Do you know anyone who got AIDS and died in Thailand?

soistalker

I will assume you have done a quick search and discovered this to be false. This is not how probability and statistics work. Math gurus help out here.

And again just because you have sex with someone who is HIV positive does not mean you will get it yourself. There are lots and lots of variables when you spin the big wheel of HIV transmission. Who, where, how, and when you have sex determines your probability which would need to be figured out individually. And while the chances of you getting HIV are actually low...it could happen on your first go or your 1000th. Hope that you are at least getting tested regularly. 

I'm taking a break this is exhausting. 

1899468815_ThailandupdatedAugust2017_0.png.d65bead7760492f8f0d2734555aa41b3.png
These figures would be as accurate as road fatallity numbers here. The amount of undiagnosed cases I believe would be staggering. I was going to say a more accurate figure would be the percentage of pregnant women tested, who test positive. If 4% of all pregnant women tested positive that would be getting closer to a more honest number. But then of course you have LB, Gays and sex workers in the mix whom would be on average a higher infection rate so this would increase the overall number. Current figures show infection rate of 0.6% population but Thailand being Thailand you could bet thats only known cases.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I mean, it is absolutely wrong. 

2% probably refers the hiv prevalence rate among sex workers. It could also refer to the chance of contracting hiv over say a 20 year period if living with an infected partner.

It most definitely is not the chance of contracting hiv from a single episode.  Each exposure is in any case, discrete and not cumulative.

Did you misunderstand ?

If you have unprotected sex with a HIV+ woman , your chance of contracted the disease from her is a probability of 2 %

If you has sex with her 50 times , the probability would be 50 x 2 %

12 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Did you misunderstand ?

If you have unprotected sex with a HIV+ woman , your chance of contracted the disease from her is a probability of 2 %

What about the HIV infected women who are on HIV drugs? I suspect quite a few of those bar girls who are infected are also on a drug programme, which reduces the chances of infection.

Having said that anyone having unprotected sex with bar girls or lady boys is insane ... not only because of HIV, but all the other nasties that you can acquire, and the increasing number of nasties that are proving resistant to conventional antibiotics.

On 5/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAIK, Thai private health insurance policies, even the better ones, usually exclude both STDs in general and HIV/AIDS specifically.

So what , its cheap 'exam at many clinics in BKK and Pattaya. Treatment for a farang with triple HIV vacine  has been stated as running around 10,000 baht a month.

5 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

Treatment for a farang with triple HIV vacine  has been stated as running around 10,000 baht a month.

That amount is equal to the monthly rent for some folks around these parts.... It's hardly an insignificant sum.... 

(BTW, there is no "vacine" for HIV at present, only a lifetime regimen of anti-viral drugs to keep the virus in check.)

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Did you misunderstand ?

That's absolutely wrong.

What about the HIV infected women who are on HIV drugs? I suspect quite a few of those bar girls who are infected are also on a drug programme, which reduces the chances of infection.

Having said that anyone having unprotected sex with bar girls or lady boys is insane ... not only because of HIV, but all the other nasties that you can acquire, and the increasing number of nasties that are proving resistant to conventional antibiotics.

if their viral load is undetectable then they can't pass HIV on but I can't see them being disciplined with the medication

Did you misunderstand ?
Probability math is hard and usually not intuitive. I'm not an expert, but I think the correct answer is 64 %.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

That's absolutely wrong.

It may not be completely correct , the guy above says the figure is a 64 % probability .

But the point is correct , the more you put yourself at risk , the higher the probability of acquiring it . 

Surely that cannot be disputed ?

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

My understanding is that when attempts were made to quarantine San Fransisco's bath house victims, the Gay Rights movement pressured politicians to vote against the measure; consequently, the disease spread throughout the homosexual population, and inevitably entered the heterosexual population.

I wonder who was the first human to get it and why? I read something suggesting cross contamination with monkeys ... probably apocryphal.

I wonder who was the first human to get it and why? I read something suggesting cross contamination with monkeys ... probably apocryphal.
As Dave Chapelle said, its a strange coincidence that the virus targets the fun people. People old white folks hate. Drug users, gays and coloured people

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

29 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It may not be completely correct , the guy above says the figure is a 64 % probability .

But the point is correct , the more you put yourself at risk , the higher the probability of acquiring it . 

Surely that cannot be disputed ?

'the more you put yourself at risk , the higher the probability of acquiring it . '

Yes, of course that is correct.  It's the quoted risk which is rather inaccurate.

Averaged out over meta studies, it seems to be about 6000-1, but there are reasons why this may be higher in Thailand, and with the bar scene.

But calculating risk is fraught with difficulties which is why experts are loathe to mention it. The most salient factor is infectivity: some people are 'super spreaders' (no giggles please), whereas others will never pass on the infection.  So the real risk could be odds on or a million to one.

Then there issues with self reporting: it's widely accepted that a man, say, who is purportedly living a clean, conventional lifestyle will be very reluctant to admit to drug use, or a gay encounter.

Further there are other variables to consider which includes the presence of of other std's and the type of sex.

35 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

As Dave Chapelle said, its a strange coincidence that the virus targets the fun people. People old white folks hate. Drug users, gays and coloured people

Thats an unpleasant thing to suggest and also racist .

Saying that "old White people  hate Blacks , gay and drug users" and it also suggests that old white people may have deliberately invented the disease .

HIV also doesnt "target" Black people , if they are more prone to catching it , thats is becuse of their behavior , rather than their skin colour 

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Thats an unpleasant thing to suggest and also racist .

Saying that "old White people  hate Blacks , gay and drug users" and it also suggests that old white people may have deliberately invented the disease .

HIV also doesnt "target" Black people , if they are more prone to catching it , thats is becuse of their behavior , rather than their skin colour 

All diseases seem to be worse when poverty and squalor are present.  Go to a red light district once the music stops playing, and the fairy lights go out, and you'll see the true living conditions, why they breed disease, and why people fall foul of a drug habit, etc.

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

Having been acquainted with numerous bar girls , away from the bar scene , I lived in a condo block where numerous bar girls also stayed and often went back and stayed in the villages with them .

I knew many of them quite well and none of them ever went to get a HIV test , they only got tested when they went to hospitals on other matters .

Condom usage wasnt always a priority and many didnt seem too concerned about putting themselves at risk .

As like a few posters on here , they took risks and just didnt care .

IMO , there are many bar girls /punters with HIV and not knowing about it .

As this thread show , there are still people who just dont care about whether they catch HIV or not

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Having been acquainted with numerous bar girls , away from the bar scene , I lived in a condo block where numerous bar girls also stayed and often went back and stayed in the villages with them .

I knew many of them quite well and none of them ever went to get a HIV test , they only got tested when they went to hospitals on other matters .

Condom usage wasnt always a priority and many didnt seem too concerned about putting themselves at risk .

As like a few posters on here , they took risks and just didnt care .

IMO , there are many bar girls /punters with HIV and not knowing about it .

As this thread show , there are still people who just dont care about whether they catch HIV or not

You'd think there would be a terrible epidemic. wouldn't you?

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

You'd think there would be a terrible epidemic. wouldn't you?

I do think that theres more undiagnosed people who carry it and are unaware of it , than that has been reported .

With no symptoms showing for ten years , and numerous people not getting tested or taking precautions , its quite likely that there are more carriers than known about

47 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I do think that theres more undiagnosed people who carry it and are unaware of it , than that has been reported .

With no symptoms showing for ten years , and numerous people not getting tested or taking precautions , its quite likely that there are more carriers than known about

Who knows! But while hiv prevalence is estimated at about 9% in male sex workers, 11% in transgender, it is reported as low as 1% in female sex workers (according to avert).  However, there can be pockets of population where the rate surges.  For instance, one report arrived at 20% among female sex workers in Bangkok.  Frankly, I find that difficult to believe. 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:
5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Did you misunderstand ?

Well I see you are still are having problems with math.

And I think I know why...

Try to GOOGLE...HIV transmission rates...and those numbers you keep clumsily trying to leverage are highlighted at the top of the page...however a careful thorough  reading (its only a sentence so the mind boggles) indicates 'of up to 2%'. If u look at 'insertive vaginal sex', this chart posts a 0.04 percent chance (assuming that is your preference) from a single exposure. Again there really is no mathematical way to quantify your chances of getting HIV without factoring in the who, what, when, and where...of the sex you are having is considered. And most importantly then you must be having sex with someone who is not on medication that is capable of transmission with a few other factors thrown in. Am I to assume that the THAIVISA community is really that concerned about this? Have you guys ever thought about yoga? fly fishing? knitting? FI driving? Really try to find a hobby...it might help. In the meantime wear condoms or take PrEP and get tested regularly. 

images-1.png

Typical HIV topic the stat copy and paste experts.

But, how many have answered the thread question with a Yes?

Not many.

For me No, I personally know of no one in Thailand who has obtained HIV and died from AIDS.

57 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Typical HIV topic the stat copy and paste experts.

But, how many have answered the thread question with a Yes?

Not many.

For me No, I personally know of no one in Thailand who has obtained HIV and died from AIDS.

Many apologies for not answering the OP. Hope I am forgiven.

Four people but all about 25 years ago or more. All were Thai. One was a lady of the night. One worked in a hotel and he was not sure when he was infected. He was straight and did not use pay for play very much. Another was gay and lived with his partner (probably both were infected but I only know of the death of one of them). Both also worked in the hotel trade. The last one was a family friend who was straight but could not keep his willy in his pants.

Enough information  for you bkk6060? 

Nope. Totally heterosexual. But, there are risky forms of sex, and then there are fairly normal forms of sex. He was pushing it. 

Yes anal with an HIV+ girl would be the same risk as a ladyboy or guy. The only thing is guys can be secretive when shagging guys or LBs.  Anal with a girl is not really pushing it.

Plus the relatively easy mistake of anal with a post op LB someone thought was a girl

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes anal with an HIV+ girl would be the same risk as a ladyboy or guy. The only thing is guys can be secretive when shagging guys or LBs.  Anal with a girl is not really pushing it.

Plus the relatively easy mistake of anal with a post op LB someone thought was a girl

Well, it could be debated whether or not anal with a woman who is infected, is dangerous behavior. I say it is. Of course you do not know. And that is what makes it risky. 

36 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Realively easy mistake?

Sounds like just another lame justification.

The ones I have seen look like a handgernade exploded between their legs.  Plus all the other tell tale signs.

Naive, uniformed, and uneducated I would say.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Realively easy mistake?

Sounds like just another lame justification.

The ones I have seen look like a handgernade exploded between their legs.  Plus all the other tell tale signs.

Naive, uniformed, and uneducated I would say.

I've never looked at a ladyboy that closely, I bow to your greater experience.

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've never looked at a ladyboy that closely, I bow to your greater experience.

Well then, you have probably been with a few and had no idea.  But don't worry, you can save face with that:)

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Well then, you have probably been with a few and had no idea.  But don't worry, you can save face with that:)

Probably not, since my pal was diagnosed with AIDs, I've stuck with massage and happy ending.

Saves me money, and no risk of disease.

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've stuck with massage and happy ending.

Saves me money, and no risk of disease.

Well, not exactly.

Transmission of herpes or HPV genital warts are possible via happy ending.

Next time, Better make sure you have condom or they are wearing a glove with plenty of lube to be 100 percent sure.

Archived