Surprising Electricity Bill Increase

funlovinkid

OP, we had a couple of weeks with temperatures that made your units work very hard. Besides, you might need a cleanup, some new fluid.

Don't worry; you're not alone. My salary ten years ago was 2,600 baht higher than it is now. And things were dirt cheap ten years ago not only electricity.

• Thanks 1

A number of recent topics on this subject. Here's one:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1101993-electric-bill-oddities/

Am also in Pattaya and the unit consumption has been increasing for me as well.

Feb - 1286

Mar - 1487

Apr - 1638

May - 1975

So, really glad that the weather has just turned. I have kept records for the last 6 years and yes, this is not out of the ordinary at this time of year.

• Like 2

It has been hot both day and night for the last month and my usage is the highest in more than 10 years here in Bangkok.  2209 units ending today.  It is not just AC but refrigerators/water coolers/ice makers also use a lot of electric when rooms are as hot as this year (and I have 6 of them running).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well assuming there is no funny business going on.  Get your air conditioner cleaned by a professional HVAC guy.  A dirty air con can be pulling a bunch of juice. For the 1000 or so baht it will cost to clean its worth the effort. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyyy said:

Well assuming there is no funny business going on.  Get your air conditioner cleaned by a professional HVAC guy.  A dirty air con can be pulling a bunch of juice. For the 1000 or so baht it will cost to clean its worth the effort. 

Definitely if AC has not been cleaned both inside unit and outside unit the efficiency of the AC is in question. Don't use the AC for a couple hours and read the meter before and after and then switch on the AC and read meter again for the time and compare how much the AC increases the usage. 

1 hour ago, longball53098 said:

Definitely if AC has not been cleaned both inside unit and outside unit the efficiency of the AC is in question. Don't use the AC for a couple hours and read the meter before and after and then switch on the AC and read meter again for the time and compare how much the AC increases the usage. 

worth a try 

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Something nobody has ever been able to tell me, why does my air-con need yearly maintenance (beyond air filter cleaning) and my fridge and freezer not? Compressor and gas is the same, is it not?

Your fridge and freezer do not blow lots of air around, so mould and dirt have nowhere to accumulate.

You would not believe the amount of black crap that comes out of the average aircon when it is cleaned. And that's just the inside. The outside units can also get completely clogged up with black dirt.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The going rate in Pattaya is 400-500B.

That is not a proper clean. A proper clean involves partially dismantling the indoor unit, removing the cage fan and drip tray etc, cleaning the whole thing with a water jet, and also cleaning the outdoor unit and the down pipe. It takes a couple of people the best part of an hour to do and depending on the brand of aircon and on how much it is used it may need to be done up to two or three times a year.

Cleaning filters takes about two minutes as you point out and I do that myself also, every couple of weeks.

You still haven't explained why my fridge and freezer still work without needing the same 'proper clean'.

Sounds like superstition to me, the outer aircon compressor is exactly the same as the fridge compressor.

Yet is heavily featured in the 'proper clean'.

Edited by BritManToo

The hotter the weather the harder your aircon, fridge etc works = increased electricity consumption = higher bill. 

This past April and May have been unusually hotter than normal.

Edited by RBOP
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well, all I can say is 5-6 years later, it works as well as it did the day installed.

And the money I've saved on cleaning and maintenance will buy me a new one when it finally breaks.

Haven't had my fridge or freezer cleaned either and they both still work 6 years later.

Something nobody has ever been able to tell me, why does my air-con need yearly maintenance (beyond air filter cleaning) and my fridge and freezer not? Compressor and gas is the same, is it not?

why does my air-con need yearly maintenance (beyond air filter cleaning) and my fridge and freezer not? Compressor and gas is the same, is it not?

Unlike in the fridge and freezer, the AC Evaporator/Condenser coils are exposed to the elements. When pressure washed, you really can see the amount of dirt that comes out (depends how dusty your environment is too). Sometimes, you really can feel an improvement of air flow after a pressure wash of the internal unit.

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Well, all I can say is 5-6 years later, it works as well as it did the day installed.

Well you must live somewhere "very very clean"  like in a microchip fabrication plant ????

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You still haven't explained why my fridge and freezer still work without needing the same 'proper clean'.

Your fridge  doesn't have a big fan on exposed  "radiator fins"  that collect grime.. it also doesn't filter the air

it just cools the small internal amount trapped inside...