"Inverter" technology

One thing that bugs me about "inverter" units is why are they given that term?  Why not "rectified" or "smart"?  I'm guessing that appliances in the states also have that technology but (looking to help my daughter for a replacement fridge) I cannot find any indication that "inverter" is among the options.  Maybe it's called something else?  Or, maybe 120V makes it less of an advantage and just not available there.  (?)   Anybody know?

10 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

I cannot find any indication that "inverter" is among the options. 

Plenty here Steve and have seen them in HomePro, Powerbuy, Homeworks and the like.

If it is not obviously displayed (which it mostly is) then look on the yellow sticker.

Just now, xylophone said:

Plenty here Steve and have seen them in HomePro, Powerbuy, Homeworks and the like.

If it is not obviously displayed (which it mostly is) then look on the yellow sticker.

Well, I know the market here.  I was referring to the market in the states.  Lowe's, for example, lists mainly by style and individual descriptions are only of features - nothing on energy consumption.

Just now, bankruatsteve said:

Well, I know the market here.  I was referring to the market in the states.  Lowe's, for example, lists mainly by style and individual descriptions are only of features - nothing on energy consumption.

Sorry Steve, thought you were talking about Thailand...........good luck with finding one!