Government health Insurance and mandatory health insurance for foreigners

khaepmu

After I was made redundant a year ago I was asked at the local government social services office if I wanted to keep my government health insurance, the one that i was covered under while I was working. I asked what was involved and they said they wanted  a Thai bank account number and they would then deduct about 450 Baht a month for the insurance. I was given a card with my name my name  on it and the expiration date which was one year from that day. They assured me that the insurance covered everything, up until I die. I went to the office to renew the card and they told me the card is no longer used. I can just use my passport. I am wondering if this insurance will satisfy the upcoming "Immigration mandatory insurance for foreigners' should I apply for an AO Visa. 

Interesting question. I have been thinking along similar lines.

I have been paying into the government Social Security scheme since it first started. 450 baht deducted automatically every month. Never made a claim or visited a government hospital though, as I have overseas medical insurance - but just as in in-patient. For OPD I pay as I go.

I would hope to use the SS as proof of OPD coverage.

There is no mention of SS for foreigners in any of the 'fluff' being printed at the moment. I guess that I will find out on my next visa/work permit renewal next year.

Can anyone apply for this? My wife was talking about it the other day
Of course not. People legally employed with a work permit (except for private school employees) get it with monthly payroll deductions. They can opt to continue it by direct pay after leaving employment.

Not employed ---> can't get it.

However if married to a government civil servant you are eligible for cover under their Civil Service SS.

Regular SS does not cover spouses only the employee.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Speaking of health insurance, I keep hearing that 70 and over cannot get health insurance at all.

I am a few decades away but what do you do in that case?  If you are 70 and over.

No company would actually sell you one? What do you do?  Have 3 million baht in the bank?

Are there catastrophic health insurance with super high deductible for a 70 years old?

Archived