responsibility whatsoever (even if you can get a refund from them in case of trouble with booking accommodation on their sites).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, rkidlad said:

My condo used to have this problem but they really cracked down on it. Now when I do see foreigners around they're longer-term renters. 

I remember the days when foreigners would stay daily/weekly, etc. So many would just hang around the gym or pool all day taking up space. They weren't badly behaved, but they were treating the place like a resort. Whereas when us owners use the pool and gym, etc, we get in and we get out. Let other people use the facilities. 

Glad to see them gone. 

how do you know they were short term renters?

7 minutes ago, fhickson said:

how do you know they were short term renters?

Because you begin to recognise the people around. Also, the short-term renters are usually foreigners who look like fish out of water. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, SpokaneAl said:

My wife and I rented a condo in Jomtien for two weeks in January. We have rented another in Hua Hin for two weeks next January. Certainly have no interest in staying longer nor buying. Does that make us bad people?

It makes you breaking the law.

Re the OP. Welcome to Thailand. Does anyone really expect the "law" to be upheld when it comes to greed?

Just now, tomazbodner said:

How hard would it be for police to put the names of condos in their area into Agoda, Booking.com and AirBnB, make bookings, and arrest the landlord and helpers during the check-in?

Not easy. They would need to pay upfront to seal the deal to entrap the owners. They already struggling with funding and there are thousands of illegals to catch..aint gonna happen

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It makes you breaking the law.

Re the OP. Welcome to Thailand. Does anyone really expect the "law" to be upheld when it comes to greed?

Its a bit rich to expect people from all over the world to know Thai law. Its a shady area but dont think the tourist will end up in jail..That would make great very unattractive headlines 

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Its a bit rich to expect people from all over the world to know Thai law. Its a shady area but dont think the tourist will end up in jail..That would make great very unattractive headlines 

I don't expect visitors to know, but I'd like to see owners that rent their condos out illegally go to jail.

That is kind of my thought.

We have a home in Korat where we split our time between the US and Thailand and thought it would be nice to spend a couple of weeks on the coast.

In that we prefer to shop and cook for ourselves, we searched the internet and found a bazillion condos of all prices, locations and qualities, found one that seemed reasonable, and agreed to a price and duration.

The first we heard about legal issues for staying only a couple of weeks was on this forum.

How hard would it be for police to put the names of condos in their area into Agoda, Booking.com and AirBnB, make bookings, and arrest the landlord and helpers during the check-in?

Renting a condo for shorter than the required 30 days. I suppose, depending on the renters, it could be irritating but hardly an arrestable offense.

Police do not enforce condominium by-laws it is up to the building committee and manager.... The owners need to get together and follow the ACT to remove the bad owners.

In that throughout this thread posters have claimed that renting a condo for less than 30 days is against Thai law, perhaps someone could provide an actual reference to educate us law breakers.

4 minutes ago, SpokaneAl said:

In that throughout this thread posters have claimed that renting a condo for less than 30 days is against Thai law, perhaps someone could provide an actual reference to educate us law breakers.

The law that is usually considered to be broken by short-term rentals is the Hotel Act.

The Condo Act is somewhat more vague but it does mention not allowing businesses in residential areas, and ensuring general peace and order, and many would consider that short-term rentals are clearly businesses and likely to lead to undue noise and activity.

The law that is usually considered to be broken by short-term rentals is the Hotel Act.

The Condo Act is somewhat more vague but it does mention not allowing businesses in residential areas, and ensuring general peace and order, and many would consider that short-term rentals are clearly businesses and likely to lead to undue noise and activity.

“Not allowing businesses in residential areas” is an interesting concept and one I have never, ever seen enforced. In building or building a house in Thailand a major concern is that a noodle stand or motorcycle repair shop will open up in the front of the next door neighbor’s house with no consideration for traffic, parking, noise or odors.

Want action:

1:  is there any law that prevents it?

2:  Are there any covenants or polices in writing that the owners signed when they bought the condo units that prohibit such rentals?  If there are, than you simply sue the owners of the condo units that are doing the short term rentals.  You go to court, get an injunction that stops the rentals.  I know these are USA legal terms, and I have little confidence any such process exists in Thailand besides going and complaining to the military in charge.

7 hours ago, SpokaneAl said:

“Not allowing businesses in residential areas” is an interesting concept and one I have never, ever seen enforced. In building or building a house in Thailand a major concern is that a noodle stand or motorcycle repair shop will open up in the front of the next door neighbor’s house with no consideration for traffic, parking, noise or odors.

As far as the Condo Act and condo building by-laws go, they only apply to the residential areas of condo buildings ie the floors that contain residential units. Most condo buildings have specific areas in which businesses are permitted (often the ground floor) and this is what the act and the by-laws define to an extent.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

2:  Are there any covenants or polices in writing that the owners signed when they bought the condo units that prohibit such rentals?  If there are, than you simply sue the owners of the condo units that are doing the short term rentals.  You go to court, get an injunction that stops the rentals.  I know these are USA legal terms, and I have little confidence any such process exists in Thailand besides going and complaining to the military in charge.

If the business activity is contrary to the by-laws (these are the covenants) then a fine can be issued by the building without a court being involved. And penalties can be imposed on the lines of prohibiting the use of common areas like the pool etc.

Few older buildings have by-laws about rentals. Some newer and more upmarket buildings do. By-laws can be changed by a majority of the whole co-ownership at an AGM but in many buildings few people attend such meetings so in those buildings changes are unlikely. If many co-owners are involved in the short-term rentals then change is even less likely. The best time to implement such rules is when the condo building has its first meeting after it is declared a condo.

Archived