Postal Service Bad Apple(s)

brahmburgers

It's not only parcels and mail sent overseas, but also domestic mail that can get stolen by Thai postal workers. What's the solution? I don't know - other than caveat emptor (customer beware).

Recently, I sent a mobile phone and some cash to a friend in another part of Thailand - all very well hidden in the package. I sent it regular mail. Perhaps it was the 'roman' lettering that made it more enticing to a thief, I don't know, but the package never got to its destination, and was not returned.

If I were to go complain to the sending P.O. (which I've done before, when other packages never reached their destinations overseas), the head man would probably call out to the room full of workers, something like; "did anyone steal a package from this farang?" ....and possibly ellicit a few concerned looks, and a rhetorical question or two, and not much else.

It's similar to the stories that are starting to surface regarding things stolen from luggage at the new airport. Thai authorities have neither the will nor the skills to seriously investigate such things. In a superstitious society steeped in 'mai pen rai' and tolerance - it's more within the Thai character to brush uncomfortable things under the table.

A Thai friend told me a story that happened to him: He found a postal worker had stolen a package addressed to him. My friend confronted the postal worker - and the postal worker put up such a convincing sad sack apology (crying that he would lose his job if reported) that my good-hearted friend acquiesced and didn't tell authorities. That story annoyed me, because by letting the thief get off - he was allowing him to go on stealing mail - possibly for many more years.

It's not only parcels and mail sent overseas, but also domestic mail that can get stolen by Thai postal workers. What's the solution? I don't know - other than caveat emptor (customer beware).

Recently, I sent a mobile phone and some cash to a friend in another part of Thailand - all very well hidden in the package. I sent it regular mail. Perhaps it was the 'roman' lettering that made it more enticing to a thief, I don't know, but the package never got to its destination, and was not returned.

If you did mail valuable stuff like a cellphone and cash, why didn't you register your mail, make it more secure in traceable?

You aren't allergic to registering parcels like you are to MSG, are you? :o

Edited by ThaiGoon

I sent a mobile, Blackberry, from the UK to my mate in Krassang, sent international signed for, it was sent sometime in July 2006, he received it on 2nd Jan, we both thought it had been nicked, could not beleive it, i put a claim into the post office and had refund and value of item.

When i did the tracking, it said still in UK. so i do not think the fault was in thailand. i send packages out quite regular, and posting from the UK, it normally takes 5 days, which is good.

I sent a mobile, Blackberry, from the UK to my mate in Krassang, sent international signed for, it was sent sometime in July 2006, he received it on 2nd Jan, we both thought it had been nicked, could not beleive it, i put a claim into the post office and had refund and value of item.

When i did the tracking, it said still in UK. so i do not think the fault was in thailand. i send packages out quite regular, and posting from the UK, it normally takes 5 days, which is good.

I regularly mail packages back to Thailand from the US. It takes about 7-10 days which is awesome. I also have never had any problems.

P.S. I hadn't seen your handle before I chose mine. I'm sorry. Had I seen it, I most certainly wouldn't have picked this one.

ok, in hindsight, registered would have been smarter. I already know mail sent (or coming from) overseas has a chance of being stolen or tampered with, but I naively thought mail sent within Thailand would be relatively safe. I was wrong. My opinion of the Thai Postal Service has slid down several notches.

About 12 years ago in Haadrin, the PO was privately run, I think. I got my foreign mail from the GPO, but all the stamps were cut off and every letter opened, every time. One friend said in his letter that he was including the few hundred baht he had leftover for treats for his beach dog. :o:D:D Gone, along with the stamp, but at least I got the letter.

Send important stuff EMS domestic. Never goes missing.

IYou aren't allergic to registering parcels like you are to MSG, are you? :o

Typical Thai attitude . Laughing about theft of valuables from what should be a secure public service. This is why it does and will continue to happen.

Unlike us, you're stuck here. We can move out anytime we want. So this will affect you in the future more than us.

Sum num naa.

It happens everywhere not just in Thailand.

I've never had any probs with the mail here, either sending or receiving mail in 8 years.

One time I even had to go to the post office to pick up a letter to me that had been damaged and the side was torn open ... the guys at the post office wanted me to make sure and sign that everything was still there including the letter and a couple of one hundred baht bills in cash and some twenties that my mum had sent.

It's not all bad news ! :o

Typical Thai attitude . Laughing about theft of valuables from what should be a secure public service. This is why it does and will continue to happen.

Unlike us, you're stuck here. We can move out anytime we want. So this will affect you in the future more than us.

Sum num naa.

Good luck in Cambodia, hater. :o And thanks. I've never lost any mail in my life. Strange that it only happened to a few farangs on TV. Not that I doubted the OP's story you know.

A Post Office workere was sorting through the envleopes for delivery he discovered a letter

addressed as follows:

GOD

c/o Heaven

Upon opening the envelope, a letter enclosed was from a little old lady who had never asked for anything in her life, but was desperately in need of £100 for food and was wondering if God could send her the money.

Well he was deeply touched and made a collection from his fellow workmates and collected £90 and sent it off to the old lady. A few weeks later another letter arrived addressed to God, so he opened it and it read

"Thank you for the money, God, I deeply appreciate it, and I can now feed myself this month. However I though you should know that I only received £90. It must have been those thieving gits at the Post Office."

Edited by tolsti

Our neice is a supervisor in a mail sorting centre near BKK - she says staff are dismissed immediately if caught knocking off mail. She has also had the pleasure of tending to it.

Indeed shaky,but isn't this problem not in every country?I mean not considerably bad in thailand if compared with the netherlands.But indeed in happened to me as well.The quick signed service is reliable,but bit more expensive,if sending valuable stuff you have to take the service,to much at stake!!

Anyone who mails cash, using any post office in the world, is an idiot. You deserve to have it stolen, for making such a bonehead decision... Word to the wise - this is why Western Union was established.

Edited by jbowman1993

Anyone who mails cash, using any post office in the world, is an idiot. You deserve to have it stolen, for making such a bonehead decision... Word to the wise - this is why Western Union was established.

TRUE

• 4 months later...

Just received a phone call from upset BF. He works for a government department in Bangkok. Today is his birthday. I sent him a priority paid international post A4 sized envelope to his work address. I wrote his name and work address in English. Alongside that, I put his name and work address in Thai script.

The envelope arrived on his desk a few minutes ago. It had been sliced open and all the contents removed. I have a tracking number for the envelope - I know it travelled from Australia to Thailand safely. Nobody in his office opened the personally addressed letter - so the problem must have originated when the mail landed in Thailand.

Bastards!!!

Peter

From other threads on the subject of lost mail in Thailand I seem to remember that this is a problem at some specific post offices. Therefore, I believe it would be useful if posters talking about their personal experiences mentioned the name of the post offices involved.

Let’s start with brahmburgers. From what post office did you send your item? What was the destination post office?

--

Maestro

We sent a PC computer from Korat to just outside BKK via post. Maybe 500-600kms. All paperwork was done in Thai. 2 boxes. One with monitor and 1 with PC. 200baht for each box. Total 400 baht. The boxes were charged by weight.

The PC arrived, and the monitor arrived 3 days later. We panicked that something may have happened to the monitor, maybe fell of the truck? But, we decided not to call the post office. Didn't want anyone losing face and taking it out on my monitor. But yeah everything arrived in working condition eventually.

I am very surprised and happy that the computer works after a week on Thailand's highways.

ok, in hindsight, registered would have been smarter. I already know mail sent (or coming from) overseas has a chance of being stolen or tampered with, but I naively thought mail sent within Thailand would be relatively safe. I was wrong. My opinion of the Thai Postal Service has slid down several notches.

i have never had a thing go missing with registered mail international or domestic. I would also never send anything valuable in any country that is not registered.