Teachers urged to make school environments safe

webfact

Teachers urged to make school environments safe

By The Nation

cb1e835c8099ee8b75c64b1eb7ec8865.jpeg

Teachers are being urged to improve school environments to prevent accidents among pupils as most schools open for a new semester this week.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Chayapol Thitisak Teachers said teachers should provide information about various safety precaution and set a good example so pupils are careful and have a safety-first awareness.

He said accident-prone areas include deteriorated or under-construction buildings, broken desks/chairs, unruly grass-filled space, and un-fenced wells or ponds. Students' play fighting or climbing structures could lead to accidents, he said. 

Classroom activities that could lead to accidents included conducting a chemical experiment, using lab equipment or playing sport, he said. Other threats included a broken electrical appliance and unsafe traffic conditions within a school compound.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30369495

thenation_logo.jpg

A lot of more thought should be given to the safety of the Children BEFORE and AFTER School.

Overloaded School Mini Vans 

Kids as young as 8 on Motorcycles racing around the streets

A few broken desks and chairs, and a wobbly climbing frame seem to pale into insignificance 

i use the boat on the san saeb canal in bangkok, we pass kindergarten, the back gate is always open to the canal side path and there is a non child proof barrier between the path and canal. absolutely no thought has been given to child protection or safety, why anyone would entrust their children to such a place is beyond me.

I think the teachers should stick to teaching. The school's owners should appoint maintenance staff as well as a health and safety manager. They should also make sure they have adequate insurance. As private and International Schools pay no corporation tax in Thailand and don't even have to pay into the social security scheme for teaching staff, they should have no excuse for not having the funds to spend on safety management.

Well if children under 16 riding motor cycles to school was banned, providing transport by the safer ( but not always safe) Song Taew then that would be a great start as more pupils would get to and from school without injuries.  But given the mentality of many parents I can not see that happening soon.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said accident-prone areas include deteriorated or under-construction buildings, broken desks/chairs, unruly grass-filled space, and un-fenced wells or ponds. Students' play fighting or climbing structures could lead to accidents, he said

All of which should NOT exist in a school area, maybe it's the school principal that should be educated!!!

When I teach kids about Electricity in M2 Science, one of the sub-topics is electrical safety.  After teaching them about dangerous electrical practices, I divide them into 4 or 5 groups, hand them a worksheet, and tell them to find and improper/dangerous outlet/wiring/etc., describe and draw a picture of the problem and tell me how it should be fixed. 

It never takes them more than 15 or 20 minutes to do this! ????

7 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

When I teach kids about Electricity in M2 Science, one of the sub-topics is electrical safety.  After teaching them about dangerous electrical practices, I divide them into 4 or 5 groups, hand them a worksheet, and tell them to find and improper/dangerous outlet/wiring/etc., describe and draw a picture of the problem and tell me how it should be fixed. 

It never takes them more than 15 or 20 minutes to do this! ????

I was guessing the entire class time 

Archived